Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I'm using a Treo 650 on T-Mobile with unlimited data, but I'll be moving soon to an area where I may have to switch to Cingular for its coverage. I can't find this info by searching TC--what's the difference between Cingular's Data Connect & Smartphone Connect? (I mean, besides one being $45/mo and the other $20/mo.) If I get a family plan, will the $20 Smartphone Connect give me everything I'm getting from T-Mobile's unlimited data plan on my 650?
    Smartphone connect is a relatively new plan (I think). It was designed specifically for the Cingular 8125, but it is possible to use it with the Treo AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $I$ $believe$ $it$ $resembles$ $the$ $MEdiaNet$ $plan$, $in$ $that$ $it$ $is$ $a$ $NATed$ $address$ $which$ $disallows$ $PPTP$ $passthrough$. $As$ $for$ $the$ $other$ $plan$, $I$ $think$ $you$ $mean$ $PDA$ $Connect$? $That$ $plan$ $dynamically$ $assigns$ $an$ $address$ $which$ $is$ $connected$ $directly$ $to$ $the$ $world$, $which$ $means$ $they$ $cannot$ $block$ $any$ $ports$. $This$ $plan$ $also$ $permits$ $the$ $use$ $of$ $dial$ $up$ $networking$. $While$ $DUN$ $is$ $usable$ $on$ $both$ $plans$, $it$ $is$ $only$ $legal$ $in$ $the$ $PDA$ $Connect$ $plan$. $I$'$m$ $not$ $sure$ $if$ $T$-$Mobile$ $did$ $this$, $but$ $some$ $carriers$ $allow$ $you$ $to$ $share$ $your$ $unlimited$ $data$ $with$ $all$ $the$ $phones$ $on$ $your$ $plan$, $Cingular$ $only$ $allows$ $one$ $phone$ $per$ $data$ $plan$. $There$ $have$ $been$ $plenty$ $of$ $threads$ $on$ $topic$...

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Thanks for replying. When I type in my prospective zip code (18229), the data options are Data Connect and SmartPhone Connect; there's nothing about PDA Connect or MEdiaNet. Does anyone know if they've been recently renamed? That would explain why I couldn't find anything on TC by searching for "data connect" "smartphone connect".

Here are Cingular's descriptions, which aren't quite enough to answer my questions:

Data Connect
    Access your e-mail, corporate intranet, and the Internet while on the go by wirelessly connecting your PDA to the Internet. Requires usage with a Cingular Wireless PDA.
    Data Connect Unlimited $44.99

SmartPhone Connect

With SmartPhone Connect, you can browse the internet from your wireless Smartphone handset. And now, Xpress Mail is included with SmartPhone Connect Unlimited at no extra charge.
    SmartPhone Connect Unlimited w/Xpress Mail $19.99

If anyone can help me figure which of these will work on my 650 like my T-Mo service does now, I'd appreciate it. For $20, I have unlimited data, but only for one of the phones on my family plan. I do occasionally use PDANet.
    I guess PDA Connect was renamed to Data Connect, because they appear to be identical. Smartphone connect was designed for the 8125, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work on the Treo. MEdiaNet is not mentioned because technically Treo users are not allowed to have it. I believe there is something called a MEdiaMax package which includes unlimited data and some number of SMS for $19.99 a month. You can add it through your Cingular online account manager or lucking out with a nice CSR. I am currently using the Unlimited MEdiaNet plan which is an older plan which, at the same price as the MEdiaMax plan, does not include SMS, I will have to call them to cancel the unlimited MEdiaNet (as removing options cannot be done online) and have to add the MEdiaMax feature.

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emen8
    Thanks for replying. When I type in my prospective zip code (18229), the data options are Data Connect and SmartPhone Connect; there's nothing about PDA Connect or MEdiaNet. Does anyone know if they've been recently renamed? That would explain why I couldn't find anything on TC by searching for "data connect" "smartphone connect".

