Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Dont' worry about it, you'll be able to get away with it. Thay may force you on to a PDA plan some day in the future when they finally figure out how to enforce this, but for now you'll be fine.
    I was just looking at my cingular account and the features (I have media max 200) and I noticed that they have smartphone connect listed as a feature. I dont' recall seeing this there before - there was data connect, but nothing about the smartphone connect.

Is this new, or was I simply missing it before? Have other people had the option of adding that as a feature?

Chris
    You're right. It dindn't used to be there but I did notice they added it about 30 to 40 days ago. Around the same time they added the Media Max packages with unlimited M2M messaging.
    You're certainly welcome to get that one if you think you're less likely to be noticed. Not bad idea really. (plausible deniability)
    TaylorH is correct. Do not waste your money on the smartphone connect plan. I have been on the regular data plan for years now with no problem whatsoever. Believe me, I do streaming, push email via exchange and all sorts of other things on my phone.

I've even read a post where the employees themselves felt bad about having to sign people up for the smartphone connect plan because they know it's almost identical to the regular data connect plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    There is also "Media Max" which is the unlimited version of Media Net.
    Smartphone Connect is, in fact, identical to Media Max. The only difference is the name, and Media Max comes with 200 sms/mms messages which smartphone does not.
    Additionally Media Net (limited plans) are merely limited versions of media max.
    All of the above are 100% identical in terms of using the internet.

The proxy isn't a problem. The use of the proxy is optional. In your connection settings you just add the proxy: wireless.cingular.com on Port 80 or 8080, and you can now access the media net site at http://device.home/
    But you absolutely do not have to use the proxy to access the internet. In fact I'd leave it disabled UNLESS you want to access Cingular's media net site (the only reason.)

Theses plans require you to use the wap.cingular access point only. But understand that even the PDA plan ($40 unlimited) also uses this same wap.cingular acccess point. But PDA connect DOES alllow you to use the second access point isp.cingular

The difference between (default) wap.cingular and isp.cingular is really just wap.cingular=NAT, isp.cingular=Not NAT (real IP address.)
    PPTP VPN is the only limitation I've ever heard on wap.cingular. it's a limitation of some NAT routers, not an intentional blocking of ports or anything.

I attempt to explain all of this here:
    http://www.gadgetech.info/wireless/cingular/data/
    Not the best written web site, but I created this page because I end up answering this question a lot.

So the short answer is no. You won't be limited to anything at all on Media Max or Smartphone connect. And it's even identical to the connection you'd use by default on PDA connect.

The Cingular Proxy WILL not allow you to do streaming video. But do not configure the proxy, and you can do anything you want (except PPTP VPN). Also you can't run any kind of peer to peer (which you won't) because it does have a firewall.

Push fully works on wap.cingular. There is 1 exception. (on PalmOS) Chatteremail's exchange server plugin doesn't. But IMAP IDLE push, MS direct Push, goodlink, xpress mail, etc. all work fine.
    Performance is actually a little better on wap.cingular than isp.cingular these days. However they are supposed to (and generally) do perform the same.
    Thanks for the great explanation here and on your GadgeTech site. One question for clarification if you will...I have a Cing. Treo 750 and the MediaMax plan, thus use the wap.cingular as my access point. Since it's a NAT address, in theory, could there be too many users accessing the access point for it to work? Reason I ask is I am having intermentant times when ActiveSync does not work. In working with my IT department & MS, they have determined in reviewing our server logs that when it does not work, a request is not hitting the server for information, thus they believe it's a Cingular issue. So that's the reason for my question - could wap.cingular be full at times and not allow my Treo access to the internet to get the updates from my server?

Thanks for any thoughts you have!
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    Thanks so much for everyone's help. I'm also using a new Treo 680 on the Media Max plan.

I've noticed that on many sites I try to visit, I'm still getting the "WAP" site, instead of the regular one. (Such as, ironically, palm.com). Is there something that I need to change to tell my browser to act as a "regular" browser, instead of a wap browser?

additionally, do I want to do that? I feel like i'm getting a slower experience because of the wap component, but that might just be because i have nothing to compare it to.

All help welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by richtack View Post
    Thanks so much for everyone's help. I'm also using a new Treo 680 on the Media Max plan.

I've noticed that on many sites I try to visit, I'm still getting the "WAP" site, instead of the regular one. (Such as, ironically, palm.com). Is there something that I need to change to tell my browser to act as a "regular" browser, instead of a wap browser?

additionally, do I want to do that? I feel like i'm getting a slower experience because of the wap component, but that might just be because i have nothing to compare it to.

All help welcome!
    That has nothing to do with the data plan. If you're searching from Google to find websites, then yes, it does some Mobile-izing to the webpages. If you go directly to http://palm.com it would not, unless Palm has a mobile website. I've never tried Palm.com.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123