Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I can't do anything internet related withe the $5.99 plan.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I agree, the name game is confusing.

I have had the $5.99 plan for about 4 years now and yes, up until just a few days ago, I was able to access everything on the internet with no proxy at all. This includes email, Verichat, web thru Blazer OR Opera-mini, googlemaps and also the Palmary Clock, though I never used this program myself. NOW I still have the same plan, but I have to put the proxy into Blazer to get to any websites, and all the other apps using port 80 do not work.

Earlier, smileyboy said that he had called TMO and they said that Tzones was down. This made sense, since everyone is posting in here about the recent problems. Smileyboy also said that the TMO rep said the Tzones should be back up last night, but that didn't happen.

So I am wondering if the full internet access is going to be fixed soon. I assume that I was getting full access because I was paying for the $5.99 plan, but if I am hearing everyone else correctly, there are many here who weren't paying for anything, but getting the same access that I was. I dont' mind paying $5.99. $29.99 is too much.
  3. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Just to clarify, I've always had the $5.99 tzones plan, but as of a few days ago i could only use the browser through proxy, and could only receive mail thru versamail (interestingly snappermail would still be able to send mails).

Since i want to use google maps and IM I find that I need to upgrade to the $30 plan. The $30 plan runs just like tzones used to, minus $25/mo from my pocket, hehe. Too bad it doesn't seem to run any faster though.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I just signed up and had full use, but not in the last couple of days. I'll just wait and see what happens in the next couple of weeks. Maybe we'll all be able to utilize the web with T-zones again. I hope, I hope, I hope.
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    Just to clarify, I've always had the $5.99 tzones plan, but as of a few days ago i could only use the browser through proxy, and could only receive mail thru versamail (interestingly snappermail would still be able to send mails).

Since i want to use google maps and IM I find that I need to upgrade to the $30 plan. The $30 plan runs just like tzones used to, minus $25/mo from my pocket, hehe. Too bad it doesn't seem to run any faster though.

Well, before I do that....I wanna see if the $5.99 starts working again. Several people in here have said that when they talked to TMO, TMO said that "tzones was down" If this comes back up, I would think that all our apps will start working again. No one to this point has said that it isn't going to come back up, just that it is down and should be back up soon.

I know there was speculation on slashdot, but that wasn't confirmed
    Ok, with some research I finally found the proper proxy settings: 216.155.165.050 port 8080, but I still cant send email through versamail, only receive.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supernam View Post
    Ok, with some research I finally found the proper proxy settings: 216.155.165.050 port 8080, but I still cant send email through versamail, only receive.
    What do you have set for the SMTP server?
    2 days ago I was in Colorado and I had to use the proxy to get internet access. When I flew back to NY on the same day, the proxy was not needed. Yesterday, they implemented the port 80 block and I now need to use the proxy.

You have always needed to use the proxy for internet access with the $5.99 plan. It was just "off" for the last 3 or 4 months for some unknown reason. Looks like they are turning the restriction on again. Basically, the diff between the $5.99 plan and the $29.99 plan is that programs that cannot use a proxy like google maps won't work on the cheaper plan. Email, blazer and most programs are fine once the proxy is set in blazer. The additional feature of the expensive plan is access to wifi in the t-mobile hotspots.

The 5.99 plan has always been like this and the total access has been a gift for the last few months, so I can accept that it's back to the way it was. As for the people getting completely free access, that was definitely a problem at t-mobile that looks like they have sorted out.
    I want it back to the way it was after the way it was.
    =P
    Quote Originally Posted by kc5hwb View Post
    What do you have set for the SMTP server?
    Just the regular Yahoo bizmail smtp
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Seems to be working tonight for me except I can't send out emails. I used 8080 port.
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    2 days ago I was in Colorado and I had to use the proxy to get internet access. When I flew back to NY on the same day, the proxy was not needed. Yesterday, they implemented the port 80 block and I now need to use the proxy.

You have always needed to use the proxy for internet access with the $5.99 plan. It was just "off" for the last 3 or 4 months for some unknown reason. Looks like they are turning the restriction on again. Basically, the diff between the $5.99 plan and the $29.99 plan is that programs that cannot use a proxy like google maps won't work on the cheaper plan. Email, blazer and most programs are fine once the proxy is set in blazer. The additional feature of the expensive plan is access to wifi in the t-mobile hotspots.

The 5.99 plan has always been like this and the total access has been a gift for the last few months, so I can accept that it's back to the way it was. As for the people getting completely free access, that was definitely a problem at t-mobile that looks like they have sorted out.
    Its been longer than just 3-4 months. Its closer to the last year that its been this way. I've had the $5.99 plan for 4 years and ever since I got my treo 1.5 years ago, I have needed the proxy to get to websites, but when I installed Googlemaps in the Spring of 2006, it always worked, up until just a few days ago.

Why are TMO reps telling multiple people that Tzones is "down" if what you say is true?
    I recently read somewhere (can't remember where, obviously getting old) that T-mo turns on the block for a few months every so often then it goes away again for another period of time. Obviously trying to push people like us to the more expensive plans. So perhaps it will go away again sometime in the future.
    I am using the 5.99. As of this morning hblogger & toccer were both working again. This is in the NY/NJ Metro area.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I kept my T-zones plan (grandfathered in at $2.99) and in Tacoma, WA, still not working this morning for googlemaps. It works for blazer and versamail (incoming / outgoing)
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skahmo View Post
    Seems like T-Mobile is hip to us -- my "free" Internet stopped working yesterday afternoon in Memphis. I entered the proxy settings for T-Zones, but could only access T-Zones pages. Any attempt to access other URLs routed me to a page inviting me to sign up for T-Mobile Web at $5.99 per month. I did so this morning, and although the CS rep thought I wouldn't have full Internet access, so far I'm finding it just as before. VersaMail, with attachments, is working beautifully, and Blazer takes me to all the places I went before, including non-wap pages. I still need to use the proxy settings for T-Zones. Before signing up for the $29.99 T-Mobile Internet, you might want to give T-Mobile Web a try.
    Same thing happened with me last friday. I was able to access "free internet" via T zones but not anymore. I tried using the proxy address with port 8080 but no luck.

Skahmo - were u using a proxy before it stopped working ?
    Good thing here is thag this cod mean Tmobile, is gettin ready to roll out 3G. I'm sure they had to get this issue (of lockin the internet down) figured out before they did so.

Bad new : they're on to us. :O
    I called tmo two times in a row to see what the reps had to say. Neither of them knew what the hell I was talking about and claimed that there were no outages.They offered to troubleshoot my treo, I was like WTF man, it's not the phone, it's the service!!! I want my cheap internet back@!#

Is it just me, or is connecting through a proxy slower?
    johnbaker -- in response to your question: No, I never needed to input proxy settings (I have an unlocked 680) until the other day. What I've been (apparently ineffectively) saying is that I have had free Internet WITHOUT having had to enroll in the "$5.99 plan" or enter proxy settings-- all I had to do was select "T-Zones" from the pulldown menu in Network Prefs. After entering proxy settings when things first went down, I could only navigate to the voicestream wap page, aka homepage for (free) T-Zones, offering ringtones and games that aren't downloadable to a Treo anyway. The upgrade to the "$5.99 plan" allowed me full access, as I had before, but still only works with proxy settings. I haven't used GoogleMaps before, so I downloaded it, and sure enough, it won't work. It does look cool, but not for $24 a month.

I wonder if this confusion about the name (T-Zones, T-Mobile Web, etc.), has led some to pay for the $5.99 plan, when all along the free one would have been just fine. It doesn't really matter now, I suppose, seems we're all in the same boat. Besides, I've only had my Treo for a couple of months -- possibly I came along at an opportune time. That's what I get for gloating that the Treo would pay for itself in a year! Of course, the $24/month savings helps a lot.
    tzones are back up for me. all is well. =)
    Follow Me On

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast