Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum View Post
    ... Mundu isn't working at all no matter how many proxy servers i've tried. Anyone know anything that can be done?
    Mundu is apparently working on a fix:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=148128
    I read that, but I don't have nor have found the beta version of Mundu. I guess I'll email them and see what they say.
    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde
    For those of you still having Mundu problems, I got the prc files in an email from them, so i still need to try it out. I'm temporarily hosting them in my server, so try them out yourself:

First download and install:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/yh8k8ln2n4.prc
    - This will clear out Mundu completely from your Treo.

Next, download and install Mundu's beta version:
    http://www.box.net/shared/static/qasj1ula8d.prc

Once I try it later today, i'll give you an idea of how it went and whether it worked out or not.
    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    For those of you still having Mundu problems, I got the prc files in an email from them, so i still need to try it out. I'm temporarily hosting them in my server, so try them out yourself:

First download and install:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/yh8k8ln2n4.prc
    - This will clear out Mundu completely from your Treo.

Next, download and install Mundu's beta version:
    http://www.box.net/shared/static/qasj1ula8d.prc

Once I try it later today, i'll give you an idea of how it went and whether it worked out or not.

Are you still on the $5 t-zones plan?

I switched over to the BB $19 plan and have no problems with Mundu or any of the other internet based apps.
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    Are you still on the $5 t-zones plan?

I switched over to the BB $19 plan and have no problems with Mundu or any of the other internet based apps.
    I am, but after having a nice long chat with T-Mobile, they told me that they made sure that no one can do what we all once were able to do with t-zones ever again.

Via proxy settings, I can access my email and web browser, even use it to give my laptop internet access. But I can't use Google Maps, Mundu, pTunes radio streams. I was thinking of going to the BB plan, but a few concerns come to mind that maybe you can answer:

1. Will it work on my Treo 680? (I'm guessing yes)
    2. Is it any faster? I hear it isn't, and if it's true, it's not worth it. Same question if I choose to use it for my laptop, if even possible.
    3. Will all 3rd party apps work? (Like those I mentioned above).

Please let me know.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I am, but after having a nice long chat with T-Mobile, they told me that they made sure that no one can do what we all once were able to do with t-zones ever again.

Via proxy settings, I can access my email and web browser, even use it to give my laptop internet access. But I can't use Google Maps, Mundu, pTunes radio streams. I was thinking of going to the BB plan, but a few concerns come to mind that maybe you can answer:

1. Will it work on my Treo 680? (I'm guessing yes)
    2. Is it any faster? I hear it isn't, and if it's true, it's not worth it. Same question if I choose to use it for my laptop, if even possible.
    3. Will all 3rd party apps work? (Like those I mentioned above).

Please let me know.
    1. Yes, it will work with our 680 (I have an unlocked)
    2. Someone mentioned it was slower, but I and ChristieC haven't noticed any difference.
    3. Yes, it works with all of the software you asked for. I am also using them plus Directory Assistant and OperaMini - and more.

I don't use it on my laptop - so maybe this is where the speed difference that's been mentioned (versus on our Treo's).

So when you spoke with TMO, what exactly did they say? Do they know if we have a PDA / Treo / Blackberry / Smartphone, etc.? Did they tell you you have a Treo or specifically a 680? I wonder if they have access to our phone info which says what software our phone is running, ie, in Phone Info - Software: Treoxxx-x.xx-xxx.
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    Well, knowing how these people will try to get information out of you sometimes in the most subtle ways, the conversation was very carefully scripted on my end, and it seems on his end too.

So i started by asking why t-zones no longer seemed to work the same way as before. The rep asked me what I meant, and I said "Well, on my cellphone, I can't use some 3rd party applications anymore." he asked me what phone I had, and I said "I have a Razr." I used a Razr because when I used to own one, google had some java applications that you could download into the phone that could help you retrieve email. A Gmail application to be precise. So he said "Well, we've closed several open ports and addressed some security concerns with T-Zones and are only limiting it to WAP usage and some data connectivity. They wouldn't specify what was available for usage even though I asked several times.

He said that they discovered that people who had t-zones and even people who didn't have any data plan whatsoever were able to access data content via their smartphones and PDA phones for free. Faking surprise, I asked "How did you guys find out? Is there any way you guys can track who owns a PDA or Smartphone?" He mentioned that they didn't, but rather noticed by the large amounts of data usage people were getting out of their t-zones plans, which led to further investigation into the matter. This is what triggered their discovery of people being able to use their main 30 dollar a month server (a.k.a 20 dollar BB server) masked as t-zones without having to even pay a dime over 5.99 or at all.

He mentioned that t-zones users shouldn't have been able to access the full web with that payment option. So I asked "So what can we access with t-zones?" "Well...any wap content" "Like wap webpages?" "No..." "Ok..so what?" "You guys aren't supposed to have an open data connection" "So you're telling me i'm paying 5.99 so I can access the t-zones webpage and be able to pick what wallpaper or ringtone I want and that's it?" "well...essentially yes" "But I know that i can access ebay via WAP and a few other webpages the same way" "Well you can't anymore" "I see...so I can't do anything with it" "No, you can access some stuff"--this argument carried on for a while where the rep tried to explain what is deemed "data plan" and what is deemed "non-data plan" for a while, and frankly it made no sense as to why anyone would be charged 6 dollars a month to check what "cute" wallpapers or "hip" ringtones I can access and pay 1/3rd of my t-zones payment to have them on my phone.

