1.    #1  
    I was an early Treo adopter, (600) had a 'smartphone' plan before they were called smartphones... and got a good deal at my agreed minutes cost + $19.95 for unlimited data + 1500 messages. am perfectly happy with that. (It was the only plan they offered at that time, and I bought my phone +plan in an AT&T store... nothing fishy about it)

Today while checking an account issue with AT&T the service rep announced to me that my plan was not the right one, and that I should be paying $30 + extras, and I needed to change it up, and they were going to mark my account for inspection, as I was using a smartphone.

there's nothing wrong with my plan - I like it, it works, and gives me all I need. what it doesnt do is let AT&T make more money for the same service I've had for years, plus charge me another $10 for SMS messages.

So... can they force me to pay more? and make me pay them $30 + messages, or should I just insist on sitting tight? whats my answer if they come back at me on this?

thanks all!
    No. At least not yet, they could on your next upgrade if they wanted to press it, I wouldn't worry as your ltv is prolly high and your account says its grandfathered....I wouldn't do anything to warrant a new contract though...ie relocation/migration or upgrade.

If and only if your willing to walk on att, be sure to let them know that and someone should be able to help. But note the diff in data speed between that old treo and an 3GS.

That's the diff in pricing, so if ur using a 3G phone but paying 2G speeds are you entitled to keep the old rate? Just my .02 cents....
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 07/29/2009 at 05:22 PM.
    I've seen this happen before... Typically you can only be forced into a new plan when you upgrade to a new phone though the carrier. When you upgrade, you will be signing a new contract and at that point they have the ability (and right) to force current pricing plans onto you. Over aggressive sales people who don't understand contract law will tend to get snippy with you and act like they are the final word in it. If the salesperson was so smart, they wouldn't be working at a ground-level sales position (not that there's anything wrong with that since I have 15+ years of sales under my belt).

The best way for you to keep your current pricing would be to not draw any attention to yourself. If you need a new phone, simply buy one through an outlet like eBay, or another 3rd party and switch your SIM card into the new phone. One thing.. if AT&T finds out that the phone you are currenly using isn't the phone you signed the contract under (such as if you upgraded to a better phone through buying a used/refurbished one somewhere else without a contract) and you are using that newer phone with your old plan... they do have the right to force you into a new contract at that point. I hope that makes sense (it's late). As long as you are using the original phone under the original contract - you cannot be forced into a new rate plan.

Hope that helps a little.... if not, blame it on me being tired.
  4.    #4  
    that does make sense, thanks.

when I buy a new phone and swap the card out, can they tell at their end - is there a way for their system to interrogate the phone and know what model it is?!

I always buy unlocked GSM models, and keep out of the grip of plan 'upgrades'.
    A dollar a day seems like the going rate for unlimited data through the major carriers.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    AT&T's old data plans (MediaNet) were intended only for e-mail and using the AT&T built-in web apps. That was back when no one would use a browser because they were so terrible. Not too long after that they added what they now call data-plans. For a long time people would try to get PDA phones under the first kind of plan because they worked exactly the same and cost about half. Now AT&T is insisting that people who have actual PDAs (or SmartPhones) get the PDA data plan.
  7.    #7  
    yes, kind of right - it was a 'media works' package that included 1500 text message and 200mms messages and unlimited internet access (most important) for $19.95. obviously they don't want me on this anymore, as its great value, but... I'm going to fight hard to keep it, as its about $25/mo cheaper than the i-phone plan equivalent! (or even more if you add taxes and mms messaging).

Am still using a Treo, which is what they sold it to me with as a package, so I don't see why they would be able to force me to change.

If I do upgrade to a privately bought unlocked phone (iPhone or Nokia E71/72 or GSM pre if it ever arrives) I wouldn't tell them or make a song and dance about it, and I'm hoping that doesn't allow them to force me to change.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peegeenyc View Post
    yes, kind of right - it was a 'media works' package that included 1500 text message and 200mms messages and unlimited internet access (most important) for $19.95. obviously they don't want me on this anymore, as its great value, but... I'm going to fight hard to keep it, as its about $25/mo cheaper than the i-phone plan equivalent! (or even more if you add taxes and mms messaging).

Am still using a Treo, which is what they sold it to me with as a package, so I don't see why they would be able to force me to change.

