Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Hey TaylorH ...Related to this, I know you and others have posted the thing about your regedit cab for removing the Cingular proxy from having searched and located it here. My question, does a hard reset remove the regedit requiring it to be applied again? My settings, after a hard reset are:
    • AP: wap.cingular
    • User Name: ISP.CINGULARGPRS.COM
    • Password: CINGULAR1

When opening PIE, I'm taken to the http://device.home/ page, but I thought that was the WAP page used for MEdiaNet. No?

Are these indicating that the regedit still remains or not? I just got this thing started up and had to do a hard reset for other reasons, not having the chance to see what the "non-proxy" settings looked like. I'm getting solid UMTS speeds, which is good, but as I've read your posting it would be to my advantage to remove the proxy for my purposes. Sorry if I appear to be a bit confused about this. Thanks for any further help!
    Your settings should be:
    wap.cingular, WAP@CIGULARGPRS.COM, CINGULAR1
    or
    isp.cingular, ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, CINGULAR1

However it's not necessary to use isp.cingular unless you're having trouble with a VPN program. Otherwise no need to use it. Also it's not included with media Max, (only PDA Connect.)

If you did a hard-reset (factor reset) then yes it removes the change. It will be at the default which is with the proxy enabled. My cab file settings should not persist after a hard reset.
    That .CAB merely changes the value of a setting in the registry, and a hard reset totally restores the factory registry.

That is the wap page for media net. You can only access this page if the proxy is ENABLED. If you disable the proxy, you should not be able to access this page. It's the best way of determining if you have the proxy enabled or disabled.

If you download both cab files (one to disable, and the other to restore/enable the proxy) you can just keep installing them back and forth to toggle the proxy. You'll have to completely shut down PIE between modifications (hold OK, select 'stop' on IE.)

There's nothing wrong with having the proxy enabled. It does speed up web surfing because it reduces images on web pages making the download smaller and the pages load a lot faster.

But if you're trying to use web surfing over wifi or activesync, you have to disable the proxy.
    Also the proxy squishes images down really small so it can significantly reduce the quality of them. In some case you may want the unmodified images like viewing a weather map or traffic map on sigalert.com mobile.

Download both to the my documents folder. Then open up file explorer and just tap on one .cab or the other to switch the proxy on or off at will.

Did I answer the question?
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    TaylorH, Thanks for all the info. Yes, you answered the question. However, your reply also created one. If my phone is on a MEdiaMax plan, the regedit will prevent being able to connect? Likewise, if I'm on the PDA Connect plan, the regedit will work. Am I reading that right?

Lastly, since my (current) settings are as I described, I'm surprised I'm able to connect at all. Odd, isn't it?

Anyway, you rock with all this good info. Thanks for sharing it with the lame.

However it's not necessary to use isp.cingular unless you're having trouble with a VPN program. Otherwise no need to use it. Also it's not included with media Max, (only PDA Connect.)
    Quote Originally Posted by C201 View Post
    TaylorH, Thanks for all the info. Yes, you answered the question. However, your reply also created one. If my phone is on a MEdiaMax plan, the regedit will prevent being able to connect? Likewise, if I'm on the PDA Connect plan, the regedit will work. Am I reading that right?

Lastly, since my (current) settings are as I described, I'm surprised I'm able to connect at all. Odd, isn't it?

Anyway, you rock with all this good info. Thanks for sharing it with the lame.
    $Actually your settings just had the wrong "user ID" for the login. Maybe it doesn't care about that part of the setting. The APN is the important part.

$80/$60 Laptop connect = wap.cingular and isp.cingular
    $40 PDA Connect = wap.cingular and isp.cingular
    $40 PDA Personal Max = wap.cingular (only)
    $20/$30/$40 Media Max = wap.cingular (only)

The regedit I have only turns off (and back on) the proxy for IE.
    The proxy only works with wap.cingular.

So with isp.cingular you MUST turn the proxy off to connect.
    With wap.cingular you may use the proxy on OR off.

http://device.home/ (the media net home site) can only be accessed through the proxy, and only through wap.cingular

Also, this proxy change (regedit change) only affect the proxy setting in relation to IE. Everything else on your device is not affected by this and does not use the proxy (like email, 3rd party browsers, etc.) This is specifically for IE only.
    If you want to control the proxy for the WHOLE device you do it in the connection settings. Use the one called "MediaNet" and that actually has the proxy set for the whole device. Use "My ISP" it does NOT have the proxy for the whole device.

This page here explains some of this, but I do need to update it to reflect the latest data plans on AT&T/Cingular.
    http://www.gadgetech.info/wireless/cingular/data/

I know confusing as all heck isn't it?

Also. Make sure you totally shut down IE after you make a regedit/cab change to the proxy. Press option+OK (or hold OK) and select 'stop' for IE. It will not take the registry mod until you re-start IE.
  5.    #25  
    well i know for a fact they don't know what phone you have because i just called and talking to a rep and they where like so how is your blackjack . have not used it for 2 months now lol. treo power for now
  6.    #26  
    Well a slight thing came up. i went online and the have me phone listed as primary. no blackjack??? how can that be that CS see a blackjack but not the treo. its the reverse online.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12