1.    #1  
    See, if I understand things right, T-Mobile USA runs its universe on the 1900 Mhz frequency. Lots and lots of phones are tri-band (meaning they leave off the 850 Mhz frequency).

Cingular uses 850 Mhz, right? So if I got a tri-band phone from MMB or someone all I would lose would be the ability to roam on Cingular's 850 Mhz frequency. Am I right?

(Well, I'd also lose the ability to jump easily to Cingular next May when my contract expires because *$^#)! T-Mobile can't/won't fix the data speed on the tower closest to my house so *$(&_@ that *(&@$# and I'm bailing out at the end of my contract).
    You are correct. You will just lose the ability to jump on Cingular's 850 band. This band is mostly used in rural areas though so if you don't travel to the countryside much I guess it's not a big deal. I personally like the idea of having all 4 bands to ensure that I have the best possible reception. Which tri-band phone are you looking at?
    I don't know about the country only, Phattysalz. I'm with Cingular and I wanted a tri-band phone, but I was told I would be better off not dropping the 850 band as that's Cingular's main band(they also use 1900). I'm in Chicago, far from any rural area. I was told I'd get dead spots if I dropped 850. I didn't test this, however.

But yes, tri-band is fine for T-Mobile.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Now the big question for me is whether to stay with T-Mobile or not.

I'm not looking at any particular tri-band phone at the moment. I have a 650 and I like the form factor. The key element would be the ability to do full over the air sync to my Exchange Server, so that probably means a WM5 phone.

I watched the E61 (Symbian but apparently syncs well to the Exchange Server) and the TyTN. The Excalibur is another possibility. Plus there will be more.

The 750 looks promising, however. I'll be patient until September 12 to see what the announcement says about a direct offering from Palm of an unlocked unit.

It's just that up to now I've out-of-hand dismissed a tri-band phone and I wanted to know whether that was smart. Now I know I don't have to ding a phone candidate simply because it is tri-band.
    a tri-band will be just fine
    Quote Originally Posted by horatiub View Post
    a tri-band will be just fine
    While this is completely true, in the event that the OP is in an area where T-Mobile's coverage is weak or nonexistent and the OP needs to make an emergency calls, a 911 call will still go through (assuming another GSM carrier has service), even if there's no roaming agreement. An 850MHz phone isn't necessary, but it can help.
    With regards to the quad band, you will only be able to utilize the 850 and 1900 mhz bands in North America. The 900 and 1800 are for parts of Europe and Asia. So, you are just limited to 850 and 1900, or just two bands in North America.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
  8. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    You generally can't roam on Cingular even when T-Mobile does not have coverage. You can only roam on Cingular towers that are specifically allowed for roaming, of which there will be none in a metro area like Chicago. I have a 650 with T-Mobile and have only noticed roaming in rural areas, and never on Cingular.

The above poster is right though that 911 calls will allow you to use Cingular's network whether or not you are allowed to roam on it.
    Some tri-bands are made for North America. 850/1800/1900. If you find an unlocked one like that, you can then use both Cingular and T-Mobile SIMS.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!