1.    #1  
    Driving me nuts! Reception sucks indoors, unless I'm very close to the edge of the building. I purchased the Treo 650 in March, 2006.

Located in Kingman, AZ. Cingular says it has a great network here. However, reception is very poor for me, especially indoors. Ironically, I also have a Nextel phone and it works very well around here, and Nextel will tell you they don't cover this area. So... WTF?

Anything I can do to improve the indoor reception on my 650?

thanks

Phil
    The lower the frequency, IIRC, the betetr the building penetration. So if ya using Cingular 850 ya better off than Cingular 1900....or competitors 1900

As for local reception while one can make overall generalizations, on teh ocal level, any are acan be a blind spot for a carrier. I gotte drive 1/2 mile for a verizon signal....miles for Sprint.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    At work and in other office buildings, even in the elevator here Great signal excellent reception, when I get home great signal, lousy (as in I can't use) reception,
    go figure!
    It's not the carrier, it's the building. As an example, let's use strands of copper. If you take tiny strands of copper and line a small room with them so that they are extremely close together, you can actually stop all RF transmissions from entering or leaving. Product testing departments for electronics manufacturers use these kind of rooms to indentify radiation leaks in their products. Back to the topic: It all depends on the building. I'm not sure exactly what in the building would cause it, but an example would be the wire mesh you find sometimes in the windows...

rebar in reinforced concrete block buildings cuts down RF... Like my work building! That's (ironically) one reason I switched from t-mobile to cingular.
    Rebar generally isn't a significant component in block buildings. Even in reinforced concrete the rebar will generally comprise maybe a 1/2" bar every 18 or 36 inches. A one story block building will generally have maybe one reinforcing bar sticking up 3' into the block every 36" on center....after that there's masonry reinforcing (skinnier than a wire coat hanger) layed horizontally between every other course.

But concrete also blocks signals, so does foil layered insulation and metal roofs which typically top those concrete buildings.
    Here outside Atlanta I use Cingular...and I work in a police radio room..shouldn't get anything. Get great reception...but my phone actually interferes with the police radio so it is a no-no!
  8.    #8  
    My choices are, to get Cingular to provide another phone or change carriers. Cingular sells phones here and their service sucks, not just indoors, either. But my problem seems to be worse than co-workers on Cingular using non-Treo phones.

My other phone is a Nextel, they don't sell phones here because they don't claim to have service here. However, my Nextel work freakin' EVERYWHERE indoors and outdoors. Go figure.

I spent almost an hour on the warranty line with Cingular, the best they could offer was "We're sorry for the inconvenience."

Quote Originally Posted by 2_meezers
    Here outside Atlanta I use Cingular...and I work in a police radio room..shouldn't get anything. Get great reception...but my phone actually interferes with the police radio so it is a no-no!
    If I place my phone just right, every couple of hours it will cause electrical noise sufficient to cause my APC UPS to shut off utility power and go onto battery backup for about 5 seconds. Granted I have the settings at max sensitivity but I was still surprised it could do that.
    What frequencies and at what power do these police radios operate at? I'm almost positive that the police radios operate outside of the overlap, and even if they didn't, the Treo isn't powerful enough to jam the signal. They don't even modulate the same way do they? I have doubts that the Treo is capable of significant interference with the radios. My guess is that they are just paranoid...

You could try the network select hack. When I was on Cingular with my 650 previously, I used this with varying degrees of success.

Download Website
    http://www.gadgetech.info/treo/hacks...download.shtml

Thread about it
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...5&page=1&pp=20
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Any kind of RF can get into the circuitry and cause interference or add noise. Ever used an AM radio near a computer? The situation is quite a bit different and more complex, but the Treo does have quite a bit of transmitting power.

Plus, just like in an airline, they'd likely prefer to remove/limit the possible interference before it is possibly an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    What frequencies and at what power do these police radios operate at? I'm almost positive that the police radios operate outside of the overlap, and even if they didn't, the Treo isn't powerful enough to jam the signal. They don't even modulate the same way do they? I have doubts that the Treo is capable of significant interference with the radios. My guess is that they are just paranoid...
    It doesn't really "jam" the radio...but you can hear some funny morse code sounding tones...and the officers can hear alot of feedback if I key the mike. Maybe because we still have an open boom mike radio system which should be replaced soon!
    Thanks for the clarification! I sometimes blur interference with signal jamming. When you jam signals your signal has to be modulated the same way and have more power.

I was actually not having too much trouble at my work, but this past week my Treo was going from 5 bars to 1 bar and back.

Which I check visually after I get interfernce in my speakers. So I switch to my iPod with headphones, nope comes across those too. My Treo can be on the opposite end of my desk and I can answer my work phone and hear it searching out a signal. Drives me nuts!

Like I was saying before this weekend happened to be one of the worst for poor irradict signal.

The thing I do when I can't take it anymore is put the Treo in front of my monitor and watch the monitor distort while the Treo goes searching.

lol. I can only hope Cingular was doing some cell tower work this past week and it will be better again next week.
    Cingular GSM Treo 650, Apple PowerBook G4, iQue 3600, iPod Photo 60GB
    PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Palm M505 > Garmin iQue 3600 > Treo 650

Seek first to understand, then to be Understood
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I have T-Mobile and an outside office but the signal stinks! I usually end up with about 50% battery at the end of the day during the week but on the weekends I'll end with closer to 75%. I get a very good signal at home.

Does anyone know of a small "repeater" type antenna that could be affixed to the window? I know there are repeater antennas out there but most require maunting on the roof or the side of the building which I obviously cannot do at the office.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    TxDot - Check out the Wilson antennas. You could get an antenna there that plugs into your treo. Mount the antenna on the window (where you would get your best reception) and run the wire to your antenna jack on the treo.

Just to comment on the phone reception - the treo's phone sucks so any attenuation of signal from the building will have a pretty large effect on the treo's reception. Use the manual network selection hack and try to pick up a GSM 850 rather than 1900 as JackNaylor commented on above. The lower frequencies do penetrate the building better. Since I've moved over to the Cingular 8125 and have a Motorola RAZR, I've realized how bad the treo's phone is. Cingular coverage is great in my area - I always thought it was just O.K. before with the Treo. I hope the next GSM Treo has a better phone.
    I have the same problem and I really believe its the phone. My wife has Cingular as well and some tiny little Sony phone - I think its Sony. She can get 4-5 bars all over the house. Anywhere I go, its 1 bar or SOS Only service. Drives me up a friggin wall with this phone.

About ready to switch to Verizon with their 299 deal on the 700 as their network is much better in this area.