ATT is stupid....nobody with Google. Google is just awesome, and big too, so I'm sure anything they are doing is 110% legit.

Go GOOGLE, Burn in HELL ATT along with your IPHONE
  2.    #3  
    AT&T is acting the in the interest of self preservation. They are bleeding in their original bread and butter - land lines, they don't want anyone getting into their cell phone business.

I don't see anything against the iPhone in particular, each one to their own taste. It is simple and easy to use plus it has mass appeal, pretty much the same line as the iPod and Mac's.

As long as AT&T continues to take advance of the iPhone mass appeal and mine that revenue, AT&T will do what it needs to do to continue that business.

Talking about revenue, I have 10 people where I work at, 6 of them uses iPhone (plus their teen kids as well) and they all have voice and data plans. Sad thing is, they don't use the maximize the use of the data plans, all they do is look up stuff via the apps or browser and pretty much that's it.
  3. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I don't understand how it cuts into their cell phone business. People still need a phone to make use of GV. What am I missing?

xtn
  4.    #5  
    I don't know, maybe because the calls will not go through AT&T network.

AT&T Sept. 25 sent a letter to the Federal Communications Commission protesting Google's blocking of telephone calls from consumers that use its Google Voice service to call phone numbers with inflated access charges in certain rural areas.

AT&T argued that by blocking these calls, Google reduces its access expenses, giving it an advantage phone carriers are prevented from enjoying and thus skewering the competition principles in U.S. network neutrality laws.
    I am reading that report and AT&T is stating the Google is blocking telephone calls from consumers. Am I reading that right? Why would Google Voice block the calls? Isn't it the other way around?
    Gvoice allows a user to block calls from those marked as spam... Consumers want this ability, does ATT not?
  6.    #7  
    That's what AT&T is referencing as affecting the user experience? Sounds like lawyer speak to me and misdirection.
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    Gvoice allows a user to block calls from those marked as spam... Consumers want this ability, does ATT not?
    OMG does this mean you can actually easily block phone salesmen? I can't wait till I get my Google Voice invite!
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  8.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    OMG does this mean you can actually easily block phone salesmen? I can't wait till I get my Google Voice invite!
    I actually did not know I have have been doing that since the Grand Central days (predecessor of GV). For GV to work, you give your GV number instead your own number for people to call you, so that all calls are processed through rules that you set up yourself.