Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hey guys well was wondering is if you actually need the 40 connect plan? cingular thinks i have a blackjack which i actually do lol but i use my treo and have not had one problem accessing anything and no extra charges. i pay 19.99 for "smartphone full connect" the pda version is 20.00 more, what the hell is the difference??? i see none lol.

i was even thinking i should call up and tell them i have a regular phone and put me on a cheaper full Internet plan. i mean is it all just marketing?? seems like there all out to scam us so we have to be smarter!!

any ideas guys?
    I was with Cingular about a year ago with a 650 and used the $20 unlimited plan. At the time, it wasn't that big of a deal except that you couldn't VPN like you could on the PDA plan. Otherwise they were virtually identical. I have heard that now they have been getting stricter and hitting people with huge data charges who abuse the $20 plan. I am on Sprint's SERO plan, so I don't have any recent personal experience.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004ep3hatch View Post
    hey guys well was wondering is if you actually need the 40 connect plan? cingular thinks i have a blackjack which i actually do lol but i use my treo and have not had one problem accessing anything and no extra charges. i pay 19.99 for "smartphone full connect" the pda version is 20.00 more, what the hell is the difference??? i see none lol.

i was even thinking i should call up and tell them i have a regular phone and put me on a cheaper full Internet plan. i mean is it all just marketing?? seems like there all out to scam us so we have to be smarter!!

any ideas guys?
    You really could search, or probably just browse the first one or two pages of this very forum, I am quite sure this has been throughly discussed.

Use the OLAM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    You really could search, or probably just browse the first one or two pages of this very forum, I am quite sure this has been throughly discussed.

Use the OLAM.
    i really do try when i come home from work but there is so much to read, also when i look it It it gives me hundreds of different things. believe me i know about the search button. I'm on a car forum and i do the same thing to other people lol. but i also just help them instead of telling them to search when i know its not the easiest thing to do sometimes.

its easier to just ask somebody more knowledgeable instead of spending hours looking for one piece of info and when especially lets say i find i still may no understand fully so i still may ask for a better explanation.

i will try again tho.
    Just get the pda connect. You can change it at home later.

Go home, go to Cingular's website. Log in. Change your phone to a "Crappy phone".

Go to your plan. Change it to Mediamax or medianet or something. Done.

You get 3G, everything. Did this with my 8525 bought from Cingular, and 680 also.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by chenling View Post

Go home, go to Cingular's website. Log in. Change your phone to a "Crappy phone".

You get 3G, everything. Did this with my 8525 bought from Cingular, and 680 also.

i have these 2 plans already

unlimited sms to any phone carrier, mms to any carrier and cingular video. (19.99)

smartphone connect 19.99.

i was thinking of dropping the smartphone connect seeing alot of people are doing this with just media max but there saying people with a treo or other ppc are getting caught and being force to have the 40.00 a month plan. if i stay with at least the smarthphone im hoping not to get caught.

all i realy do is use push email every our (imap4) and go on ie somtimes. would this cause enough data to alamr them?
    I don't think so. I signed up for the pda connect when getting my phones. I just go home, and change the pda connect to Mediamax, or Medianet. I get 1000 sms, and unlimited data.

It doesn't seem like they know anything.
  8.    #8  
    I don't think so. I signed up for the pda connect when getting my phones. I just go home, and change the pda connect to Mediamax, or Medianet. I get 1000 sms, and unlimited data.

OK sounds good to me lol. I'm assuming email has to be included so ill go this route. i only say that because they say unlimited data AND email. the mediamax is unlimited data. but ill go and look these up lol. i guess from where i stand all i need to do is drop that smart phone ans that's it. thanks for your help
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

How long since you last made such a plan change online?

Unless there is a more circuitous method of getting to the right spot on Cingular's My Account page, once logged in your phone is recognized and only those plans available to your phone are presented as options under Change Plan. Maybe it wasn't always this way, but it is now. Any other online method of changing plans which bypasses this?
    really? Have you tried it recently?

I bought a 8525 back in March. I think I tried it around April.

I know that when you call the CS, they KNOW what phone you have. I tried to ask nicely on the phone with them about changing my plan to a regular Mediamax. They said no, because I own a 8525. I said, "What's a 8525, is that a PDA?" haha.

Maybe it stopped working, but I just logged into Cingular, changed my phone to a nokia, changed the plan to mediamax, and that's it. Next month's bill, I have Mediamax.

Recently, maybe May-ish, I even changed from Mediamax to the Mediamax with the 1000 sms messages online, so I'm sure it worked.

Now I have family plan, so can't change ANYTHING online now.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Now I have family plan, so can't change ANYTHING online now.
    Why not? I can log in to my account online and change the features on any individual line. Just remove PDA connect and add Media Max. Simple.
    I don't know... I gives me an error with red letters. Something about not being able to do that because I have a family plan. I'll check on it though, thanks.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    So you have to fool the system by changing the phone they show in that "profile" and then change the plan. Is that iT? It doesn't mess up service with the real phone you have right?
    Not to my knowledge. I don't think the phone in profile does anything. They know what phone you have if you call them, or do anything over the phone, but after you change your plan, just don't bring it up to them over the phone.
    Maybe they've changed it, but last time I changed mine I didn't touch the Phone at all, just removed the $40 plan and added the $20 plan.

Yup.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Maybe they've changed it, but last time I changed mine I didn't touch the Phone at all, just removed the $40 plan and added the $20 plan.
    Think I figured out why I'm seeing things a bit differently. My 750 is data-only (currently). No voice plan. So, when I login at Cingular, my 750 shows up. Then when I click on 'Change Plan', it presents me with a page of options only for my voice plan, but no option to not select one of them. So, in my circumstance, I have to choose a different phone before starting down that road. It does work, however. Thanks!
    Hmm, it's not Plan, it's Features. But it sounds like you got it sorted. Excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by C201 View Post
    Think I figured out why I'm seeing things a bit differently. My 750 is data-only (currently). No voice plan. So, when I login at Cingular, my 750 shows up. Then when I click on 'Change Plan', it presents me with a page of options only for my voice plan, but no option to not select one of them. So, in my circumstance, I have to choose a different phone before starting down that road. It does work, however. Thanks!
    Oh, that completely makes sense.
    When you're a 'data only' customer the data plan is your "plan" as opposed to when you're a voice customer your voice plan is your 'plan' and data is an add-on feature. And of course you can add/remove add-on features as well.

You can not use media max as a data only. I htink the cheapest data plan that can be used for data only is smartphone connect at $30, and they're getting rid of that because it's only for the 2125 and 3125 (which are being phased out.)

The only way to get cheaper data is to go to a voice plan ($40 is the cheapset) and add media max for $20 ($60 total.)
    Vs being a data only customer with PDA at $45.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast