I'm about to buy a Treo 680 and I'm having trouble figuring out whether I should pay extra for the unlocked phone. I'm confused about two issues:

1) I can get a locked version from Cingular for $150 vs. an unlocked version from Palm for $400 and Cingular says that I can have the unlock code after 90 days. However I've heard that people have had trouble actually getting the phones really unlocked - I want to be able to use the phone in Asia with locally purchased SIM cards - if it's "unlocked" but I can't actually do that then it's no use to me.

2) I'm also confused about the data plan I would need. The guy at the Cingular store told me that I'd need a $40/month PDA connect plan, regardless of whether I get the $150 phone (and 2 year contract) from them, but I've been reading things online that suggest that I could get the phone unlocked, not sign a contract, and then just use a cheaper data plan (which would greatly mitigate the $400 cost of the unlocked phone).

Many thanks in advance for any advice or help. I'm very confused about both of these issues and I've been doing tons of research about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by amz1 View Post
    I'm about to buy a Treo 680 and I'm having trouble figuring out whether I should pay extra for the unlocked phone. I'm confused about two issues:

1) I can get a locked version from Cingular for $150 vs. an unlocked version from Palm for $400 and Cingular says that I can have the unlock code after 90 days. However I've heard that people have had trouble actually getting the phones really unlocked - I want to be able to use the phone in Asia with locally purchased SIM cards - if it's "unlocked" but I can't actually do that then it's no use to me.

2) I'm also confused about the data plan I would need. The guy at the Cingular store told me that I'd need a $40/month PDA connect plan, regardless of whether I get the $150 phone (and 2 year contract) from them, but I've been reading things online that suggest that I could get the phone unlocked, not sign a contract, and then just use a cheaper data plan (which would greatly mitigate the $400 cost of the unlocked phone).

Many thanks in advance for any advice or help. I'm very confused about both of these issues and I've been doing tons of research about it.
    Cingular will usually unlock a branded phone after 90 days. Sometimes, you have to try a number of times to get a helpful customer service rep that is willing to do it. If they won't, there are unlock services that you can pay for to unlock the Treo.

If you don't go through Cingular or an authorized Cingular dealer, you can sign up for a cheaper data plan over the phone or online, as long as Cingular doesn't know you're activating a Treo on the plan.