Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast
    Cerebrum,

I spent a great deal of time investigating and compiling the detailed information I posted regarding this issue. With 9 words you destroyed any validity it may have had by your un-necessary and juvenile response.

Apparently, we do not share the same sense of humor. Had you originally posted the last 3 paragraphs of your most recent response, my post would have been taken seriously. Instead its probably just a waste of my time.

Thanks so much.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx04 View Post
    Cerebrum,

I spent a great deal of time investigating and compiling the detailed information I posted regarding this issue. With 9 words you destroyed any validity it may have had by your un-necessary and juvenile response.

Apparently, we do not share the same sense of humor. Had you originally posted the last 3 paragraphs of your most recent response, my post would have been taken seriously. Instead its probably just a waste of my time.

Thanks so much.
    I suggest to take this topic onto a different thread inorder to stay "on topic". With it on a separate thread - racerx can hold court to his topic. What you think?
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    Your input stays as valid as the people want to make it, nothing I say should destroy it whatsoever as I made no arguments against it. I made a slight humorous comment and you needed to make a huge deal of it because your hours of work (which are appreciated) did not receive the "good job lad" and a pat on the head response you anticipated. If you ask me, it is you who is juvenile, as I willingly apologized and chose to drop the subject, I suggest you do the same or flare out your anger elsewhere.

I spoke in jest, you spoke in anger, get over it. These are forums, learn to deal with someone's comments maturely and with an open mind, or learn to accept apologies and move on.

I'm done discussing anything further on this matter with you, racer. If you want to say more, please PM me or email me, both are in my profile.
    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde
    ?
    Last edited by racerx04; 08/14/2007 at 09:01 PM.
    I had been wondering what was going on. After getting a SIM card update a couple of weeks ago, I hadn't been able to connect to ANYTHING. Glad I decided to spend my time reading this forum instead of on the phone with t-mo CS.

I haven't been able to connect to google maps, p-tunes, etc. After reading this thread, I did get back to basic wap pages with the proxy enabled.

I am on the $5.99 plan and just learned my wifes company has a corporate rate with at&t. Maybe i'll have the iphone sooner than i thought

- cb
    copper treo 680/t-mobile
    cbishop,

T-Mo has recently blocked all the ports that allowed full internet usage with T-Zones. Many customers have used T-Zones for full internet usage in the past, but that is now gone forever. The full internet plan is the only service that will replicate the functionality of the previous version of T-Zones.

This is spot on information, sorry to be the bearer of the bad $30 per month news.

You mention the iPhone. The service is quite reasonably priced based on what is offered, just look before you leap. The iPhone in no Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx04 View Post
    cbishop,

T-Mo has recently blocked all the ports that allowed full internet usage with T-Zones. Many customers have used T-Zones for full internet usage in the past, but that is now gone forever. The full internet plan is the only service that will replicate the functionality of the previous version of T-Zones.

This is spot on information, sorry to be the bearer of the bad $30 per month news.

You mention the iPhone. The service is quite reasonably priced based on what is offered, just look before you leap. The iPhone in no Treo.
    For some it may be gone forever, and perhaps I may be next, i can't be sure. I can still access the internet on my Treo 680 with Blazer and can still use the internet on my laptop via BT DUN. The only things that are not working seem to be some specific non-proxy enabled programs like Mundu, Kinoma, or pTunes. I'm sure there are other programs that won't work like Google Earth, but for now, it still works to get and receive email via SnapperMail and browse internet websites.

All working with a proxy of course.

I'm sure results may vary.
    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum View Post
    For some it may be gone forever, and perhaps I may be next, i can't be sure. I can still access the internet on my Treo 680 with Blazer and can still use the internet on my laptop via BT DUN. The only things that are not working seem to be some specific non-proxy enabled programs like Mundu, Kinoma, or pTunes.
    Not sure what you mean by "I may be next". Sounds like you've already lost the same services that everyone else has. No more, no less.
    What I meant was that perhaps these services I can still use such as the web browser and SnapperMail may soon be unavailale to me if they fully close everything, this is why i can't know because I don't know if they are done closing selected ports and leaving the ones for the browser and email applications available or they still are working on closing them but haven't yet.

