1.    #1  
    I have been a loyal T-Mobile user since Voicestream. I have never been very satisfied with their hardware offerings, however the service has been very reliable and I travel regularly to Europe. I have always purchased whatever unlocked phone that I want and simply used the service.

I currently have a Nokia 6681 and am considering upgrading to an unlocked Treo 680. I would like to stay with T-Mobile because my wife and I are both using the service and there are financial benefits to staying within the same network.

Here's my question(s)

Other than simply inputting my Sim Card in the phone, what are the other configurations that I would need to input to access email, etc...? Would I need to purchase a data plan? I can't seem to find information about T-Mobile's data service on their website.

I would appreciate any opinions, pros and cons.

Any links to websites which offer this information would be helpful as well.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oravat View Post
    I have been a loyal T-Mobile user since Voicestream. I have never been very satisfied with their hardware offerings, however the service has been very reliable and I travel regularly to Europe. I have always purchased whatever unlocked phone that I want and simply used the service.

I currently have a Nokia 6681 and am considering upgrading to an unlocked Treo 680. I would like to stay with T-Mobile because my wife and I are both using the service and there are financial benefits to staying within the same network.

Here's my question(s)

Other than simply inputting my Sim Card in the phone, what are the other configurations that I would need to input to access email, etc...? Would I need to purchase a data plan? I can't seem to find information about T-Mobile's data service on their website.

I would appreciate any opinions, pros and cons.

Any links to websites which offer this information would be helpful as well.
    HI, I'm a TMO customer as well and am awaiting the arrival of my unlocked 680 from Palm. I believe you'll need to sign up for the 'Total Internet Add-on' data plan, for unlimited data....price is $29.99/mo. This is what I had when I was using a 650 and it worked just fine. If you don't want unlimited data, I'm sure there's something else available - just give them a call and ask. Personally I only go with 'unlimited' so there are no hassles. The data plan might seem a bit pricey, but no one else beats TMO in terms of their affordable voice plans. It balances out. Good luck!
    Doesn't t-mobile have a $19 plan for data? I am on Sprint now, out of contract, and would love to jump over to any other carrier, especially a GSM one. My hope now is to go with t-mobile and the unlocked Treo. All I need is a combination of unlimited data/some voice for $50 or so per month to justify it....
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Howvevee, a much cheaper option would be to use the tmobile web for 5.99 or get on a balckberry plan.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    Howvevee, a much cheaper option would be to use the tmobile web for 5.99 or get on a balckberry plan.
    I thought the $5.99 plan was more limiting. I just cancelled my $19.99/mo Blackberry BIS plan since I sold my 8700g. Now waiting for the 680. Can a Blackberry plan work with the 680?
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    i would first try 5.99 plan...i think many uses this with the proxy and it works just fine...if not then use other plans..
    Also, keep in mind that the 29.99 breaks into two pieces: $14.99 and 15.00. I'm not sure which is for which, but this includes unlimited data on the phone and unlimited use of the hotspots with your laptop at any t-mo hotspot (starbucks, hotels, airports, etc.)

Also, I don't think t-mo offers the 19.99 plan anymore. They used to offer the two stated above for 19.99 and 19.99 for a total of $39.00, but I don't think they're doing that anymore. I think you could only have that if you had it prior to the change of policy, but fo rnew customers, you have to get the $29.99. I do think the $29 plan is pretty great for all that it offers.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    If you complain enough and ask to go to retentions, you might get the $19.99 plan again. Bluffing to switch to a rival company might help. Or so I read...
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    If you complain enough and ask to go to retentions, you might get the $19.99 plan again. Bluffing to switch to a rival company might help. Or so I read...
    Worked with me. I mentioned to TMO retentions that Cingular offers a data plan for $19.99/mo and I really don't want to spend $29.99/mo...they deduced that I might switch and they offered me the old TMO grandfathered data plan for $19.99/mo! Ironic thing is, I think I am going to jump to Cingular anyway when the 750 comes out.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    The more expensive plan gets you Starbucks Wifi and TMobile Internet. The only reason you'd need that is if you actually wanted the Starbucks Wifi, and were using the GPRS connection for more advanced internet access, like VPN tunnels or encrpypted data. If you are just getting emails and some light web browsing to treo.treocentral.com and pg1.yahoo.com, the TZones plan will work well for you. My 680 is working great with TMobile! The T-Mobile site is a bit confusing right now and I couldn't find the current pricing for data add-on plans, sorry.
    Mike
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    I use the BB unlimtitwd plan. works great except for one thing.
    In the preference menu. You can't set Tzones as the defualt internet service, because after a reset, it reverts to the Tmobile Unlimited internet. Which won't work once you change to a blackberry plan.
    Get the $5.99 plan. They used to restrict ports to 80,443,25,110, but in the last few weeks all ports are open. You don't even have to use the proxy. Google Maps works just fine!