Here are Cingular's descriptions, which aren't quite enough to answer my questions:

Data Connect
    Access your e-mail, corporate intranet, and the Internet while on the go by wirelessly connecting your PDA to the Internet. Requires usage with a Cingular Wireless PDA.
    Data Connect Unlimited $44.99

SmartPhone Connect

With SmartPhone Connect, you can browse the internet from your wireless Smartphone handset. And now, Xpress Mail is included with SmartPhone Connect Unlimited at no extra charge.
    SmartPhone Connect Unlimited w/Xpress Mail $19.99

If anyone can help me figure which of these will work on my 650 like my T-Mo service does now, I'd appreciate it. For $20, I have unlimited data, but only for one of the phones on my family plan. I do occasionally use PDANet.
    If you click on data plan, you see what you see, however, you can still enroll the MediaMax by click on this link https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Excellent! So if I sign a new 2-year contract and get one of the basic phones that's compatible with MediaNet, I can tell Cingular that's what I'm using, but really use it with my 650, right? Will I be able to use PDANet?

Thanks for all the advice. I'd been worrying that I'll be spending a fortune on data if I have to switch to Cingular, but it looks like it won't be an issue.
    Yes you will be able to use PDANet, but please don't use it as a replacement ISP. First of all, Cingular can deny you service if they find out, people have reported that after using PDANet for a lot of data transfer, Cingular moved them to pay per use without telling them and sent them bill for $700+. Secondly, it just causes the price for everyone else to go up...

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to get a pay-as-you-go SIM card to try out in my new neighborhood next weekend. Assuming I get a good Cingular signal in all the important places, I'll be looking to sign on to a plan.

My hope is to do this: sign up for a 1- or 2-year plan with one of their free basic MediaNet-capable phones, and add on the unlimited MediaNet. After a short time, I'll want to get a 650 for my wife for $200, so I'll upgrade to a family plan. My wife doesn't use the Internet (she uses a 270 for its PDA features), but would like the 650. Her 650 will be used as a phone, PDA and for text messaging. I'll use my existing 650 with MediaNet because I use VersaMail to check my POP3 mail frequently, and for light to moderate Web browsing. I VERY rarely use PDANet, so I don't think I'd be "taking advantage" or abusing MediaNet. The reason I'm doing the contract in two steps is that I don't think they'd believe I'm getting MediaNet for MY new phone and not for my wife's new Treo.

Does this sound reasonable? If anyone has a better suggestion, I'd really appreciate it.

TIA
    When I was with Cingular with a 650, I spoke to several reps who knew I was on the unlimited medianet with a Treo and they did not care.

However, keep in mind that the medianet is not shared across both phones. You would have to purchase it for each one if you wanted it on both. Since it is not shared across both lines, they would have no reason that your medianet is going to be used on your wife's line that does not have medianet enabled.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Excellent! So if I sign a new 2-year contract and get one of the basic phones that's compatible with MediaNet, I can tell Cingular that's what I'm using, but really use it with my 650, right? Will I be able to use PDANet?

Thanks for all the advice. I'd been worrying that I'll be spending a fortune on data if I have to switch to Cingular, but it looks like it won't be an issue.
    No need to get a new phone unless someone you know needs one. Just tell them you are thinking of switching from from T-Mobile to Cingular, tell them youy want 450 phone minutes or whatever and MediaMax200 (200 text messages) and tell them to make an offer. Don't feel shy about mentioning that if you were buying a new phone they'd be giving you a $200 rebate so that you are expectinga deal.

On the other hand, maybe you wanna hold off a bit, pass that 650 over to ya wife in about 6 weeks and get the new Treo Nitro. Well that's my prediction on the relese date.....within 45 days of September 25.
    Smartphone connect is not for the 8125. 8125 is also a PDA and gets the "Data connect" for $40. Data connnect is $45, but you get a $5 discount when it's added on to any voice plan, hence $40.
    The smartphone connect is for the 2125 smart phone (a smart phone that's not a PDA.)
    It's terribly confusing, I know.
    Just get MediaMax, I've used it (or a version of it) for over 2 years and yes you can use PDANet.
    You don't have to get a new phone. Just tell them you bought a RAZR from costco or Ebay (unlocked) and you want to use it with that. They may ask for the IMEI, just say you don't have the phone with you and you'll call back and do it some other time (they don't need it.)
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    This may seem like a dopey question, but bear with me.

