Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Computerworld does a detailed comparison of 3G speeds of Sprint, Verizon and AT&T across the country and finds overall that AT&T comes out on time by far. So much for claims here to the contrary regarding Sprint. The article link is below:

Review: Which 3G network is the best?
    I don't care what any studies say. I have Sprint, my brother and father have iPhones, we go around the NY tristate area and their data is slower, and 3G is less available than me on Sprint. That's my experience and what I see everyday, a study won't change my mind and everyones mileage will vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    Computerworld does a detailed comparison of 3G speeds of Sprint, Verizon and AT&T across the country and finds overall that AT&T comes out on time by far. So much for claims here to the contrary regarding Sprint. The article link is below:

Why do you assume this study is more credible then the one Sprint quotes? You havnt exactly done a good job of appearing unbiased here...
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I was not trying to be biased as you imply. I will be glad to look at another study, including the one you reference, of which I was unaware.
    Last edited by hbg; 05/27/2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Typo
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Bryan, give me a link to the one Sprint quotes so I can read it.
    I noticed that this article was published in March of 2008. A lot could have changed since then. (For example, T-Mobile now has 3G, I believe, and at the time the article was written, it stated that T-Mobile had not rolled out 3G, yet.)

The real question is which carrier has the best 3G network as of 2009.
    How we tested
    To gauge the speed and reliability of these three wireless data networks, I used my ThinkPad X300 to collect nearly 500 data points at eight different places in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, within a 50-mile radius of midtown Manhattan's urban canyons.
    ahh, what an amazing nationwide study.

This test is the most frequently cited by Sprint: Gizmodo - The Definitive Coast-to-Coast 3G Data Test - 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post

Hmm, A non-Pre thread, in a Pre forum.. *claps*

FAIL
    The one the OP linked was done in a tri-state area. Didn't sound very reliable from what i glanced at to make any meaningful overall conclusions.
    The GIzmodo one is more up-to-date. I have Sprint in the Tri State area and I can tell you its faster than AT&T.
    I think it's very important to look at the exact wording on the company's claims. I don't have quotes in front of me but I think the last time I saw a claim from Sprint they were saying they had the "nation's most reliable 3G network". It would be possible that AT&T has the "fastest" network, Verizon has the "largest" network, and Sprint has the "most reliable" network. It's all about what claim they make and what data supports that claim.

EDIT: Sprint's site says "Most Dependable 3G Network", Verizon says "American's largest 3G network", and can't find anything on AT&T's website making a specific 3G claim to fame.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Sorry. I looked at what I said and it is inflammatory. My apologies.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    Hmm, A non-Pre thread, in a Pre forum.. *claps*

FAIL
    I don't agree. 3g speed is a relevant consideration about the Pre and this forum is filled with people citing superior Sprint 3g speed in support of the Pre.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    if thats true then 3G service in America is just **** poor. My buddy with an iPhone loses 3G service all the time. Cant comment on Sprints since I have an old clam shell dumb phone.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    if thats true then 3G service in America is just **** poor. My buddy with an iPhone loses 3G service all the time. Cant comment on Sprints since I have an old clam shell dumb phone.
    It definitely has a long way to go.
    Biggest problem with most evaluations is that they don't test across the country with thousands of users. Dslreports.com has a great archive of users across the country. Looks like Sprint leads for cellphones..

http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed?domains=1

Here are laptop card results...
    Speed Test Statistics - dslreports.com

Samples Down Upload
    113 747 369 Sprint Mobile Broadband:
    105 727 353 Verizon Wireless
    28 622 374 Cingular: US mobile provider (ATT)

These results change all the time though. No provider consistently leads and all are sometimes on top. Wireless data is fickle.

ATT also misleads with their map. They show 2g/3g coverage combined. They have much less national 3G coverage than Sprint/Verizon.
    Last edited by xenophonite; 05/27/2009 at 11:41 AM.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    I was looking at the AT&T coverage map yesterday since I hope to have an unlocked GSM pre by the end of the year. If you choose a less than national view (2nd or 3rd rectangle from the bottom on the left side of the map) you can check a box to see 3G coverage separately (shown in blue). If you're interested.
    from the engadget review of the pre

"Our major gripe is actually directed at Sprint's network: you can't do voice and data concurrently with EV-DO, which meant that we were constantly getting a spew of emails after speaking to someone on the phone. The problem is circumvented if you're in WiFi range, but that doesn't help you if you're on the road. The same goes for web browsing or any other instance where you need to use data -- you're not going to be checking out sports scores while talking to your buddies, and that kind of stinks."

-this is one reason I see why some people might rate AT&T's 3G > Sprint's
    That because AT&T and T-Mobile 3G uses two "radios", one for voice (GSM) and one for data (WCDMA).

Sprint and Verizon only have one handling both voice and data.

I would agree it is nice to be able to do both at once. However, AT&T's 3G coverage (consistent, stable) is poor compared to Sprint, and it is insanely more expensive. (I'm referring to data here.) Voice quality is also worse compared to Sprint or Verizon.)
    AT&T is absolutely horrible for 3G in the SF Bay Area. They're EDGE network still looks to be reliable, but who wants to be on EDGE on a high-end phone? All AT&T has going for it is the brand-name, and the fact that its got the iPhone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast