1.    #1  
    my Sprint contract is coming up in a couple months. I've been very pleased with the 650, and the data plan was reasonable compared to Verizon's -- but the phone is getting a bit quirky (buttons sometimes don't quite take) so maybe a 680 is in order or who knows, maybe even a 750p if it comes out before March.

more importantly since I travel abroad a fair amount I'm thinking I'd be better served with GSM.

I've been searching through the forums, but I still have lots of questions. My sense is that T-Mo Palm customers sound a bit more loyal than Cingular's -- but I don't personally know that many customers of either who are really thrilled with the coverage. Then again, I never thought Verizon's coverage was that much better than Sprint's.

1) for New Yorkers (Bklyn here, but drive all over LI, upstate & Jersey and travel around the country frequently) how is coverage for T-Mo v. Cing? any advantage, price or otherwise, to either's data plan?

2) any recommendations for working the best deal? I noticed Jack Naylor in an earlier post saying, "I'd walk into an "all carriers" brick and mortar and let the salesman call Cingular saying that he has a Verizon customer in the store who will switch if they sweeten the deal for you." which makes sense -- though again, something makes me think T-Mo might be better -- I suppose if I could knock down the price of that plan that includes Wi-Fi to 19.99, I might not be able to resist.

3) any preference for European coverage? I'm assuming if I buy a locked 680, the process for unlocking it is the same, correct?
    I am a T-mobile customer. I'm happy with them.

Fine coverage everywhere I've gone so far evev including NY -- NYC and upstate (Syracuse and vicinity).

International travel is easy.

I don't think you can get them to sell you the old $19.99 data plan. You'll spend $29.99 and get Hotspots which is actually quite useful if you travel.

I have a 650. I'd buy a 680 but the only reason I can conjure up so far is 'Crimson Red'. The 650 works fine.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    I am a T-mobile customer. I'm happy with them.

Fine coverage everywhere I've gone so far evev including NY -- NYC and upstate (Syracuse and vicinity).

International travel is easy.

I don't think you can get them to sell you the old $19.99 data plan. You'll spend $29.99 and get Hotspots which is actually quite useful if you travel.
    hmph, a bit more than I'm paying Sprint -- I don't use voice intensively during the day, maybe I can make it up.

I have a 650. I'd buy a 680 but the only reason I can conjure up so far is 'Crimson Red'. The 650 works fine.
    well, if I wasn't thinking about switching providers, I probably wouldn't consider it either, or would try something else, since the phone has held up well through a cross-country motorcycle trip, not to mention being dropped about fifty times.

the other thing about the 680 is I'm getting the feeling it's a good stage in the typical Palm development cycle.
    Last edited by rayfield; 12/20/2006 at 11:24 AM.
    A word of advice. If you get Cingular, get the Media Max 200 plan ($20/month for unlimited data + 200 SMS/MMS messages.)
    It works just as well as the $40 PDA plan thaty you're supposed to get. Now Cingular may insist you get the PDA plan, buy you can go online and change to Media max or call and have them change to Media max if you tell them it's for a phone, not a PDA.

Rumor has it that in the near future they're going to do something to enforce the media Max plan so it won't work on a PDA. I don't know if it's true but they haven't done anything in the last 3 years.
    Just be forewarned when considering the cost.
    $20 Media Max and $20 Smartphone connect both totally work on a PDA. I and countless others have used it for years.
    You're "Supposed" to get $40 PDA Plan add-on.
    But as I said there's no enforcement. If there were to be, it's just stop working one day.

Optionally you can get meida max 1000 ($30) or Media max 3000 ($40). They differ only in the number of SMS/MMS messages included (1000, 3000 respectively.)

FOr the $40 PDA plan it includes no messaging. You can add 200 SMS/MMS for $5/month, or 3000 for $20/month.
    There is also a PDA connect bundle for $50 that is PDA unlmited with 1000 SMS/MMS I believe.

All this on top of a $40 voice plan (that's the smallest plan.)
    Is it(Media Max) only Edge connection or HSDPA is supported if I already have HSDPA capable phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    A word of advice. If you get Cingular, get the Media Max 200 plan ($20/month for unlimited data + 200 SMS/MMS messages.)
    It works just as well as the $40 PDA plan thaty you're supposed to get. Now Cingular may insist you get the PDA plan, buy you can go online and change to Media max or call and have them change to Media max if you tell them it's for a phone, not a PDA.

Rumor has it that in the near future they're going to do something to enforce the media Max plan so it won't work on a PDA. I don't know if it's true but they haven't done anything in the last 3 years.
    Just be forewarned when considering the cost.
    $20 Media Max and $20 Smartphone connect both totally work on a PDA. I and countless others have used it for years.
    You're "Supposed" to get $40 PDA Plan add-on.
    But as I said there's no enforcement. If there were to be, it's just stop working one day.

Optionally you can get meida max 1000 ($30) or Media max 3000 ($40). They differ only in the number of SMS/MMS messages included (1000, 3000 respectively.)

FOr the $40 PDA plan it includes no messaging. You can add 200 SMS/MMS for $5/month, or 3000 for $20/month.
    There is also a PDA connect bundle for $50 that is PDA unlmited with 1000 SMS/MMS I believe.

All this on top of a $40 voice plan (that's the smallest plan.)
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  6. ads
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I was T-Mo for 5+ years, just switched to Cing. Why? Wanted a 680 as my 600 broke (one too many drops, the last one high up onto concrete), AND I now get a corp discount with Cing. The move, with 4 numbers to port, was really painful; I got more accurate info from T-Mo on the porting process than Cing, whose first CSR said T-Mo would have to intiate (100% wrong). I also had trouble with the web app to get all this done, in hindsight mosty due to information on porting the 4 lines appearing WAY too late in the process, and another CSR who said I'd have to do 4 applications (wrong, once you understand how the web app works), etc. THEN, with a confirmation order number, the whole friggin order got lost in their system, they couldn't find it. I finally had a GREAT account rep from Cingular (supports my company) who fixed it all and got me my treo 680, other phones, on time (well before I left town again) and apparently directly applied the rebate, so he kind of saved the day.
    Can't speak for coverage in NY.
    T-Mo will unlock your phone soon in a contract so you can buy a cheap SIM overseas; Cingular (hearsay) is tougher, does for long-term customers, but 1) this may change, as copyright law now clarifies that 3rd party companies and users that use their unlock codes are not violating software copyrights, and 2) companies exist that can unlock your TREO for a fee. Upshot, it is getting where there's less reason for Cingular to resist providing unlock codes IMO.
    ADS
  7.    #7  
    thanks for the replies. I guess it's looking likelier that I will make this switch, but I've got a month or two to see what's around and decide, & talk to people here. I'm leaning toward T-Mo but if suddenly Cingular announces a 750W -- well, I dunno.

one thing I don't understand in general is how come they work so much harder to retain you than to get you? you always hear people say here, "I just called the retaining department" (or whatever it's called) to get some tweaking done. if I'm calling a provider to set up a new account for the first time, I'd think they'd be inclined to say, "well, okay, we'll give you ten bucks off data a month in exchange for a 2-year contract" -- that is, unless my credit record was a disaster or something.