If I do upgrade to a privately bought unlocked phone (iPhone or Nokia E71/72 or GSM pre if it ever arrives) I wouldn't tell them or make a song and dance about it, and I'm hoping that doesn't allow them to force me to change.
    fyi, when you swap a sim, AT&T knows about it. they won't say anything if you don't though. Ie., calling cust support.
    if you ever logged into your AT&T account via the web, you can see this happen. it tells you what kind of phone is on the network. change sims and the webpage gets refreshed with the new device....
    Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    fyi, when you swap a sim, AT&T knows about it. they won't say anything if you don't though. Ie., calling cust support.
    if you ever logged into your AT&T account via the web, you can see this happen. it tells you what kind of phone is on the network. change sims and the webpage gets refreshed with the new device....
    I'm not sure that is always the case. I had a LG Shine and I knew I would be upgrading to a LG Incite so I went ahead and added the $15 unlimited data plan that was allowed for the Shine prior to purchasing the Incite. I bought the Incite through AT&T's website and when it came I switched out the sim and they never updated the site with me having an Incite. The only time anything was said was when I was shopping for a new phone for the second line and they told me that a smartphone required $30 data plan. I informed the guy of the plan I was on and he basically said I shouldn't be getting it for $15 and that when I upgraded/changed anything on the account I would have to change to the $30 plan.....Upgrade time came.....and I got a 2 Pre for just $15 more than what I would have paid for 1 smartphone.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Cellular networks identify the handset based on its IMEI. I'd assume that whether or not AT&T's OLAM shows you're using X device or Y device, they're aware of what you're using. I previously had AT&T and even though OLAM showed one device, customer service knew I had a Sony-Ericsson K790a, which they don't sell.
    i can tell you as a fact that we can not reckongize it on almost all phones. We have to ask for it during an activation of COAM or customer owned equipment.
    If we dont have it we cant help tech wise, and it can cause problems with data.
    However, good luck on the iphone, activating it through Itunes is gonna let ATT know your using it and
    ALL IPHONES REQUIRE THE IPHONE DATA PLAN no exceptions, also you get to take a 2yr agreement with it as well even though its your own phone!

Quote Originally Posted by chadh88 View Post
    I'm not sure that is always the case. I had a LG Shine and I knew I would be upgrading to a LG Incite so I went ahead and added the $15 unlimited data plan that was allowed for the Shine prior to purchasing the Incite. I bought the Incite through AT&T's website and when it came I switched out the sim and they never updated the site with me having an Incite. The only time anything was said was when I was shopping for a new phone for the second line and they told me that a smartphone required $30 data plan. I informed the guy of the plan I was on and he basically said I shouldn't be getting it for $15 and that when I upgraded/changed anything on the account I would have to change to the $30 plan.....Upgrade time came.....and I got a 2 Pre for just $15 more than what I would have paid for 1 smartphone.
    I see this happen sometimes. My opinion: Why Rock the Boat? Snafus happen. Online and over the phone its more likely that the mistake won't happen but it does happen. It goes both ways though. I had a guy yesterday paying $20/line for unlimited txts. He had been doing that for quite awhile. Should he get reimbursed because family txt is only $30??
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 08/08/2009 at 11:36 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    No. At least not yet, they could on your next upgrade if they wanted to press it, I wouldn't worry as your ltv is prolly high and your account says its grandfathered....I wouldn't do anything to warrant a new contract though...ie relocation/migration or upgrade.

If and only if your willing to walk on att, be sure to let them know that and someone should be able to help. But note the diff in data speed between that old treo and an 3GS.

That's the diff in pricing, so if ur using a 3G phone but paying 2G speeds are you entitled to keep the old rate? Just my .02 cents....
    Dialup was $21.95 some time ago and Verizon starter DSL is 19.95.
    Comcast started with 3mbps, then went to 4mbps, and presently at 6mbps at the same monthly price in the east coast.
    It's competition and providers are increasing speed to remain competitive and find other means to increase profit. IE Telenav...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    However, good luck on the iphone, activating it through Itunes is gonna let ATT know your using it and
    ALL IPHONES REQUIRE THE IPHONE DATA PLAN no exceptions, also you get to take a 2yr agreement with it as well even though its your own phone!
    but if I buy an unlocked and jailbroken iphone, eg from eBay, and just put my Sim card in,then surely no need to activate through iTunes? or am I not understanding the reach of Apple's tentacles?!