1.    #1  
    T-mobile has the Pearl and now plans of expanding 3G coverage is more good news for them. Sounds tasty Tastypeppers.

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/344/C9595/
    at&t iPhone3G
    C'mon T-Mobile. Are you finished building it out yet? Ten minutes ago was too late! I want this.
    In other news, T-Mobile increases rates to pay for newly aquired spectrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    In other news, T-Mobile increases rates to pay for newly aquired spectrum.

. . . . and adopts Verizon's customer-friendly attitude as well.
    The 2100 band can now be use in the US?? HURRAY!! Now I can use my Nokias on either network!

In about a year though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    nope, its a different flavor of 2100...and it still has to be vacated and built out, so don't look for full implentation for at least a few years
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Yup, T-Mobile needs capital. Lotsa dough needed to buy fancy electronics. Remember what happened to the $19.99/month data plan? Yeah. Me too. I have one of those grandfathered (my wife uses this data plan) and my other Treo is on the $29.99/month data plan with Hotspots. Purely in self-defense now I go to Starbucks with my laptop to use the wifi I'm paying for.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The 2100 band can now be use in the US?? HURRAY!! Now I can use my Nokias on either network!

In about a year though.
    this is 1700 band (1700 up, 2100 dn), different from the one used in EA (1900 up, 2100 dn)
    ALL your 2100 devices DO NOT WORK, EXCEPT IT SUPPORTS 1700
    T-Mobile didn't have much of a choice though did they? If they didn't all of their customers would have jumped ship to Cingular.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but these 1700/2100 frequencies are entirely independent from the GSM frequencies we all know and love. The former will be utilized for UMTS/W-CDMA which, in contrast to the latter, uses an entirely different multiplexing scheme. Does this not mean that there will be no change on the voice side, but instead only on the data side? I haven't had the time to figure out how anything beyond GSM works, so take my post as a blind guess.

Your site is cool, FC! But is there any way to turn off the music? Besides muting my own computer, that is.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It doesn't turn off? I'll fiddle around with code later, it's probably an OS/Browser specific thing. Thanks for the compliment!

I hope this speeds up Sony-Ericsson efforts to get their P990 here!
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
    Quote Originally Posted by mingkee View Post
    this is 1700 band (1700 up, 2100 dn), different from the one used in EA (1900 up, 2100 dn)
    ALL your 2100 devices DO NOT WORK, EXCEPT IT SUPPORTS 1700
    Sorry, I must be a real noob... but I don't understand why we (US) don't build a network that will support all the European and Asian 3G phones? I thought now that we will have UMTS on 2100, I could go buy my unlocked dual mode UMTS superphone and expect it to work at high speed one day.

But after reading this, we're using 1700/2100 instead of 1900/2100? Is there a reason providers don't want the global phones to work? Is it a good business decision to build an entire network that won't support any existing phones? We have the 1900 and 2100MHz frequences in use already, right? so it's not a licensing issue?

(Try not to be too rough with me...I'm new...

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by 30mpg View Post
    Sorry, I must be a real noob... but I don't understand why we (US) don't build a network that will support all the European and Asian 3G phones? I thought now that we will have UMTS on 2100, I could go buy my unlocked dual mode UMTS superphone and expect it to work at high speed one day.

But after reading this, we're using 1700/2100 instead of 1900/2100? Is there a reason providers don't want the global phones to work? Is it a good business decision to build an entire network that won't support any existing phones? We have the 1900 and 2100MHz frequences in use already, right? so it's not a licensing issue?

(Try not to be too rough with me...I'm new...

Thanks.
    The reason we're going 1700/2100 instead of world-standard 1900/2100 is probably due to some entrenched use of the 1900/2100 frequencies in the U.S.. That would be my first guess. Too hard/expensive to shove them aside so that we phone users can now enjoy the world-standard frequencies.

I also have an idea that the carriers really don't care what happens in the rest of the world. If they cared, this whole GSM/CDMA thing wouldn't be a problem.

Finally, I figure that the carriers and the FCC figure that the 1700/2100 thing is a technical issue that can be sorted out by the handset manufacturers. If we have quadband phones we can do the same thing for 3G, right?

Economists call this "externalizing a cost" I think. They know that their decision is suboptimal and will cause dislocations because we are out of sync with the rest of the world. But they don't want to bear the cost of fixing it. Instead they force the cost on to the millions of subscribers who have to buy more complex handsets than would otherwise be required.

It's just like pollution. A polluter externalizes the true cost of manufacturing, for instance, when instead of installing air cleaning mechanisms at the factory it simply pollutes and forces us to breathe the bad air. Human air cleaners. That's what our lungs are.

But I do not judge.
    Hi Tastypeppers, and thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Economists call this "externalizing a cost" I think. They know that their decision is suboptimal and will cause dislocations because we are out of sync with the rest of the world. But they don't want to bear the cost of fixing it. Instead they force the cost on to the millions of subscribers who have to buy more complex handsets than would otherwise be required.
    I would gladly pay an extra $25 or $50 for a fully functional phone that had a few extra chips or whatever to support the additional required frequencies. I guess I'd need a dual mode, quad band GSM, dual band UMTS phone to be global...eh?

But I'm afraid most consumers would not justify the extra cost. And I'm afraid that would leave us with ... Sub-optimal phones. So is that still externalizing a cost, or offering a sub-par service?

I doubt OEMs are jumping on board right now to dual-band enable all their top end UMTS phones...could be wrong though.

EDIT: As I think to other things that are global standards, I am amazed that the Internet is actually global. Thank goodness someone was able to get us all to agree on IPv4 standards. Maybe cell phone OEMs should refuse to make phones on the 1700/2100 frequencies, then we'd be forced to use the norm.
    Last edited by 30mpg; 10/05/2006 at 01:29 PM.
    The Nokia N75 will be available in quad-band 3G, but I suspect the N75 will be very expensive. It seems to be the only phone like that, so far.

The US carriers always need to make things difficult when it comes to phones! No one will use 1700 but us!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 10/06/2006 at 03:58 AM.