I've heard people having issues with software that fetches email and others that cannot even access webpages, so it makes me wonder if they are still not done closing ports for everyone/certain areas. I say this because when they began doing this, not everyone was unable to use some software on their treos. When I heard about this, it had been 2 months since it began and I was still able to use Mundu and pTunes internet radio, one week later I couldn't.
    ...when they began doing this, not everyone was unable to use some software on their treos.
    I think that was because they rolled up the extra ports regionally. If you were lucky enough to be in a region where they hadn't yet blocked those ports, you could continue to use them. I noticed earlier this year that one by one, T-Mobile was starting to block unproxied ports in the places I traveled to. They started blocking in my home region (Chicago) in June, but at least one other region in the Southeast remained unblocked for another week or so.

I can't be sure, but they seem to have finished that project. I haven't seen anyone say that unproxied apps (other than email) are still working for them.

I don't know about those reports that email doesn't work for some. Could be a configuration issue, since many email apps (and mail servers) support alternative ports. But email (Chatter) has continued to work for me wherever I go for both POP and IMAP servers, whether or not other apps have work.

Or it could be that some of the reports about email not working anymore are from people who have T-Zones (free), but not T-MobileWeb ($5.99/mo). Some people were apparently able to get full Internet service through the free T-Zones. My understanding is that the free T-Zones was never intended to work with anything other than T-Mobile's walled garden (no email, no web). So if someone had email working on T-Zones and now doesn't, that doesn't mean that T-Mobile is in the process of blocking email ports for T-MobileWeb, too.

I don't see any indication that T-Mobile is going to block email ports. But it may be that they are continuing to make changes to their proxy servers to block specific traffic that uses those servers. The only evidence I have for that is that DA, which worked when the ports were NOT blocked, and stopped working after the ports were blocked, then started working again when I entered the proxy server settings into DA's configuration, suddenly stopped working again recently, even WITH proxy enable.

I do have one app (other than web) that continues to work with proxy.
    Wait, I thought that "T-Zones" was changed to "T-MobileWeb" and had its priced raised to $5.99/mo. I don't recall there being a "free" T-Zones. I may be wrong, but I remember a CSR correct me when I was trying to find out what happened to the T-Zones plan and what the diff is between that & TmoWeb. I was told there is no difference, the name just changed.
    Follow Me On

Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Wait, I thought that "T-Zones" was changed to "T-MobileWeb" and had its priced raised to $5.99/mo. I don't recall there being a "free" T-Zones. I may be wrong, but I remember a CSR correct me when I was trying to find out what happened to the T-Zones plan and what the diff is between that & TmoWeb. I was told there is no difference, the name just changed.
    That's correct as far as it goes, but T-Mobile also recycled the name "T-Zones", perhaps confusing even their own CSRs along with the rest of us. As you heard, what used to be called T-Zones -- a paid service -- was renamed to T-MobileWeb. Since then, T-Mobile has used "T-Zones" to describe the access to minimal services provided by their own servers (for buying ringtones, etc.) that are provided to all compatible phones for no monthly charge.

To make things even more confusing, Treo users will notice that "T-Zones" still appears as the service name for T-MobileWeb under Prefs, Network.
    To further ad to the drama...
    I have been unable to send or receive pix or text messages today, or use Tzones for the most basic things.
    After a call to Tmo I learned that half thier coverage for internet-type servics is out today.
    M100, M515, Tungsten E, Treo 600, Treo 650 unlocked GSM; SW 1.20 ENA; FW 1.71 (T-mobile)
    I've got good access to the Internet in the Boston area today, using T-Mobile Web (old TZones), the proxy, Blazer, and my unlocked Treo 680. But like a number of other posters, I can no longer use Google Maps or streaming anything, or anything that doesn't have access to the proxy.

A couple of posters have asked if TMO knows what phone we have, and my experience is that Yes, they do: I called CS from Maine a couple of weeks ago because we had lost our connectivity up there, and in the process of making a report, the rep told me that she could see that I was calling from a Treo 680--I had not told her. One nice thing about the Treo is that it is able to use the 850 band of AT&T in those areas where the companies have agreements.

Now I have a question about the BB and Total Internet plans. The $30 Total Internet plan includes Hotspot connections, quite useless for those of us who don't frequent Starbucks. Is the part of the Internet plan that is NOT Hotspot different from the BB plan? I mean are there different servers and settings? Didn't they use to offer an Internet plan that was neither BB nor total, for $20?

Finally, if I give up and spend the extra $15 for the BB plan, will I continue to be able to connect directly to my university IMAP email server via Versamail, or will I have to do something arcane with some Blackberry server somewhere?
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmapada View Post
    A couple of posters have asked if TMO knows what phone we have, and my experience is that Yes, they do
    Yes. When I log into my.t-mobile.com, my account info shows that I have a Treo. I occasionally move my SIM into a different phone. After a couple of hours (it doesn't happen immediately), that change shows up in my.t-mobile.com.

Finally, if I give up and spend the extra $15 for the BB plan, will I continue to be able to connect directly to my university IMAP email server via Versamail, or will I have to do something arcane with some Blackberry server somewhere?
    RacerX04 says "no" above. Has anyone else on the BB plan had better luck? Simba? ChristieC?
    Quote Originally Posted by jfinlayson View Post
    Yes. When I log into my.t-mobile.com, my account info shows that I have a Treo. I occasionally move my SIM into a different phone. After a couple of hours (it doesn't happen immediately), that change shows up in my.t-mobile.com.
    This is interesting to me, because my T-Mobile.com account continues to show that I have not selected a phone (and asks me to select one each time I log in, which I continue to refuse to do).

Quote Originally Posted by jfinlayson View Post
    RacerX04 says "no" above. Has anyone else on the BB plan had better luck? Simba? ChristieC?
    I've had absolutely no problem using Versamail to send and receive emails since I switched to the $19.99 Blackberry Connect plan. I've read both here and on MTDN that people believe this to be a problem, and every time I read that, I send a test email from my phone and check my computer to see if I received it on in the email account to which I sent it, and I then hit "Get" to make sure I'm able to receive the email in my AOL account on my 680, as I used to do before switching -- works every time!

In fact, I have been able to "replicate" the functionality of every single service I was able to receive on T-Zones before TMO closed the ports, and on the full T-Mobile Internet plan I had before I switched to T-Zones in the January-February timeframe.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    This is interesting to me, because my T-Mobile.com account continues to show that I have not selected a phone (and asks me to select one each time I log in, which I continue to refuse to do).

I've had absolutely no problem using Versamail to send and receive emails since I switched to the $19.99 Blackberry Connect plan. I've read both here and on MTDN that people believe this to be a problem, and every time I read that, I send a test email from my phone and check my computer to see if I received it on in the email account to which I sent it, and I then hit "Get" to make sure I'm able to receive the email in my AOL account on my 680, as I used to do before switching -- works every time!

In fact, I have been able to "replicate" the functionality of every single service I was able to receive on T-Zones before TMO closed the ports, and on the full T-Mobile Internet plan I had before I switched to T-Zones in the January-February timeframe.

Dito for me.
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    Thanks.. So when you say 'replicate' do you mean that email and Google maps, etc. work just as they used to WITHOUT any new configuration on your part, out of the box, so to speak when you switched from TZones to the Blackberry plan? My concern is that everything you read about Blackberry plans says that you need to have a Blackberry email account, an enterprise server, Outlook on your computer, etc. When I say email, I mean IMAP email or pop email, from an ISP or university server, not webmail of some sort, accessed via Versamail..

Is the Blackberry plan, then, just the same as the Total Internet Plan, but without hotspot service and with the OPTION of using Blackberry email (if one owns a Blackberry)?
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmapada View Post
    Thanks.. So when you say 'replicate' do you mean that email and Google maps, etc. work just as they used to WITHOUT any new configuration on your part, out of the box, so to speak when you switched from TZones to the Blackberry plan? My concern is that everything you read about Blackberry plans says that you need to have a Blackberry email account, an enterprise server, Outlook on your computer, etc. When I say email, I mean IMAP email or pop email, from an ISP or university server, not webmail of some sort, accessed via Versamail..

Is the Blackberry plan, then, just the same as the Total Internet Plan, but without hotspot service and with the OPTION of using Blackberry email (if one owns a Blackberry)?
    For us T680 people, using the BB plan is exactly the same as the TMO internal plan.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I switched from the t-zones plan I had for many years to the blackberry plan.

Everything works again as it did with t-zones with the exception of mail, I cannot send, only receive.

Has anyone been able to get Versamail to function with the blackberry plan?

If so, could you share your settings. I miss my mail function.

Cheers
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast