1.    #1  
    I hope this is the correct sub-forum. I don't usually venture outside of the 750 area. I've cross posted this to the what-mobile site but I think readers here will have a better appreciation for data requirements (if possible)

-->
    I've got a Treo 750v which I plan to unlock this week. While I will stay with Vodafone for the UK I am about to get married in Hawaii (USA) but do not want to pay VF roaming prices (99p p/m to receive calls!). Most of the usage will be to help arrange the marriage details in Honolulu. I've been looking at several options (see links below) but have two questions for readers like you...

1) These options don't seem to include 3G or data. Any recommendations on this as mobile access to my hotmail will be very handy

2) Anyone used any of these enough to recommend one? It shouldn't be crazy expensive to call me from the UK but also be reasonable for USA based people to call either.

There are also bonus points for a solution that can be used on future trips around the world (such as Japan next May). So 0044's offering of a state based number will be great in the short-term but weak in the long term - especially if the credit expires.

Hope someone can help!
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    The links didn't appear.

But if you need data in the US for a short time, unfortunately the only thing I can think of without seeing the links, is ATT pre-paid. But data is expensive pay as you go. ATT prepaid offers data access via Media Net. Just get the SIM but do NOT tell them it will be used in a PDA phone because you MAY have problems with data. Some stores don't care, some do. Maybe get a cheap unlocked phone to show them if they ask what phone you're using it in.

Forget US T-Mobile's prepaid for data. All you get is T-Zones, which is so bare bones, it's almost useless. However, I wonder if UK T-Mobile SIMs would let you roam on US T-Mobile's network for the time you're here.

Sorry I couldn't help further.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    I have never used those. Hopefully someone else can help with those.

But while here in the US, if those you mentioned don't offer it, an ATT prepaid card seems your best bet if you need data IMO. I just remembered that the 750V does have the US 3G network band, so you can get 3G here on ATT.

Perhaps T-Mobile UK has roaming prepaid you can use that will include data for the US T-Mobile network, but the US T-Mobile network is EDGE only at this point.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Diva.

ATT are a huge company that we in the UK have little familiarity with. I've been looking on http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...questid=204297 but I can't see any SIM only packages and keep getting asked for a ZIP code to browse further.
    Can you get your fiancee in Hawaii to order it for you, or better yet go to an ATT store and get one? If you order GoPhone online, you have to buy a crappy cheap phone to go along with it, and there's no guarantee they ship to the UK. But you can get a pre-paid SIM alone directly in the store. Or maybe try calling them and see if they can send you a SIM.

I'm surpised no one else has replied because I'm sure someone has more experience with this than I do.

7.    #7  
    Thanks for your efforts anyway. I will probably go with a non-data but worldwide reusuable solution after all. By the way my fiancée is sitting right here in the UK! We are just going to Hawaii to save costs. One trip combining wedding and honeymoon where we don't have to pay for hundreds of guests and have the two families getting tangled. ;-)
    thanks
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I am a TMO user but needed to buy a prepaid SIM card from AT&T so that I can have access in my work area for a couple of months. TMO doesn't have a strong signal on the side of building I work in.

Anyway, I just went into an AT&T store. I have data access and email. I don't use the internet on my cell so I can't say much whether is works or not or how to set it up.

That's my 2 cents.
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the feedback.

After more reasearch I learnt that global SIM cards are just as expensive to use in the US as Vodafone Roaming so I am looking at USA solutions only now. I can either get the Jolt card now or find an AT&T store in Honolulu to try and buy a pre-paid SIM.