1.    #1  
    This is HOT.

Here’s the basic idea. If you’re willing to pay $10 a month on top of a regular T-Mobile voice plan, you get a special cellphone. When you’re out and about, it works like any other phone; calls eat up your monthly minutes as usual.

But when it’s in a Wi-Fi wireless Internet hot spot, this phone offers a huge bargain: all your calls are free. You use it and dial it the same as always — you still get call hold, caller ID, three-way calling and all the other features — but now your voice is carried by the Internet rather than the cellular airwaves.

These phones hand off your calls from Wi-Fi network to cell network seamlessly and automatically, without a single crackle or pop to punctuate the switch. As you walk out of a hot spot, fewer and fewer Wi-Fi signal bars appear on the screen, until — blink! — the T-Mobile network bars replace them. (The handoff as you move in the opposite direction, from the cell network into a hot spot, is also seamless, but takes slightly longer, about a minute.)

THIS would make me switch carriers!
    I wouldn't switch carriers necessarily (hell, I think that AT&T will own it all in a year or two anyway), but I do think that this would be extremely cool.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    That is so cool and would be a big factor(i.e. deal breaker) in nagotiating a new carier if I were planning on switching, and I don't think AT&T will own it in a year or two just because of the iphone.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    This sounds like a great deal for T-mobile. People will be paying $10/month for the privelege of NOT using the T-mobile network.
    1. Has Palm signed to make a compatible Treo?

-or-

2. I'd the Foleo compatible?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Widdy View Post
    This sounds like a great deal for T-mobile. People will be paying $10/month for the privelege of NOT using the T-mobile network.
    But also lowering the number of minutes they pay for. This could be a bit risky for T-Mobile. However, they may have just accepted the inevitable fact that as phones increasingly have the ability for unlimited data plans, ultimately a third party software offering will come along to do this for the consumer and they wouldn't get a piece of that pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    [...] I don't think AT&T will own it in a year or two just because of the iphone.
    Not sure exactly what you mean here.

1) You don't think AT&T will own everything in a year because they made a mistake in offering the iPhone.
    2) You don't think the popularity of the iPhone will be enough to carry them into owning it all.
    3) ??

FWIW, the iPhone has nothing to do with my comment. The trends of the telecommunications industry do. AAMOF, if the new AT&T snaps up Verizon, I think that puts it right back to the old AT&T (Bell Atlantic and NYNEX being a decent chunk of what became Verizon).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    <moved>
    Hmmm, I saw this initially at slashdot.org and they stated there:
    The only thing missing: an estimate of when it will hit stores.
    http://slashdot.org/palm/21/07/07/05/1815218_1.shtml

I looked at T-Mobile's site, the plan is available now. http://www.t-mobile.com/Shop/Package..._HotSpotAtHome
    i tested this service in downtown brooklyn and upper east side.

not many hotspots to connect to.

only connected at home.

the phone choices suck too.

i heard, for billing purposes, they wont be switching between gsm/wifi while you are on a call. if you start on wifi, all the minutes will be "billed" to wifi, even if you start using gsm.

when i tested it, the switch was seemless.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Yep, ugly phone choices.

The concept is that if you have wifi at home (assuming you are using cable), why bother with a land line. Not really for general consumption due to limited hot spot locations outside your home.