Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    1- Can you use the SmartPhone Connect Unlimited w/Xpress Mail ($20) with the Treo, or do they require the $45 PDA plan?

2- I see that the TOS for both disallows streaming audio/video. Do they really care? Do they terminate like Verizon does with their plan? Or is Cingular's Unlimited really Unlimited?

3- Can you get a Cingular SIM without a contract? In other words, can I buy an unlocked Treo off of eBay, go to a Cingular store and get a SIM to pop in without a contract? Or will I have to get POGO sim and try it out from there? If I get a prepaid sim, is there any way to get the data to work?

4- I know that the SIM card stores the contacts, etc. But how does this function with the Palm OS? Does it store it as well, or is this feature only for regular phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX View Post
    1- Can you use the SmartPhone Connect Unlimited w/Xpress Mail ($20) with the Treo, or do they require the $45 PDA plan?
    I can't comment on the SmartPhone Connect plan, but Xpress Mail works just fine on the MediaWorks plans.

2- I see that the TOS for both disallows streaming audio/video. Do they really care? Do they terminate like Verizon does with their plan? Or is Cingular's Unlimited really Unlimited?
    The only streaming I've ever done is to listen to an mp3 audio stream for an hour. They didn't terminate my account.

3- Can you get a Cingular SIM without a contract? In other words, can I buy an unlocked Treo off of eBay, go to a Cingular store and get a SIM to pop in without a contract? Or will I have to get POGO sim and try it out from there? If I get a prepaid sim, is there any way to get the data to work?
    Sorry, can't help you there.

4- I know that the SIM card stores the contacts, etc. But how does this function with the Palm OS? Does it store it as well, or is this feature only for regular phones?
    You can add contacts to the SIM manually while its in the Treo, but you can't copy anything off of the SIM into the PalmOS Contact databases. In general, though, a normal user using their SIM only in a Treo would only add contacts and other data into the PalmOS databases and not onto the SIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bwh1248 View Post
    You can add contacts to the SIM manually while its in the Treo, but you can't copy anything off of the SIM into the PalmOS Contact databases. In general, though, a normal user using their SIM only in a Treo would only add contacts and other data into the PalmOS databases and not onto the SIM.
    Of course you can copy from the SIM to the Palm Contact database! You can import all, export all, or individual items.

I rarely use the SIM card, as you say, in the Treo. I rarely have on any phone, considering the SIM stores such little information. But I do usually keep the basic numbers in the SIM in case I do need to put it in another phone for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Of course you can copy from the SIM to the Palm Contact database! You can import all, export all, or individual items.
    Of course you are correct. What I had intended to say was that you can't easily copy contacts to the SIM (at least not that I am aware of) or in any way easily keep any of the contact information in sync. between the contacts DB and the SIM. I think that is a missing feature personally. I don't use the SIM contacts that much either. But I do have an alternate phone I use every now and then, and it would be nice to be able to move contacts back and forth a little more easily then is currently possible with the out of the box software.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the clarifications.
    The media net plans will work with the treo. That is what I have been using with my treo and other pda phones for the past two years.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future

1- Any data plan will work on the Treo. The are all basically the same except that the PDA plan and higher include an optional secondary access point you can connect to to do 'PPTP' VPN (IPSec VPN doesn't need this.) Somehthing most people don't need. Smartphone connect is basically identical to MediaMax without the text messaging included.
    2-Cingular doesn't enforce ANY of the TOS. They in fact sell streaming video and audio services to use with media max data plans. So yeah, they don't care. Lots of people do it and no one has ever been nailed for it.
    3-You can get a SIM with no contract, but it's going to be hard to get them to do it. No-contract plans don't include unlimited Mobile to mobile and don't include rollover.
    You could get a SIM with a 1 year contract (instead of 2) and just not take the phone discount, or use the phone discount at a later date to get another phone. 1 vs 2 year contracts differ only in the discount you get on a phone.
    4-You can store contacts in the SIM. You can store them in the phone memory (more elaborate.) You can copy them between phone memory and the SIM. The SIM's method is very crude (name + number only).
    I have some contacts duplicated in my memory (Treo contacts) as well as my SIM for when I move my SIM to another phone.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks
    Regarding which data plan. I should mention that at any point in the future Cingular COULD start enforcing which phone you can use with different data plans. They haven't so far and I don't know if they have any plans to, but just be prepared that things could change some day. The worst that should happen is that you'd be forced to buy the $40 PDA unlimited plan. I've watching for them to do this for 3 years, and so far they haven't.
  10.    #10  
    So they define the Treo as a PDA rather than a SmartPhone?
    Good quick summary from taylorh. However, Cingular has twice removed me from my grandfathered MediaWorks plan that had unlimited data and tons of SMS/MMS (I've been on that plan for 2 years). The only time I found out about it was when I got the $500 bill. They eventually switched me back the first time, but I'm still in the middle of it again this time. There was no real explanation either time for why it happened. So my guess is that they do take a set of customers like me that have plans that are no longer offered for the device they are using and try to switch them to one of the current plans. I have no way of proving that of course. But I look at as the first time is an accident, the second time is a pattern. Just keep your eyes on your bill.
    PabloTX, yes that is correct. I don't actually know what their definition is for one vs. the other, but they do classify the Treo as a PDA.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    1- Any data plan will work on the Treo. The are all basically the same except that the PDA plan and higher include an optional secondary access point you can connect to to do 'PPTP' VPN (IPSec VPN doesn't need this.) Somehthing most people don't need. Smartphone connect is basically identical to MediaMax without the text messaging included.
    The push feature for Exchange Plugin in Chatter requires DataConnect (the $40) plan because that one has ports open that MediaNet does not.

Details at
    http://www.chatteremail.com/index.ph...d=68&Itemid=57
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    The push feature for Exchange Plugin in Chatter requires DataConnect (the $40) plan because that one has ports open that MediaNet does not.

Details at
    http://www.chatteremail.com/index.ph...d=68&Itemid=57
    Interesting. Well it works on my Treo 650. It pushes IMAP mail to my phone all day long.
    Wap.cingular (Media Net) doesn't have any closed ports. That's a myth. In fact closed ports cant be the issue because chatter only uses the 1 port for IMAP. If that were closed you wouln't even be able to connect nevermind get push. It's possible that the NAT router on media net (wap.cingular) tends to close down ports that have gone idle after a period of inactivity (while chatter is 'idle') requring chatter to re-establish connection. I suppose this could cause some disruption in some push mail.
    But I can tell you for a fact that I used MS DirectPush on WM5 and have used chatter for 1 year with IMAP push, and it works.
    But there could have been small delays im my email delivery that I never noticed before... I'll have to start paying closer attention.

Also, they sell 'smartphone connect with MS directpush' for WM5 smartphones to use with MS direct push (of course.) That plan is IDENTICAL to media net using the wap.cingiular access point. The 'with direct push' plan cost $5 more, but that's just a trick to get corporate customers to pay more.

I can't claim to know everything at the most technical detail, so it's possible I'm wrong about some things. I'd like to understand more about why that's posted on the chatter support page (based on experience or based on myth?)

Thanks for the link.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    PabloTX, yes that is correct. I don't actually know what their definition is for one vs. the other, but they do classify the Treo as a PDA.
    There are only 2 phones they consider smartphones. Those are the Cingular 2125 and Cingular 3125. It appears THE deciding factor is that PDAs have a keyboard, and smartphones do not (they have a dial pad like a phone.)
    Coincidentally the smart phones also run "WM smartphone edition."
    Good quick summary from taylorh. However, Cingular has twice removed me from my grandfathered MediaWorks plan that had unlimited data and tons of SMS/MMS (I've been on that plan for 2 years). The only time I found out about it was when I got the $500 bill. They eventually switched me back the first time, but I'm still in the middle of it again this time. There was no real explanation either time for why it happened. So my guess is that they do take a set of customers like me that have plans that are no longer offered for the device they are using and try to switch them to one of the current plans. I have no way of proving that of course. But I look at as the first time is an accident, the second time is a pattern. Just keep your eyes on your bill.
    Did you ever go in to a store before this happened? There is an issue with store sales people "flipping" features. That's where they remove your feature then re-add it so they get commission. This is what they did to me on my grandfathered Media Works plan when I went in to get a new SIM.
    He removed "Media Works" and re-added "Media Works". The dumbass didn't realize that the one I had was unlimited and the one he re-added was 5MB only. I was lucky to have caught it within a few days before the bill went out of control. Cingular refunded the overages, but I lost MediaWorks. I'm now on MediaMax200.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Interesting. Well it works on my Treo 650. It pushes IMAP mail to my phone all day long.
    Wap.cingular (Media Net) doesn't have any closed ports. That's a myth. In fact closed ports cant be the issue because chatter only uses the 1 port for IMAP.
    IMAP works but Exchange Plugin will not.

I'm simply reporting what Marc said about why MediaNet is not good enough for push delivery from Exchange Servers using Ex Plugin.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    IMAP works but Exchange Plugin will not.

I'm simply reporting what Marc said about why MediaNet is not good enough for push delivery from Exchange Servers using Ex Plugin.
    My bad. You did say that and I just assumed IMAP. I haven't been following chatter lately and wasn't even aware of the Exchage plugin. Failure to actually READ the page on my part.

It looks like in addition to getting data connect (PDA connect) you may also have to get them to provision your data with "G821"
    Step 1: Provision your Treo

Call Cingular Wireless customer service and ask to add the "Feature" with SOC code G821 to your package (its name is GPMOBILETERM, and it provides mobile-terminated data). This should be a free upgrade to your service, but PLEASE ASK. I can't be responsible for billing issues with Cingular!

Be prepared for the usual customer service insanity, plus questions about what it's for (push email).

After Cingular has set up your phone, it will be necessary to power cycle the radio on your Treo.
    Good to know and I'll make sure I communicate this next time I try to inform people of Media net limitations.

This would be only the 2nd limitation I've ever heard of on Media Net. The first being PPTP VPN.

Curious, however, why MS direct push doesn't seem to have this problem. Or maybe some people do. Perhaps this G821 is automatically gets provisioned when you sign up for on of the more expensive "****** with MS DirectPUSH." plans. (>>Complete speculation<<)

For what it's worth, I recommend people get the PDA plan for $40 for a few months and test drive it. See if you need isp.cingular or just wap.cingular works for you. If you find you don't need isp.cingular, get them to switch you down if that's what you're interested in doing.
    After all, you are supposed to be on the PDA plan for a treo and it will afford you the most hassle free, billing problem free experience. You don't need to worry about things like tethering and heavy data use on PDA (not that you necessarily do on media net.) But I can understand how very light users could justify working this system for the cheaper plan.

Sorry to clog up the thread with my posts. Thanks for bearing with me people.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    No need to apologize. I have found your posts very helpful and have learned a lot from you.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Did you ever go in to a store before this happened? There is an issue with store sales people "flipping" features. That's where they remove your feature then re-add it so they get commission.
    Yes, I think that may have been what happened at least one of the times. The person who was helping me get things fixed mentioned that it looked like someone had taken it off and readded it to my account. The first time, I was successful in getting the original MediaWorks added back on. I'm still waiting to see the final resolution on the 2nd screw up.

Thanks for the info...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast