1.    #1  
    Okay, so I called AT&T the other day to ask about stuff since my 2 year contract with them is ending tonight at midnight. ASAP I'd like to switch my brother and I to an Everything Data Family Plan on Sprint. I hope to get my Pre in the next couple of days... but there's an issue.. Keep reading...

Back in January of 2008 or so I pulled my brother onto my iPhone plan, thus creating a family plan. When I asked about porting and everything and when I could do it the rep said that when I transferred my brother to my account it renewed the contract on his line, and thus making it so it won't expire until January 2010. What the hell is that? All I did was bring my brother's line from my parents' family plan that it was on originally to my plan. It was always the same number, line, etc. Why would they say that the contract on his line was renewed? That doesn't make sense to me. My brother's line was never its own account. My parents were paying for it, and for awhile I was.

Can anyone shed some light on this? My brother [and I] are going to call AT&T and protest this, but is there anything I should know about something like this? Is there any chance that we can waive his ETF and port his number to Sprint sooner than January? I do NOT want to pay them any more money, not even month-to-month.

I'm getting tired of AT&T's bullsh*t.

Thanks,
    An annoyed Shiggitay
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Sounds like typical sell phone company BS. I hate **** like this.

I've heard that if you can provide proof that you will be leaving the country, that can help with ATT. But that's prob not be feasible.

Here's a somewhat dated link to an internal AT$T manual about how to deal with customer issues that might give you some indication of what you could say/what ange to play: Leaks: Internal AT&T Manual For Handling All Kinds Of Customer Complaints

In my experience dealing with this (I have leveraged new phones out of loopholes in past), I get a lot of mileage from the following:

1. Being *very* respectful of the CSR and appealing to their power--to whatever extent they have it: "I know this isn't your fault. Is there anything you can think of that might help me out?"

2. Googling anything I can think of that will lead to recent loopholes in contracts or help me find the key language to use when I call.

If none of that pans out, how much is the ETF? I would be tempted to pay it just to get away from AT$T.

Good luck.
    Last edited by srfcrzy; 09/07/2009 at 09:33 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by srfcrzy View Post
    Sounds like typical sell phone company BS. I hate **** like this.

I've heard that if you can provide proof that you will be leaving the country, that can help with ATT. But that's prob not be feasible.

Here's a somewhat dated link to an internal AT$T manual about how to deal with customer issues that might give you some indication of what you could say/what ange to play: Leaks: Internal AT&T Manual For Handling All Kinds Of Customer Complaints

In my experience dealing with this (I have leveraged new phones out of loopholes in past), I get a lot of mileage from the following:

1. Being *very* respectful of the CSR and appealing to their power--to whatever extent they have it: "I know this isn't your fault. Is there anything you can think of that might help me out?"

2. Googling anything I can think of that will lead to recent loopholes in contracts or help me find the key language to use when I call.

If none of that pans out, how much is the ETF? I would be tempted to pay it just to get away from AT$T.

Good luck.
    My brother doesn't want to spend money unnecessarily, so I doubt he'd pay $175 as an ETF and then spend MORE to start a new contract. We're not made of money. lol

Oh and yeah... I'm not leaving the US anytime soon, as far as I know. lol.

About those "leakt" documents: I'll look into those as bait for conversation with these bastards.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Shiggitay; 09/07/2009 at 09:59 AM.
    the ETF is Progressive. IT should be lower than the 175. Be sure to tell care that you were not aware that doing a transfer of responsibility would extend your contract. You did not sign anything to that nature. Be respectful, but don't take NO for an answer.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    the ETF is Progressive. IT should be lower than the 175. Be sure to tell care that you were not aware that doing a transfer of responsibility would extend your contract. You did not sign anything to that nature. Be respectful, but don't take NO for an answer.
    I did indeed read that contract I signed, and I don't remember seeing anything that said any of the lines would induce a contract renewal. I'll make that a point in our convo.

How low do you think the ETF would be? If it would be less than $175 I think my brother would be more able to pay it if need be.

In any case, if they keep going on and on about their policies and won't let the fee be waived, then I'll go on the $69.99 plan:

• Unlimited data: Web surfing, email, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS), GPS Navigation, Music Premier, TV Premier, NFL Mobile Live, NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM

• Unlimited Direct Connect: Direct Connect and Group Connect (for capable phones)

• Unlimited messaging: Text, pictures and video

• Talk: Unlimited mobile to mobile, night calling and weekends starting at 7 p.m., nationwide long distance and no roaming charges

• Anytime Minutes: 450

until January, and then we'd make an Everything Data Family plan when his line is ready to be released from AT&T.

In regards to that: if I start an Everything Data plan as outlined above, would my brother be eligible for a free phone when I add him to my plan again? Is that possible to do?
    At&t did the same bs with me I argued my *** off to no avail so I just cancelled and sold my iphone to make up for the fee. I honestly think at&t has the worst customer service but hey its just my opnion.
  7.    #7  
    Haha well since my contract with them (AT&T) is now over, my brother and I called AT&T, and he's gonna have a separate contract for $39.99, and we just ported my number to Sprint and my Pre should be here sometime this week! I got the Everything Data for $69.99 as I outlined above. WHEEEE!

Thanks for your input everyone. I'm finally gonna join the Pre revolution!