I then decided to ask about speeds. What speeds do T-Zones, Blackberry, and Total Internet plans give the person. The rep mentioned that they are priced based on what can be done on the particular handheld device. He said "T-zones are meant for basic phones, basic data usage and basic functionality, the speeds usually range from 50kbps to 120kbps. Blackberry plans are meant only for blackberry devices with speeds from 70kbps to 130kbps (And only 14 dollars more!), and finally Total Internet Plans are meant for PDA and Smartphones and have speeds of 140-210kbps because PDA and Smartphones have much more functionality both regular phones and Blackberry phones don't have." I was a bit shocked to discover why Blackberry plans weren't faster than regular phones, but he kept on evading me in regards to answers and continuously asked me what I used my data connection for. I stuck to my story about me using it for basic WAP surfing and for my gmail application (also used it for my laptop back when I had a RAZR--didn't mention this) on my "RAZR" phone.

It seems T-zones will no longer ever work the same way again, and I asked why no one was notified about this change before it took place, and he said "Well, we fixed the service" and I replied "Yes, you made everyone who had t-zones for years incapable of doing everything they were once able to do without informing us of a change" He profusely apologized and offered I changed to a total internet plan if i ever bought a smartphone or a PDA phone, but at that point I was done getting the information I needed.

Right before the call ended he said "Well, i'll cancel your T-zones plan" and I told him not to, because you know...i gotta access my cute wallpapers and my hip Usher ringtones (or whatever kids listen to these days). Overall it seems t-mobile has decided to slap everyone in the face and price BB and Total Internet Plans at a ridiculous price for their ridiculous speeds. Apparently this was a huge issue at t-mobile once discovered, and it has been progressively "fixed" for the past 2 months.

Whatever, I'm keeping my t-zones plan for now, as I can still check email and access webpages and use it on my laptop. It'll be a drag not being able to use Mundu, or stream internet radio, but whatever, i'll live.

- Cerebrum
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    He said that they discovered that people who had t-zones and even people who didn't have any data plan whatsoever were able to access data content via their smartphones and PDA phones for free. Faking surprise, I asked "How did you guys find out? Is there any way you guys can track who owns a PDA or Smartphone?" He mentioned that they didn't, but rather noticed by the large amounts of data usage people were getting out of their t-zones plans, which led to further investigation into the matter. This is what triggered their discovery of people being able to use their main 30 dollar a month server (a.k.a 20 dollar BB server) masked as t-zones without having to even pay a dime over 5.99 or at all.
    Okay, large amounts of data usage. For $5.99 I can see the big hits! Since I'm on BB, data usage can't be that much of a big difference - so hopefully, we can stay on the plan for a long time. I'm concern since I just signed up with TMO this year and on a 2 yr plan.

...i gotta access my cute wallpapers and my hip Usher ringtones (or whatever kids listen to these days).
    That's funny.

Whatever, I'm keeping my t-zones plan for now, as I can still check email and access webpages and use it on my laptop. It'll be a drag not being able to use Mundu, or stream internet radio, but whatever, i'll live.
    That's what I said and found I really depended on GoogleMaps, DA, Mundu. These software developers got me hooked to this stuff! It lasted a month and I went to the BB Plan.

Thank you for your comments.
    The guy's arguments were ridiculous. They should have left it as is, if any changes should have been made are just close out all the free-loaders who didn't pay a cent, the other plans should be ramped up in speeds, and that's it.

I too depend a lot on google maps, so i'm looking for alternatives, that and actually considering coughing up the extra 14 dollars. I'm gonna have to think it over I guess. Same with Mundu.

Choices choices...

T-Mobile prices too much for such slow data speeds in my opinion, but hey, this "data leak" for the past 3-4ish years sure has caused T-Mobile's decline in business, eh?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

- Cerebrum
    I must agree with you. It is a drag, that so far, I have been just putting up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    That's what I said and found I really depended on GoogleMaps, DA, Mundu.
    I'm still running Directory Assistant (DA) on T-MobileWeb. DA supports proxy, so getting it to work again is as simple as entering the proxy settings through its Options menu.

Mundu also includes proxy support, but it's buggy. Mundu is working on a fix.

GoogleMaps doesn't support proxy yet. Maybe if there's enough clamor for it they will consider doing so.

These software developers got me hooked to this stuff!
    I've wondered if that might be the whole idea behind T-Mobile's practice of "inadvertantly" unblocking ports for T-MobileWeb for extended periods of time in various markets. Get people hooked in order to nudge them up to a more expensive plan, which they never would have been willing to pay for before becoming reliant. Sort of like an introductory rate scheme. But that's just speculation. Could be that it's more about confusion, IT mistakes, and indecision.

UPDATE (8/10/07): DA stopped working here in Chicago. It had continued to work for a couple of weeks after the change with proxy, but no longer.
    Last edited by jfinlayson; 08/10/2007 at 09:17 AM.
    What is this DA program I hear? It sounds useful. Can someone enlighten me on what it is and why it's so great?
    What is this DA program I hear? It sounds useful. Can someone enlighten me on what it is and why it's so great?
    DA = Directory Assistance. Can search YP and WP for listings that you specify. Kind of like the AOLYellowPages Bot, but with residential listings too, and in its own separate app.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by snoslicer8 View Post
    DA = Directory Assistance. Can search YP and WP for listings that you specify. Kind of like the AOLYellowPages Bot, but with residential listings too, and in its own separate app.
    1-800-GOOG-411
    --
    http://wrevolution.org/
    life, liberty, and the pursuit of open standards
    T-Mo has recently blocked all the ports that allowed full internet usage with T-Zones. Further more this was T-Mo issue, they allowed this, the users just took advantage of the system offered. Many customers have used T-Zones for full internet usage, obviously with T-Mo's knowledge, for many years. Now, they want us all to pay 5 to 10 times the price for the same level of service. Not to mention the sub-par customer service.

Also, if you do decide to upgrade your service to continue using your Treo in the manner you have been with T-Zones, do not buy the blackberry plan if you want to send and receive email via a mail client, it does not work, but the CSR's will tell you that it does. The full internet plan is the only service that will replicate the functionality of the previous version of T-Zones.

Call the numbers below to express your concerns.

Senior Vice President
    Customer Service
    Sue Nokes 425-378-4991

Vice President
    Customer Service Operations
    John Birrer 425-378-6072

Vice President
    Mobile Virtual Network Operators Team
    Femi Lakeru 303-383-5955

Vice President
    Customer Service (West)
    Ted McMurdo 303-383-5755

Vice President
    Customer Service (East)
    Cindy Byrd 615-445-3814

Executive Director
    Customer Service Operations Support
    Liz Wallace 425-378-4259

Administrative Assistant
    Dayna Atkins 425-378-4703
    Hmm...do you work for T-Mobile??

It's a spy!
    Hmm...do you work for T-Mobile??

It's a spy!
    No spys here, just a long time T-Mo customer who has suddenly lost the access I've had for years. Did the legwork on what the issue is, and decided to explain it and provide information to my fellow Treo users.

How dare you make such an un-informed comment about me. Why would you do such a thing? Jerk!!!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx04 View Post
    No spys here, just a long time T-Mo customer who has suddenly lost the access I've had for years. Did the legwork on what the issue is, and decided to explain it and provide information to my fellow Treo users.

How dare you make such an un-informed comment about me. Why would you do such a thing? Jerk!!!
    I think cerebrum was just joking...I did wonder where you came from since you've only posted this same comment in 2 other threads. Maybe next time you should explain who you are - especially when making such a announcement. You did a lot of work getting TMO names and phone numbers.

If it can become a class action, then go for it!
    Simba,

I posted the information I gathered as many places as I felt necessary. I'm not interested in persuring any type of "actions", other than to assist my fellow Treo users.

IMHO, cerebrum did not use his brain in his response to my post. I found it offensive, and expressed my opinion.

All I can say is, T-mo is on the hunt for excessive data users.

I was joking...this issue affects us all, throwing in some sense of humor won't hurt anyone. You're perhaps the first person i've ever seen get offended when called a spy over such a topic, so I'd suggest you relax and realize these are forums, not serious CIA or FBI inquisitions. For the sake of peace, I do apologize if my comment did offend you...and for not adding an "lol" at the end to be sure to emphasize the joking nature of the comment.

IMHO, cerebrum did not use his brain in his response to my post. I found it offensive, and expressed my opinion.
    I was out of town for a few days, please accept my apologies for not being able to use my brain to explain myself in those few days...perhaps I should reconsider the avatar...or my type of audience.

The fact that you gathered all this information is great. Now people may be able to get the ball rolling for something to be done about this issue, if not, always good to have those numbers handy for whatever other issue that may come in the future.

If there is one thing that upsets me about t-Mobile's data plans (or any phone company) is how much they charge you for them. They've had this issue go on for years, and now they are doing something about it. It makes me wonder if our "excessive data usage" has almost left them at chaos or bankruptcy enough for them to say "Gentlemen..it's been years since this issue began..let's deal with it now before we loose more money."

I don't know much in regards to how much the cellphone companies use in regards to resources to provide users with mobile internet, but my guess is not a whole lot. Sure, satellite's need to be used and huge antennas somewhere need to be established, but when you have such a massive amount of customers, i think it pays for itself. Unless you're a company that allows you to use 3G, or cable-like speeds, I would never cough up 30 dollars a month for GPRS data. Alas, some people need this connection, but I just hope in the nearing future that 30 dollars buys you a good internet connection with 3G speeds or better.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast