Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    T-mobile whacked me $690 for data charges while roaming in Europe. I called to see if there was anything weird while roaming and customer care had noting to say beyond $15/mb of data. I have a spam filter, i set the 650 (unlocked GSM) to limit incoming to 2k which is pretty much headers only with a line or two of text. I expected about 5-8 megs for 18 days of email (calls were a different issue and easily measurable). I almost fell over at 46 megs and after many calls to cusotmer care and whomever else I thought might know something I firgured it out myself. I sent some messages to multiple recipients and the phone meased the actual amount of data sent. T-Mobile measured that data MULTIPLIED by the number of recipients which was never disclosed. No one I spoke to after getting the bill had the slightest idea that was the case and only after raising a stink did someone (after I told them what to look for) figure it out and their position was TOO BAD! "You called and asked and never asked specifically (not to mention no one had any idea or had any documentation that disclosed it) so you owe us the money.

This is crap, the total bill was $1,080 for the month and I am disputing the data charge. I think they are citing a dogmatic empty suit position and I will win this in small claims. It is a huge waste of time but it will be for them as well. Any cheesy lawyers out there want to wage a class action suit, it's an east winner as most judges have cell phones and are tired of this crap like the rest of us.
    Never underestimate the power of freedom!

Treo 600, 650, 700P and now 755P.
    That sounds like garbage to me. Data charges are data from the phone to the network, if you send one million copies of an email (using the cc field) you should be charged for one email (granted, with one million addresses, it will be big), but not one million. Ask for as much detail as possible about the data use (time, location, amount, etc.). 46 megs seems way too much for 18 days.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    That is my position exactly. I sent the same message twice to about 60 or so recipients each so as not appear like spam. I probably sent about 10-12 of those which is 20-24 messages x 20K, being generous plus a bunch more but realistically, how many can one person send from a phone? It would have been one thing if someone @ T_Mobile knew and it was disclosed somewhere but I was the one who finally figured it out. Using their numbers, if I had sent 20k messages (large for text only) I would have sent 23,000 emails and couldn't have done it in 18 days sending day and night!

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    BTW, I sent the same message to about 60 or so recipients twice at a time so as not to appear like spam. I probably sent 10-12 of those which is 20-24 plus more to fewer recipients. Using their numbers, I would have sent 23,000 20k (large for text only) messages in 18 days. That's a bit tough to do on a Treo (as wonderful as it is) in a year let alone in 18 days while traveling!

Wow, I was there for 2 months, used Verichat several times, used internet often and email daily. I had about $600 bill oever two months.

I tried to ensure that they had me on every international plan they had before I left.

I *****ed and complained and they halved it, but it took a lot of work.

I had a 2nd Treo that I was buying Orange Prepaid cards for, phone calls were great and cheap, but data was hard to calculate.
    if I do head over seas, what would be the best thing for me to do in order to not have an outragous phone bill?

I'm on t-mobile as well.
    The best thing would be to get the Blackberry plan for $39.00 a month and add the unlimited international for $19.99. That should cover it.
    I had a similiar problem with AT&T, now Cingular, soon to be AT&T - anyway, problem with phone charges, not data. Invoice for one week was approaching $1000. NO way. They said tough. I said Federal Communications Commission and New York State Public Service Commission. I have no clue who has authority here, but they backed down and wiped the entire bill out. Only condition was I had to agree to a 2 year extension of my contract. Kinda silly, but I agreed.

Give it a try.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Love84 View Post
    if I do head over seas, what would be the best thing for me to do in order to not have an outragous phone bill?

I'm on t-mobile as well.

Not sure what device you have which would have a bearing on the Blackberry idea (or is that somehow cross platform, doubt it). Talk time is easy, you will typically pay $.99/min unless you buy a local pre-paid card sim card if you are there long enough to have it make sense.

Data is another thing. It appears as though they must have minimum per transmission charges, someone mentioned that (after the fact of course)! Do not cc: anyone thinking you will not be charged the minimum or more (depending on the size of the email messages) multiplied by the number of recipients and no one seems to know that except the computer that bills you. beyond that, I don't know.

I have always had good experiences with T-Mobile until this go-around. Now they are hounding me to pay even though we are in dispute. I paid everything except the 70% of the data charge which is too generous on my part.

[QUOTE=nptski;1170150]T-mobile whacked me $690 for data charges while roaming in Europe. I called to see if there was anything weird while roaming and customer care had noting to say beyond $15/mb of data.

I'm very surprised to see $15/mb. I've used my phone in Europe several times and the charge was $1 per megabyte (with a 1-mb minimum, though). Did you sign up for their world phone (or something like that) plan? It's free.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Yes, I signed up for the World phone option and never saw the $1/mb pricing. They are sticking it to their guns and sticking it to me big time! They keep stating that I didn't ask and so they didn't tell. They say charges are valid and I keep asking for some detail. Of course they ignore that and just give me totals. It is total crap and they cannot show me any record of the usage beyond a total. It is like making a bunch of calls (charging by the 'pound') and just getting a total.

i have very high credit scores and paid the cheaters which is not a good position. I keep saying the same thing, "Did anyone really know the system multiplies the basic minimum charge per message (they said nothing about that either)? I doubt they were trying to cheat me, they just had no idea and consequently whacked me. I am not trying to get something for nothing but I would challenge them to go out to dinner and find someone charged them by the oz. and just gave them a total with no detail and said, "Tough, we didn't knw and didn't tell you so just pay"! That's the cheating part!

Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    I'm very surprised to see $15/mb. I've used my phone in Europe several times and the charge was $1 per megabyte (with a 1-mb minimum, though). Did you sign up for their world phone (or something like that) plan? It's free.
    How long have you had your contract? Could you have been grandfathered in at the lower rate?

I looked at data rates for overseas data in late 2005. The data rates are clearly stated on their web sites:
    - T-mobile, 1.5 cents per kb ($15/mb)
    - Cingular, 1.9 cents per kb ($19/mb)

I ended up on Cingular (because of the reception), and I typically pay $100-125 per week for data and text when I go overseas (4-6 weeks a year). They provide a detailed breakdown of data usage on my bill, but I don't see it until about 2 months after the actual usage. Most of my usage is for email using Chatter; one email header is about 250 bites. Usage gets charged in increments of 1kb, so downloading one email header costs 1.9 cents. Browsing the web is more expensive, even with pictures turned off, and downloading attachments or sending pictures is very expensive. (I once made the mistake of sending a picture to my wife - it was about 1.1 MB, which cost $22.)

BTW, international text (SMS) is 20 cents per outgoing message, 15 cents per incoming message for both.

And FWIW, you can get unlimited international data plan adders for Blackberry for $20/month (TMO) or $35 (Cingular).
    Last edited by jg70124; 01/26/2007 at 08:53 AM.
    Hi

I have the "unlimited internet plan" and used the phone - a dash - in the same manner in December with no extra charge than quoted by the salesman. Roamed the internet, received emails, some with attachments and responded... no extra charge that all the plans subscibed

Last week I was in Europe using the phone.. again same type of use - when it stopped working. My husband called T-Mobile who said it was a technical problem, I did get the same explanation when attempting to log in my Hot Spot from a wifi location on my computer.... finally, I am back in the USA, reached T-Mobile accounting department and was told that the service was suspended because my bill was $6,000 + for 3 days of data use in Europe...

When I explained that i used the phone in the same manner in December and that there was no extra charge - just as the salesperson explained - the response was that I got lucky in December!!! and that I owed $6,000 end of discussion.

BTW - i am so cost conscious that I did not use the phone to make any phone calls at 0.99/mn.

I read and reread the terms for the "total internet plan"

"The T-Mobile Total Internet Add On Feature gives you unlimited Internet access and unlimited T-Mobile HotSpot access. Use T-Mobile Internet to access your e-mail and browse the Internet no matter where you are. "

It DOES say "no matter where you are"... just like that salesperson said...
    not no matter where you are in the USA...

I was VERY clear when i bought the phone of my intentions. I had been a Hot Spot customers for several years.

Any suggestion? and any more folks with this problem?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nptski View Post
    T-mobile whacked me $690 for data charges while roaming in Europe. I called to see if there was anything weird while roaming and customer care had noting to say beyond $15/mb of data. I have a spam filter, i set the 650 (unlocked GSM) to limit incoming to 2k which is pretty much headers only with a line or two of text. I expected about 5-8 megs for 18 days of email (calls were a different issue and easily measurable). I almost fell over at 46 megs and after many calls to cusotmer care and whomever else I thought might know something I firgured it out myself. I sent some messages to multiple recipients and the phone meased the actual amount of data sent. T-Mobile measured that data MULTIPLIED by the number of recipients which was never disclosed. No one I spoke to after getting the bill had the slightest idea that was the case and only after raising a stink did someone (after I told them what to look for) figure it out and their position was TOO BAD! "You called and asked and never asked specifically (not to mention no one had any idea or had any documentation that disclosed it) so you owe us the money.

This is crap, the total bill was $1,080 for the month and I am disputing the data charge. I think they are citing a dogmatic empty suit position and I will win this in small claims. It is a huge waste of time but it will be for them as well. Any cheesy lawyers out there want to wage a class action suit, it's an east winner as most judges have cell phones and are tired of this crap like the rest of us.
    I've tried matching the amount of data sent/received according to programs on the Treo (e.g., X messages at Y kilobytes max + Google Maps' data tracking). These consistently come out lower than what I'm billed for when travelling.

I don't think it's Cingular/TMobile's fault -- they're probably being billed by the roaming carrier...
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLar View Post
    I've tried matching the amount of data sent/received according to programs on the Treo (e.g., X messages at Y kilobytes max + Google Maps' data tracking). These consistently come out lower than what I'm billed for when travelling.

I don't think it's Cingular/TMobile's fault -- they're probably being billed by the roaming carrier...
    i have no idea but i am not all that thrilled about not having any way to know. They can certainly time a call, why not a data transmission? To that point, why can't each transmission of data be itemized like a call is? If not, then they can just charge what they want. I really don't think they are huddled up trying to cheat us but there must be some accountability. They certainly expect to be paid to the penny, why can't i know what i am being billed for.

Update: after many, many calls and emails arguing my case, it finally got to someone that could make a logical decision and they credited me 1/2 of the charges. It was still too much by a lot but it was time to move on and I appreciated settling and thanked them.