1.    #1  
    I have T-Mobile. I like them. Good coverage where I live. Good service.

But why oh why is it that every time a new phone comes out it is going to one of the other three carriers?

The 700w? The 700p? The Q? The TyTN? Fill in the blank here with your favorite recent/upcoming smartphone.

Look how long it took for T-Mobile to get the MDA compared to the other three carriers? They all had the equivalent model HTC phone way, way before T-Mobile.

I guess the only handset where T-Mobile is fashion forward is in the SK3. You have to give them that, even though I don't want the Sidekick.

T-Mo didn't even sell the 650. I bought two unlocked from Amazon (one for me, one for my wife). That's revenue lost to T-Mobile.
    I wonder the same things. I am with Sprint which is obvious. My younger sister's loser boyfriend with screwed up credit couldn't get any carrier to give him a contract without big costs except for Tmobile and every since he has been with Tmobile he has liked how leaneant they seemed to be about billing and other stuff. No affense, but Tmobile seems like the Kmart carrier of the bunch IMO.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Perhaps T-Mo's U.S. sales aren't as great as they are in Europe, so the company doesn't invest a lot of $$$ in the United States.
  4.    #4  
    I've been staying with T-Mobile for the worldwide roaming capabilities. It's nice to get off an airplane, fire up the Treo, and get dialtone.

But this morning my IT guy wandered into my office, a convert to the Treo Way of Life. A 700w. Verizon. Coverage better than T-Mobile -- deadzones be gone. Full sync with the server. No true push yet. (Geez. I thought the update solved this problem). But I'm tempted. I may have to bag the T-Mobile account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    I've been staying with T-Mobile for the worldwide roaming capabilities. It's nice to get off an airplane, fire up the Treo, and get dialtone.

But this morning my IT guy wandered into my office, a convert to the Treo Way of Life. A 700w. Verizon. Coverage better than T-Mobile -- deadzones be gone. Full sync with the server. No true push yet. (Geez. I thought the update solved this problem). But I'm tempted. I may have to bag the T-Mobile account.
    Try Cingular...if your want to be able to hop off a plane and get dial tone.
    at&t iPhone3G
    When I asked T-Mobile about using data on a pre-paid SIM they said that only the SideKick could work.

Seems to me they have too much invested in the SideKick and have to force users into it. Maybe that is also why they don't carry to many other phones.
    I went with an unlocked 650 from Cingular when I cracked the screen on my 600. I haven't really looked at the improvements with the 700 series, but am glad to see Cingular seems to be adding it to their lineup.

Where I live in Hawaii, the only company which I can get service at home is T-Mobile. Like the originator of this thread, I really do like the customer service. I've known people with other carriers who have had nightmares with their customer service. T-Mobile has always been good to me. They are quick to do handset exchanges if your phone is faulty, and their tech support reps really seem to know what they're doing if you call with questions.

I too would like to see T-Mobile be a little better about getting updated phones. We checked out the Sidekick III for my wife the other day and it's definitely not a treo or MDA quality. She has the MDA and has had so many problems with it...constantly having to reset it for one reason or another. My 650 has been a beaut in not requiring resets constantly.

Jerry
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    They have spent the past few years building up their 3G network in Europe. They have stated that they intend to increase their investment in the US over the next few years. They are bidding for increased spectrum in the auction that began last Wednesday (or does it begin this Wednesday?) so they can begin working on a real 3G or 4G network. However, since they are quite a ways behind the other carriers in the US I don't expect them to ever catch up due to the cost involved. I also think that the handset makers don't offer the deals to T-Mobile because they don't have the volume that the other carriers have. IIRC, they felt that they got burned on the Treo 600 because of the high level of returns.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    I think its their business model. They compete based on price. They offer crappy free phones or cheap ones, and offer the most minutes. A lot of people don't want the latest and greatest phones. They can't compete on network size or coverage with the big boys. They try differentiate themselves by offering great customer service and being affordable. Most people aren't gadget freaks like TC members. Many people aren't familiar with all the bells and whistles that various phones have. Sure the business accounts are the most profitable, but verizon and the other networks have that edge. Thats what I think, I'm probably wrong, but hey it's my opinion.
    I think they didn't pick up the 650 because the 600 had a lot of issues and it was a big hassle handling customers calling trying to fix the problems with that particular model.
    Personally, I use the factory unlocked 650 with T-Mobile. Sure, you have to pay full retail price on the unit but in the long run you save money.

I do this all the time with people in my store, Let's make a comparison between T-Mobile and Verizon (the carrier the offers the Treo's for the least amount of upfront money).

Verizon Plan based on a 24 month contract.

$59.99 for 900 minutes = $1439.76 over 24 months
    $45.99 for data plan = $1103.76
    Price of unit = $300

Total cost of ownership = $2843.52

T-Mobile based on 24 months

$39.99 for 1000 minutes = $959.76
    $29.99 for data plan = $719.76
    Price of unit = $600

Total cost of ownership = $2279.52

So, based on these numbers even with buying the phone outright over 24 months you save $564 dollars being on T-Mobile.

Now, here is the fun part. If you factor in the $5.99 T-Zone hack then you are looking at a savings of $1140.00

I don't buy the better coverage thing either. I have had Verizon and here in Los Angeles I had plenty of dropped calls. Way more then I ever have on T-Mobile.
    T-Mobile Rom update is available for the MDA. Anyone who's using it, check their website. This will give you true Direct Push without the text message trigger garbage.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!