I just bought a $59.00 Go Phone with "web browsing" capability. I signed up for the 200 minute voice plan with "Pick your plan" for about $29.00/month.

I also signed up for MediaMax 200 at the same time for that phone/plan.

I immediately swapped my SIM card to a used Wizard/8125/Pocket PC Phone PDA that I bought, and have been using it ever since. (About a week or so.)

My data usage is pretty high, and I'm not using my 8125 as a modem, but simply using it for Push Email, web browsing, and data downloads for weather apps, and RSS feeds.

How likely is it that Cingular will hammer me for a mega overrage bill--since I'm not really using a smartphone with a smartphone plan?

In reading various threads, it sounds like they are doing just that to some people, and that they apparently are able to track data usage fairly well.

Thanks for any guidance.
    Actually they are not hammering people, not that I've seen. I have seen people get hammered because thier account had "internet pay per use" provisioned on the account in addtion to media net (or media max.) So when they went to 'tether' they unknowingly used the internet pay per use instead of the media net. There's a right way and a wrong way to tether (use as modem) to use your media net unlimited.
    Pay per use "PPU" should have been removed from their accounts when the media net/mediamax was added to prevent this. And in those cases that I've seen, after they got Cingular to refund the billing error, removing internet pay per use 'fixed' the problem.

What you're refering to is the same thing as what a lot of people do with their Treo. Instead of the $40 PDA plan, they get the $20 Media max.
    As long as your 8125 is set to use "WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM" with access point "wap.cingular" you are in fact using the media max unlimited data.
    If it's set to ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS or ISP@CINGULARGPRS (isp.cingular) then stop now. That setting uses the data connect which you do not have unlimited data for.
    What you want is:
    User: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1
    Access point: wap.cingular

You absolutely should not be charged a penny more, or it should be considered a billing error. The wost that should happen is that they'd 'catch' you and take away the media max plan. But I have never heard of this happening to anyone.

I would say don't worry about it. Do as you're doing. They don't track your data usage closely. Once you get your first bill and you're not charged extra, then you'll know everything is fine. Otherwise if you're concerned, back off until you have the first bill.
    Last edited by taylorh; 08/07/2006 at 11:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I went to my local wireless store to get a Cingular SIM so I could see how consistent the signal would be. I was planning on trying it for just a few weeks, then signing up for a contract. But the store would charge $35 for the SIM card, and no minutes would be included!

Does the GoPhone use the exact same Cingular network as having a SIM card in my GSM phone? I don't really want to buy a Go Phone if I don't have to, though. Can anyone think of another way to try out Cingular service before committing? Right now, I'm thinking that I'll sign up for a contract if I get some period of time to cancel. I'll be in PA--does the cancellation period vary by state?
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh

What you're refering to is the same thing as what a lot of people do with their Treo. Instead of the $40 PDA plan, they get the $20 Media max.
    As long as your 8125 is set to use "WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM" with access point "wap.cingular" you are in fact using the media max unlimited data.
    If it's set to ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS or ISP@CINGULARGPRS (isp.cingular) then stop now. That setting uses the data connect which you do not have unlimited data for.
    What you want is:
    User: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1
    Access point: wap.cingular

You absolutely should not be charged a penny more, or it should be considered a billing error. The wost that should happen is that they'd 'catch' you and take away the media max plan. But I have never heard of this happening to anyone.

I would say don't worry about it. Do as you're doing. They don't track your data usage closely. Once you get your first bill and you're not charged extra, then you'll know everything is fine. Otherwise if you're concerned, back off until you have the first bill.
    Thanks alot! I needed to choose the setting you show above--rather than auto-select between that and a second cellular option. I'm new to the GPRS thing, so I'm trying to avoid making any stupid (and expensive) mistakes.
    I went to my local wireless store to get a Cingular SIM so I could see how consistent the signal would be. I was planning on trying it for just a few weeks, then signing up for a contract. But the store would charge $35 for the SIM card, and no minutes would be included!

