Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. jpasint's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
       #1  
    I was wondering if anyone heard about this-

    I was at a local at&t store today and they said all Palm Treos have been recalled from their shelves and they cannot sell any due to some lawsuit by Broadcom against Palm.

    True?

    Thanks.

    Joe
  2. #2  
    You can still order them online.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  3. #3  
    Broadcom and Qualcomm are in fierce patent litigation. Affected handsets are any new 3G models imported after ban requested by US ITC. This would not affect 680, 755, 750 as they were already on store shelves at the time of ITC action. It is possible that at&t have not done a side deal with Broadcom like Verizon has to get around this matter and that Broadcom is playing hardball, demanding that all handsets with Qualcomm chips be removed from store shelves.

    If Broadcom is playing hardball then handsets (smartphone or featurephone) with Qualcomm chips from other manufacturers (Samsung and Motorola come to mind) would also have to be removed.
  4. jpasint's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    If Broadcom is playing hardball then handsets (smartphone or featurephone) with Qualcomm chips from other manufacturers (Samsung and Motorola come to mind) would also have to be removed.
    I guess they are then because they said no Treos for sale......

    Joe
  5. #5  
    I was in the mall today, and they still had a 680 displayed in Austin, Tx.
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
  6. jpasint's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbonnot03 View Post
    I was in the mall today, and they still had a 680 displayed in Austin, Tx.
    Actually they had the display models at this shop too but again, he said they have none that could be sold because they were all sent back.

    Joe
  7. Alan G's Avatar
    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    #7  
    I was in the mall today, and they still had a 680 displayed in Austin, Tx.
    As stated by detective (post 3) the Treo 680 would not be affected as they were already on sale before the ITC action was enforced.

    Alan G
  8. #8  
    Here is some language from the ITC press release regarding grandfathering certain devices (which include the 680 and 750).

    "The exclusion order does not apply to handheld wireless communications devices that are of the same models as handheld wireless communications devices that were being imported for sale to the general public on or before the date of the order, June 7, 2007. However, the order does bar the importation of new models of handheld wireless communications devices that contain Qualcomm's infringing chips and chipsets. Thus, the order "grandfathers" models of handheld wireless communications devices being imported into the United States for sale to the general public on or before June 7, 2007."

    You can read the entire news release here.
  9. pderosa's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #9  
    I thought that the Treo 680 did not have a 3g chip in it and would not be effected anyway. I thought 3g was what the legal battle was over...
  10. #10  
    I stopped by 2 different stores here and they were both quite willing to sell me one on the spot.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  11. jpasint's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    I stopped by 2 different stores here and they were both quite willing to sell me one on the spot.
    Guys, truly Iím not making this up! Maybe the salesman was incredibly mistaken?

    Joe
  12. #12  
    I think that is the case. During whatever devices silly season we have learned that most of these guys know very little and guess or flat out lie.

    If this were true it would be big news. I think we are more interested in making sure what reality is. Not disputing what you were told.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  13. jpasint's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    I think that is the case. During whatever devices silly season we have learned that most of these guys know very little and guess or flat out lie.

    If this were true it would be big news. I think we are more interested in making sure what reality is. Not disputing what you were told.
    Agreed. But it is real strange though.

    Joe
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jpasint View Post
    Guys, truly I’m not making this up! Maybe the salesman was incredibly mistaken?

    Joe
    Nooooooooooooo, salespeeps would never be mistaken!

Posting Permissions