1.    #1  
    I noticed that Cingular's website says Treo 650 is the first deviced to utilize EDGE for faster downloads.

I bought the darn thing but noticed the downloads are similar to a 14.4k modem.

Keep in mind that I do most of my web browsing while at work where I get full signal bars.

What speeds was I supposed to see with this "EDGE?"

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    It doesn't show it's on EDGE anywhere. EDGE is a minor extention to GPRS.

If you do a speed test, anything above 40kbit is going to be EDGE.

Similar to a 14.4k modem? You actually used one? That would be arouhnd 1.4KB/sec or 11kbit/sec on speed reports. I doubt it's that slow.
    It varies, as khaytsus said, anything above 40kbps is technically EDGE. I have seen speeds of 200kbps+ fairly consistently though. Are you in an area that used to be AT&T?

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I live in Vail Colorado. I have a Treo 650 which supports EDGE. I am getting speeds of 10 to 34 kbs at high useage times; other times it is 50 to 60 kbs. From my discussions with data support it is due to the fact that there are so many users on the network. When I signed up for media net I was told speeds would be around 100kbs.

Anybody else having similar problems?
  5.    #5  
    Yeah I used to use a 14.4k modem when I was in the dorms over at UH Manoa.

I am in an area that used to be AT&T. The Cingular website says the Treo650 is The first PDA device with EDGE high-speed data transmission.

It takes half a minute to load www.ebay.com page.

I have to browse with images disabled. Otherwise it takes too long to load.

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    Areas which used to be AT&T seem to have lower bitrates. Go to the Cingular store and trade in your Gemplus SIM for an Axalto SIM, if you haven't already.

Loading ebay is NOT an example of speed. ebay has a lot of little widgets and crap that it has going on its page. Loading useless CSS, loading javascript, who knows what else.

I think it's pretty established that ebay doesn't work very well in Blazer anyway.. But perhaps you could look up a watch list or something without much fuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanward
    Yeah I used to use a 14.4k modem when I was in the dorms over at UH Manoa.

I am in an area that used to be AT&T. The Cingular website says the Treo650 is The first PDA device with EDGE high-speed data transmission.

It takes half a minute to load www.ebay.com page.

I have to browse with images disabled. Otherwise it takes too long to load.

Stan
    The www.ebay.com page is slightly larger than 275KB (lets say 300KB for easy math). For half a minute, 30 seconds, that means you are getting 10KB/sec. And that includes the 5-10 seconds that the browser takes to start the whole transaction.

I get similar speeds when I'm in a busy or low strength area, and somewhat better results in a faster area.
    Hey stop making me feel old.....my first on line communication were at 2400 baud !

Ya wanna take Wireless Broadband 101 ? Read this

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1771797,00.asp

For performance results, click link at top of this page:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1772935,00.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Hey stop making me feel old.....my first on line communication were at 2400 baud !
    Ohhhh... you got one of the new fancy fast modems! My first modem was acoustically coupled and 300 baud.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    Ohhhh... you got one of the new fancy fast modems! My first modem was acoustically coupled and 300 baud.
    Ahhh...you had one like in that movie War Games, where you set the handset on a matching pad. "Shall we play a game?"
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    Ahhh...you had one like in that movie War Games, where you set the handset on a matching pad. "Shall we play a game?"
    And what's wrong with that?!

You talk like you never stored programs on punched cards or paper tape? How about the wonderful joys of driving down the road, reaching for a cassette tape of heavy metal music, slapping it into the Realistic player... only to be greeted with the dulcet tones of the latest piect of PET-2001 code you were working on!!

Kids these days...
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    To test your speed, send your Web browser here:
    http://dslreports.com/mspeed
    Test with the 50KB or 100KB file. You should see between 50kbps to 150kbps for EDGE.
    If you're complaining about slow download speeds with your web browser, the problem is the web browser, not EDGE. The built in web browser (Blazer) is really low at rendering pages. Not only that but EDGE has a really high latency so as blazer goes to download each image, there's a delay before the image starts downloading.

I suggest downloading the Xiino web browser which uses server side compression/rendering of the page. It'll see a lot faster.
    http://www.mobirus.com/eng/products/Xiino/
    Xiino uses large fonts, so to get smaller fonts, you'll have to find a program called "Fonts4OS5" to make it use smaller fonts.
    You can also try Opera Mini http://mini.opera.com/ if you have Java installed on your Treo.
    Do not run the speed test with Xiino or Opera. Well you can, but the result won't be acurate because of the server side compression.

Lastly try using Google's web page compressor:
    http://google.com/gwt/n
    Use it with Blazer, it speeds up page loading a lot.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G