Does the GoPhone use the exact same Cingular network as having a SIM card in my GSM phone? I don't really want to buy a Go Phone if I don't have to, though. Can anyone think of another way to try out Cingular service before committing? Right now, I'm thinking that I'll sign up for a contract if I get some period of time to cancel. I'll be in PA--does the cancellation period vary by state?
    The cancellation period is 30 days if you do a contract. As long as you return the phone, there's no charge except for the $36?? activation fee.
    Cancel within 3 days and you actually are supposed to get the activation fee back apparently.
    Here's the policy: http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/cel...turnpolicy.jsp

Also if you want to try before you buy but want to keep your number from another carrier, then just sign up with a new number (rather than 'porting' at the sign up.) If you decide to stay, then later you can call Cingular and have them port your old number over to the new line (and just give up the new number you go when signing up.) That way you don't have to port back to the other carrier if it doesn't work out. I think you have to do this within 30 or 60 days or they'll charge you to move your number over.

The gophone idea is actually still not a bad one. You can get a go phone for as little as $30 and it comes with a SIM. It's silly that they want to charge you $35 for a GoPhon SIM (without a phone) when you can buy a GoPhone with a SIM for $30.
    T-Mobile does this same crap. I got a pre-paid SIM only from them and paid $50 for a SIM+$15 in minutes when I could have just bought a phone for $60 and it would have include $20 of min. Then I would have had an extra phone to use with the SIM.
    I keep a T-Mobile prepaid SIM active 'just in case' I have T-Mobile coverage where there isn't Cingular.

The network is the same, but with the prepaid but you won't be able to roam on partner networks the way a post-paid national plan will. You'll be restricted to Cingular's native network. That's why when you compare the pre-paid and post-paid maps, they look different. The normal national plan map shows partner coverage as part of Cingular's 'all over' network. As you might have gathered, roaming on partner networks is not uncommon. But this should be sufficient to determine if you have good service on Cingular because where you are probably won't depend on partner coverage.

So if you buy a GoPhone for $30 with the pre-paid service, you spend $30-$50 on the phone and minutes. Then when you sign up for a contract you still have to pay the $35 activation fee.
    But if you just sign up and cancel within 30 days, you wouldn't have spent the extra $50, but you'd still be out the $35 if you canceled.

The only benefit to trying them out with pre-paid vs. signing up is that you can do the Pre-Paid test for as long as you want, 30 days or more.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Thanks very much for all the info. I should know within a couple of days if the Cingular coverage will meet my needs, so I'll probably head over to a Cingular store and ask for their best deal on a family plan plus MediaNet on one of the lines, and a Treo 650 for my wife.
    So I was curious, does Cingular's Smartphone Connect Data plan connect to wap.cingular.com OR isp.cingular.com?

Thanks!
    Based on the price, wap.cingular.com

I have a question for those using PDANet and Cingular. I currently have the PdaNet Modem set up on a computer that then shares the connection accross a network so my Tivos can download their program data (I can't get normal broadband where I live). To do this required using the Advanced tap on the PdaNet software and getting a modem setting that would not go away on the computer end when you pressed disconnect on the Treo end. As far as I can tell, all the settings are identical to the default settings except that the "Share internet connection" box is checked on the one that stays. When I click connect on the Treo I get the PdaNet validation window and then the Windows network window pops up and says Dialing and registering etc.. I don't remember it doing this before, mainly the "Dialing" part.

It has a phone number entered (as did the default settings) as: *99***1#

From what I've read this is a number that means its using GPRS, but I've also read that you need to use wap.cingular for data connection settings.

Is it actually making the Treo dial that number (thereby using minutes and pay per use data at the same time) or is it just the code that tells the Treo to use GPRS data?

Am I just thinking too much or am I doing something wrong? Everything works great and I get speeds arround 110-140kbps so its definately using EDGE, I just want to make sure that all the PdaNet data is coming out of the same unlimited data usage that the Treo normally uses on its own.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast