Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1.    #1  
    Any NYC Cingular users? can you confirm/deny if there are any data (especially email) related issues this morning?

    Thanks,
    Ix.
  2. #2  
    I'm in Central NJ and having issues with all data, especially email.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtab1970 View Post
    Any NYC Cingular users? can you confirm/deny if there are any data (especially email) related issues this morning?

    Thanks,
    Ix.
    No. However, I have experienced data problems once or twice a year over a three year period. These are usually server related and are fixed within hours.

    The problem is not so much that the outages happen as that customer service is unable to confirm them. The end-user may spend significant time trying to fix what they can only wait out. If you really push the cs reps, they will then go out and confirm that there is a problem; takes them 3-5 minutes. However, you must push; they will not volunteer and it is not automatic.
  4. alee's Avatar
    Posts
    410 Posts
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    #4  
    No IMAP (143) services available to me this morning on Cingular. Web port 80 and 443 are fine for me. This is both in Tribeca and Midtown East 50s.
  5. #5  
    I can't connect out on secure IMAP (993) nor SSH (22) today. Unsecure IMAP same, no connectivity.

    Please tell me Cingular isn't making some changes to things.. If they block those ports I'll be pissed..

    BTW, I can't connect to Verichat reliably either.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I can't connect out on secure IMAP (993) nor SSH (22) today. Unsecure IMAP same, no connectivity.

    Please tell me Cingular isn't making some changes to things.. If they block those ports I'll be pissed..

    BTW, I can't connect to Verichat reliably either.
    More likely a failure than a block. IMAP uses the network more effciently than POP.
  7. mbn
    mbn is offline
    mbn's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    #7  
    Incoming and outgoing email through Good not working for me, nor can I connect to Versamail pop accounts. Surprisingly, the web is working fine. On phone with Cingular support who say there is an issue with Good and Cingular, but that doesn't explain Versamail issues. Of course, no ETA on when problems will be fixed.
  8. #8  
    My fear is that Cingular is going to block all ports except a handful, including WAP, and require people to pay for higher plans to get full usage. That would end my data..
  9. morrie's Avatar
    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    #9  
    i cannot connect to the internet or use my email in long beach, ca.
    morris stalk
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    My fear is that Cingular is going to block all ports except a handful, including WAP, and require people to pay for higher plans to get full usage. That would end my data..
    I do not understand this anxiety. Do you have evidence for this not available to the rest of us? Given the competition, I do not see how they could do that. You might not be able to move but enough people would to make it counter-productive for them. They are not competitive on data with Sprint right now.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I do not understand this anxiety. Do you have evidence for this not available to the rest of us? Given the competition, I do not see how they could do that. You might not be able to move but enough people would to make it counter-productive for them. They are not competitive on data with Sprint right now.
    No, I'm just a customer, no inside information.. However, we all know Cingular does not like us using the $20 data plan for everything, and wants us to use the $40.

    Would they do something like that, due to as you say, they are less than competitive already? Who knows.

    Do gas companies raise prices $.50 in a day without any real concrete reason?
  12. #12  
    According to a post on Hofo, it's a nationwide outage.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    ...........Do gas companies raise prices $.50 in a day without any real concrete reason?
    Rarely. Mostly they base their charge at the pump on what the guy down the street is charging (for the same product) and on what they expect to have to pay to replace the gallon that they are selling. They charge all consumers the same for the same product. They can even hedge their decisions. Incidentally, unless they hedge and contrary to intuition, they usually lose money when prices are rising and make it when they are falling. That is, they sell at less than replacement cost when prices are rising.

    Telcos base their pricing on what the guy down the street is charging and what it would cost them to acquire any new revenue that they lose to the guy down the street. They take into account the cost to the consumer of moving. They try to differentiate their offerings from those of the guy down the street so as to make it difficult for the consumer to make a direct comparison. They also charge different customers different amounts for the same service based upon total revenue from that customer ("bundling"), number of services that the consumer buys, and estimates of the customers loyalty. They may even lose money on some customers as long as aggregate marginal revenue covers aggregate marginal cost. Same principles but a different model.
    Last edited by whmurray; 08/28/2006 at 04:05 PM.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    According to a post on Hofo, it's a nationwide outage.
    As of the moment, I have POP in CT.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    According to a post on Hofo, it's a nationwide outage.
    Been working for me since 8:00 this morning


  16. spiVeyx's Avatar
    Posts
    573 Posts
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    #16  
    My internet seems to be REALLY slow today (takes almost 2 min. to pull up the mobile version of T|C), but my email (IMAP) seems to be unaffected.

    Pretty strange if you ask me...
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx View Post
    My internet seems to be REALLY slow today (takes almost 2 min. to pull up the mobile version of T|C), but my email (IMAP) seems to be unaffected.

    Pretty strange if you ask me...
    Could be a normal day under focus.
  18. jg70124's Avatar
    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    According to a post on Hofo, it's a nationwide outage.
    Can you provide a link to this post? I couldn't find it...

    BTW, data coverage was out for me when I woke up in Puerto Rico. It came back for about 10 minutes around 2pm eastern time, but then was out again.

    It was working when I arrived in NJ at 6pm, but is out now in NJ (9pm eastern time).
  19. #19  
    6pm EDT I tried Verichat and it connected, not sure when it "came back on" here.

    Weird that port 80 was fine but others weren't, but hopefully all is well now.
  20. #20  
    I had some problems yesterday in Seattle but all is working fine this morning back in San Fran.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions