1.    #1  
    Alright everyone, I want to pick your brains about this. Most of us are familiar with the dreaded GSM buzz during data transmission from the Treo.

I've had and loved my treo(s) for the past couple of years, but I've just about had it with the buzz! I work in an office where I have to answer a land-line and I find that i have to disable chattermail or place the phone on the other side of the room (not just my desk, the room) in order to have a conversation. I just don't understand how Cingular can have a 'business' phone that has such a significant problem.

My questions about this are:

1) Does Cingular officially address this anywhere?
    2) Is this something that I can limit the effects of?
    3) Are 3G phones or 2G phones in a 3G area less affected?
    4) Oh god, WHY!?

Thanks for your responses.
    I don't know of any solutions. I'm with you. It bugs me. My 750 makes the buzz and my 700wx doesn't. I think we're doomed as long as we're using a GSM phone.
    it's not just treos - it's every phone I've ever had on gsm.
    Yes, and to answer the OP question 3G does NOT create any feedback at all the way GSM does.
    Yep, just repeating what everyone else is saying.. Every GSM phone I've had buzzes. It's likely the modulation method. Perhaps 3G modulation is different.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I have always been told this is RF interference being picked up by unshielded cables. So, at least two possible solutions exist:

First, which you mentioned, is to increase the distance between phone and whatever is picking up the RF interference.

Second, use shielded cabling, or maybe no cabling at all (as in wireless headset.)

I get this alot. My computer speakers were the worst. My new ones have better shielding and pick up much less interference. It also bleeds into my phone line. I normally put Chatter in neutral while I am at my desk to help minimize the effect.

The buzz is, for now, a fact of GSM life. We can only try to live with it the best we can.

I'd love to hear more suggestions.

Thanks! Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    I was with GSM for a long time with Cingular and after moving away from GSM to Sprint, the buzz went away. Other than shielding everything around you, there is not much you can do with GSM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    When on UMTS/HSDPA, no buzz
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I just keep my Treo in my holster.. Only time I have problems is when I'm charging it at my desk, which is right beside my phone. It does make quite a noise in the phone, so if I get a call at the desk I usually have to unplug and move the Treo. A bit of a bother, but not too bad.

Otherwise the buzz doesn't get me on anything else. Although I did used to have a Viewsonic monitor with built-in amplified speakers and the ONLY way to make them not make GODAWFUL AMPLIFIED LOUD BUZZING was to plug something into the headset jack. That made it go away completely.
    Build an aluminum foil shield between your cell phone and office equipment. That way it won't bug your equipment as much (but will amplify the effects on your cube mates on the other side of the shield) :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Caf View Post
    Build an aluminum foil shield between your cell phone and office equipment. That way it won't bug your equipment as much (but will amplify the effects on your cube mates on the other side of the shield) :-)
    Actually I keep mine in an Anti-Static Bag on the Credenza behind my desk.. Phone can still ring but cuts to buzz to almost nothing..