1.    #1  
    I'm planning to get a 680 within the next few weeks -- can't wait however long for a 750P. Leaning toward Cingular.

Planning to travel extensively within the next few months, so I'd like to be able to use it abroad.

1) I'd like to pay as little as possible for data -- so if it'll help keep my monthly fee down, I don't mind paying extra for an unlocked 680. I'm not sure how SIM cards work -- but I gather I could tell a bricks-and-mortar store I had some other phone and activate a new account that way, along with data.

2) I'd like to keep my present cell number (Sprint) when the contract expires, though I'll change it if need be.

Can this be done? I'm not really familiar either with starting up an unlocked phone with a new account, or using a SIM card.
    The cheapest data plan out there is T-Mobile's tzones. It's $5.99 per month and allows web browsing and email. It does have limitations, however. I don't believe it works with secure web sites (https://), no streaming content, etc. But for simple web browsing and fetching your email (non push email) it's great.

Porting your number over to another carrier is hit-or-miss. Sure, it's supposed to be seamless and simple for all carriers, but the truth is some make it easier than others. I would get the process started 2 weeks or so before your current contract expires. It can be done, it should be a simple thing, but you should be prepared to practice patience.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Porting your number over to another carrier is hit-or-miss. Sure, it's supposed to be seamless and simple for all carriers, but the truth is some make it easier than others. I would get the process started 2 weeks or so before your current contract expires. It can be done, it should be a simple thing, but you should be prepared to practice patience.
    Thanks. I'm very curious how the phone number is plugged into the unlocked device itself -- particularly since I won't want to have to bring in the 680, if I'm going to be reporting I'm using a Razor or something to sneak into the cheaper data plan... unless I'm missing something? Is the number somehow programmed into the SIM card?

'Scuse my ignorance, but my only real cellphone experience has been with this Sprint 650.
    On GSM carriers (T-Mobile, Cingular in the US), your phone number and account info are stored on your SIM card...that's why it's so easy for GSM folk to switch phones at our will. We just have to pop the SIM into the new phone.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for clearing up the mystery, sno, my job looks a little easier now.

I was leaning toward T-Mo until I asked my friend whose phone cuts out more than anyone else's who his provider was. to be fair, he's using a Sidekick which he's not sure isn't to blame.

I've got a month before I really have to decide.
    To be fair, I had a sidekick 3 for a while, and it supposedly had edge. my 680 is much faster (MUCH), and I pay $14 less per month for the data...fwiw.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I just purchased my 680 and signed-up with TMO yesterday! (I used to be with Verizon). I got the Tzones and have been able to use Blazer and get on a couple of sites.

I'm just getting up-to-speed with TMO - is Tzones another way to get internet access? What's the difference between Tzones and Tmobile Internet (besides the cost)?

Thanks!
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    Supposedly, tzones is the plan for light usage. If you're going to use a lot of data (subjective call) then you're supposed to opt for the full T-Mobile Internet package. I've heard that if you download hundreds of MBs of data every day then T-Mobile might contact you and tell you you're being bumped off the tzones plan for abuse. Just a rumor though. One of those "I have a friend who knows a guy whose girlfriend....". The bottom line is that tzones gives you everything the T-Mobile Internet package does.

Every now and then T-Mobile shuts off some services with tzones. When they do this folks just manually enter the proxy server info and they're up and running again in about 10 seconds. It's been a while since they tried that, the last time being about 8 or 9 months ago. Lasted about 2 months. I think it was to convince folks to sign up for the total internet package if they wanted data services. Pretty half-hearted attempt, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Supposedly, tzones is the plan for light usage. If you're going to use a lot of data (subjective call) then you're supposed to opt for the full T-Mobile Internet package. I've heard that if you download hundreds of MBs of data every day then T-Mobile might contact you and tell you you're being bumped off the tzones plan for abuse. Just a rumor though. One of those "I have a friend who knows a guy whose girlfriend....". The bottom line is that tzones gives you everything the T-Mobile Internet package does.

Every now and then T-Mobile shuts off some services with tzones. When they do this folks just manually enter the proxy server info and they're up and running again in about 10 seconds. It's been a while since they tried that, the last time being about 8 or 9 months ago. Lasted about 2 months. I think it was to convince folks to sign up for the total internet package if they wanted data services. Pretty half-hearted attempt, though.
    How does one get back up to speed? Technical answer requested as I am a technician being beaten to bits by this haggling.