Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Anybody out there in the Austin area (more specifically Round Rock) on Cingular? What is the coverage like where you work/live? If you can provide the closest major intersection to where you work/live that would be great. I'm thinking of switching from T-Mobile but don't want to go through the hassle if coverage is poor.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    I've never been to Texas so can't comment on first-hand experience, but Cingular's street level maps seem to pretty accurate in my area. Obviously these maps have a pretty large margin of error, but it can probably give you a idea.

The site is: http://onlinecare.cingular.com/support/maps.do

You input the zip code there.

Specifically Round Rock is: http://onlinecare.cingular.com/cover...equestid=43520

Looks like it has pretty solid coverage.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    last year when i was in austin with a buddy (i have verizon he had cingular) i got better reception than he did (especially when we went to Elgin for sausage) I live in utah, but my sister lives in Lufkin and has a verizon phone from my family plan. her hubby has a cingular phone and he gets better coverage there that she does. i know lufkin is kinda far from austin, but i know at&t had control of a lot of that region at one time. my parents live south of Beaumont and have verizon which works really well for them there, but t-mobile was pathetic there.

bottom line looks like CDMA is king in southeast texas, but northeast Texas GSM takes the title.

Again most of my experiences there were a year ago. it might be a little different now.
    "Never Put off until tomorrow
    what you can do the day after tomorrow"
    --Mark Twain

PalmIII => Sony Clie' => Dell Axim X30 => Treo 650 and loving it
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I live in Pflugerville which is about 15miles North of Austin and to be honest with you, the Cingular reception is excellent with a full Cingular bar all the time. I have lived here since 1980 and has been with Cingular since 1994 and never had a problem with Cingular reception. The problem sometimes emanates from the crapy T650 itself. I also have a razv V3x and whenever I swap the sim card and use the sim card on the razv, the Cingular reception is awesome and very clear but when I put the sim card back on the T650, its a different story. I am still with Cingular after all these years and love it so much and its up to you to decide what to do.
    I live north of Austin and have Sprint and have always had good reception. Cingular can be hit or miss around here based on a friend that has it. You might want to look at the comments here: http://www.cellreception.com/index.html
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex
    I live north of Austin and have Sprint and have always had good reception. Cingular can be hit or miss around here based on a friend that has it. You might want to look at the comments here: http://www.cellreception.com/index.html
    Thanks for pointing out that web site. It's got a lot of good information. As usual, opinions and experiences concerning carriers are all over the map (no pun intended).

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    yep, that is a problem with that site and most others - no one carrier seems to be head and shoulders above the rest - there are always customers who are pi**ed-off no matter the carrier or location! As alfred44 said - he has a really good signal at his home with Cingular. My home is probably the worst place for me with Sprint (I have looked up the local towers and the closest are Cingular and Verizon), but overall here and in the US I have good reception.

IMO, if you can pull it off, you might want to open a new account with them and try it for 14 days (or whatever they have that will give you a complete refund). It is a hassle, but it is better than having buyers remorse.

BTW - I live off 620 in Brushy Creek.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Do you know how to tell which carrier a tower is for when the owner is not the same as any of the carriers? I assume it is a leased tower but would to know which carriers are using it.

if i remember correctly, the leased ones that I looked up had email contact addresses that went to the leasor carrier. I just looked again (it has been a while) - I have a T-Mobile, Cingular and a Nextel tower within about 5 miles of my house. The Nextel one is the furtherest away - darn it.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I have a T-Mobile tower within a 1/4 of a mile from my house (close to the old SPJST hall on FM 1460) but the map at the web site mentioned above shows it as leased to Stc Five LLC located in Overland Park KS on Sprint Blvd. Makes me think this is a Sprint tower. There are 2-3 carriers on that pole as there are on the other pole right next to it which is owned by New Cingular Wireless. I'm guessing that all the carriers are sharing poles these days as it's getting harder to find new locations to put new poles.

I was just in Austin with my family for a weekend and we were all over the area and I never lost reception and had a great signal.