1.    #1  
    I have posted on this subject before, along with several other people having the same problem.
    I'm on my 2nd replacement phone now, and it's doing the same thing again, every once in a while, I get the message - "attaching GPRS, please wait", and I am unable to access ANYTHING Internet related, email, web browser,weather updates, etc. Then the phone goes crazy, and locks up, wont turn the screen off, or turns the screen off, but then wont come back on.

I have called Cingular / ATT on this problem, and I have spoken to techs at Palm about it also. They all have the same solution, turn pone off, then on again, soft reset, hard reset. etc.

Does anyone know what this attaching gprs message means? none of the customer service people can seem to answer that question either.
    I'm getting ready to send my phone back in , and get a 3rd one to try. I love the 680, but I'm getting tired of exchanging phones, just to have the exact same problem on the new one each time.

Anyone have any idea of what could cause this problem? or what I could do to avoid it? (other than stop using the 680). ???

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I am in a very weak signal area right now, and my 680 gets the same Attaching GPRS - Please Wait prompt also. I suspect it has to do with a difficulty getting the GPRS portion of the connection going.

How is reception (standard phone type) where you are?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    I am in a very weak signal area right now, and my 680 gets the same Attaching GPRS - Please Wait prompt also. I suspect it has to do with a difficulty getting the GPRS portion of the connection going.

How is reception (standard phone type) where you are?
    Sometimes that signal is spotty, but yesterday it happened, and I had full bars the whole time where I was at.
    When yours does this, does the phone go a little crazy? or lock up? That is my main concern, if I just had to go without internet for a while, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but it locks up my phone to where I can't make or recieve phone calls on it, for quite a long time. Usualy have to do a dozen soft resets, or even a hard reset to get it going again. & when I'm not around my laptop, hard resets are a problem.

I assumed that this might not be a phone problem, & that it has something to do with the carrier, or data signal maybe?? It's got me stumped, just wish I could figure it out, due to none of the service reps are able to give me much help, other than just continuing to replace my phone.
    Make sure you're on the latest firmware... The old firmware had some various problems with the phone when losing a signal.

I see "Attaching GPRS" when it's doing just that.. Takes a second at most, and then it's done. And it's always when I'm in and out of coverage, or I've just turned the phone on and data is trying to connect faster than the phone associates with the towers.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Make sure you're on the latest firmware... The old firmware had some various problems with the phone when losing a signal.

I see "Attaching GPRS" when it's doing just that.. Takes a second at most, and then it's done. And it's always when I'm in and out of coverage, or I've just turned the phone on and data is trying to connect faster than the phone associates with the towers.

I am showing v.3.0a.1 as my firmware,I assume that is the newest version? I did the upgrade when it came out.
    It has done this on both the old, and new versions.

Every time I see the Attaching GPRS prompt, it stays on that screen, or locks up, I don't recall it ever just doing it for a few seconds, then going away, and working correctly.
    What happens if you cancel out the Attaching GPRS prompt?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    What happens if you cancel out the Attaching GPRS prompt?

It goes ahead and trys to open up, but always ends up with the error message saying something about "could not connect, please check your network settings and try again"
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kiancheong View Post

Yep, sounds like the same thing, I'm just trying to figure out how to FIX the problem, not just the symptoms.
    I did a hard-reset and tried... it's the same. Sounds like a ROM problem, or worst, a hardware problem.
  11.    #11  
    Just got off the phone with the ATT tech AGAIN..... they are sending me my 3rd 680 tomorrow.
    We'll see if the 3rd time is the charm.

I took the sim card out, and everything works fine without it in there, no lock ups, no lights staying on, it seems just fine unless I have a signal / sim card in it. Any idea of why it would be that way?

Can a 3rd party app. cause problems like this?

I have the following installed...
    Butler
    2 Day
    4 Cast
    CallRec
    Directory Assistant
    Google Maps
    Mobile TS
    MTRVL link
    NV Backup
    pNotes
    TCPMP
    Minitones
    Bejeweled
    Bike or Die
    Arcade Reality (game)

Has anyone had any problems with any of the above apps.?? If so I will get rid of any buggy ones, just not sure where to start.
  12.    #12  
    Just a note on something I noticed...

When I removed the sim card, and turned it on. It worked great, no problems at all, put the sim card back in, got a signal, & it locked up again.

Could the sim card be the problem??? maybe something wrong with it??

just a thought