Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Take a deep breath and relax

It's using GPRS.

Just wondering, what part of PA are you interested in coverage information for Cingular? I live in Central PA (Altoona, State College area) and I work and travel over a fairly large area. I have been using Cingulars GSM network (formally AT&T Wireless) in this area for the last 3 years I can answer al lot of coverage questions off of the top of my head. As a general statement coverage is good but there are areas that have no coverage at all from anybody. Let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    What you're refering to is the same thing as what a lot of people do with their Treo. Instead of the $40 PDA plan, they get the $20 Media max.
    As long as your 8125 is set to use "WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM" with access point "wap.cingular" you are in fact using the media max unlimited data.
    If it's set to ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS or ISP@CINGULARGPRS (isp.cingular) then stop now. That setting uses the data connect which you do not have unlimited data for.
    What you want is:
    User: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1
    Access point: wap.cingular

You absolutely should not be charged a penny more, or it should be considered a billing error. The wost that should happen is that they'd 'catch' you and take away the media max plan. But I have never heard of this happening to anyone.

I would say don't worry about it. Do as you're doing. They don't track your data usage closely. Once you get your first bill and you're not charged extra, then you'll know everything is fine. Otherwise if you're concerned, back off until you have the first bill.
    I have the MediaNet unlimited data plan at $19.95 a month and then added text messaging for another $9.95. My problem is that I can no longer connect with PDANet on my laptop when I have to travel (1 or 2 days a month and just pulling email). It always worked fine with my Sprint phone before I switched to Cingular and it worked at first with Cingular (the did put my on the $40 PDA Connect plan and then I switched it to unlimited MediaNet).

I've followed the above instructions and I still can't connect. Is there something that I am missing or do I have to break down and pay Cingular $40 a month for a service I rarely need. At that price, you are almost better to use one of their Edge cards for the laptop.
    No, you must be doing something else wrong.. DUN works fine from the MEdia Net packages.

Might look on the net on how to set up DUN on the Treo 650 and follow them, perhaps something got misconfigured.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    No, you must be doing something else wrong.. DUN works fine from the MEdia Net packages.

Might look on the net on how to set up DUN on the Treo 650 and follow them, perhaps something got misconfigured.
    Is using PDANet with a tethered USB cord (due to Windows 200) the same thing as DUN? I've not changed anything on my phone or software, it just doesn't want to connect now.

I was going to try and do DUN via bluetooth when I get a new laptop but that might be on down the road.
    Ah, not sure about PDANet but I suspect it's basically the same on the carrier side. DUN can be done over the USB cable too, I think, but not sure there.

Might re-do your PDANet setup if you haven't.
    This is very strange. I am posting to see if anybody else reading these threads has any experience like this.

I received my 9/19 bill and on the top of the first page it says that I will be charged $0.01 per kilobyte of data usage starting 9/1/06!! I have been using the PDS39 service (PDA Connect for $39.95 per month) for over 18 months now. How can they tell me about a switch in terms 25 days after the fact ?

If the messsage on the bill is true, my bill will be much much much higher than before. (I use a tremendous amount of data)

Does anybody else know anything about this development?

The bill mentioned that it could not charge before due to a "system issue".
    Quote Originally Posted by ghiscott View Post
    This is very strange. I am posting to see if anybody else reading these threads has any experience like this.

I received my 9/19 bill and on the top of the first page it says that I will be charged $0.01 per kilobyte of data usage starting 9/1/06!! I have been using the PDS39 service (PDA Connect for $39.95 per month) for over 18 months now. How can they tell me about a switch in terms 25 days after the fact ?

If the messsage on the bill is true, my bill will be much much much higher than before. (I use a tremendous amount of data)

Does anybody else know anything about this development?

The bill mentioned that it could not charge before due to a "system issue".
    It says you may not have been charged for data usage up til now, and if so, you will be charged as of 9/1. It suggests you get an unlimited data plan to avoid further charges.

I know it's not very clear, but the bottom line is that there was a billing system problem that if you removed"Pay per use data" from your account as well as removed any data plans, you could get unlimited data for free. Basically the system didn't know how to bill you. The fixed the glitch and it went in to effect 9/1.

You have an unlimited data plan, you still do, and that message is not directed to you as you were not getting data for free. You were charged for data ($40/month.) All cingular customers got that message on the bill.

Don't worry. The message's intent is to encourage you to get a data plan.

I explained this to someone on howard forums, if you want to take a look at the post. If you ever saw the movie "Office Space" then you'll get a little laugh out of this post. I couldn't resist
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...3&#post7925173
    Here's that message you seeon the bill by the way:
    Messaging and Data Rate Charges begin 9/1/2006

Effective September 1, 2006 you will begin to see usage charges
    for your data services. Cingular standard data charges are as
    follows: $.10 per Text/Instant message, $.25 per Picture/Video
    message and $.01 per KB usage. Previously, you may not have
    been billed for these data charges due to a system issue. Visit
    www.cingular.com/medianow or call 1 (888) 867-4308
    for more information on saving money with a Media Bundle.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Ah. So. Cingular sent the same message to all the customers despite their current plans! I suppose customizing the bill depending on the data plan subscribed to would have required additional programming effort.

Thanks. You are correct in your statement about the message not being very clear.
    Yeah, I think the most confusing thing about that message is "Effective September 1, 2006 you will begin to see usage charges for your data services."
    It says "... You will begin..." not "You may." And it also doesn't say WHO will see these charges. Just that YOU and WILL.
    It also doesn't say that you will not if you already have an unlimited data plan and it doesn't say that there are no changes to the billing. It should just say that previously unboiled data and messaging charges will start being billed as a result of fixing an billing system error, and leave it at that. And to avoid charges get an unlimited media or data plan.

I think whoever wrote that message had a chip on their shoulder and didn't consider and didn't think it through.
    It's rather confrontational.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    THANKS to everyone (especially shadowmite) for all the good advice for getting DUN working with Cingular and MAC. I'm up and running and it's great. It's so amazing that this actually works. Sure it's not the fastest thing available but its so damn cheap who can complain?!

Thanks again,
    J
    Will this medianet trick work for other pda's besides the treo?
    Hi all! Newbie here...

Just to clarify on the posts about Cingular's "smart phone connect" and Media Max 200:

Can I buy ANY cingular phone with a GSM chip and get Media Max 200? (Then switch that SIM into by Treo for unlimited data at $20? ) If so, will it provide 3G speeds? Or, if I buy a 3G SIM, (say, from EBay)and put it in ANY cheap Cingular GSM phone BEFORE activating the phone, will I then have 3G speeds on that phone? THEN switch the SIM to the TREO?

I'm so confused...besides being cheap! Basically, I do not want to have to buy a 3G cell phone-like the RAZR or U500 just to be able to get the $19.99 unlimited data plan to then later just use in on the TREO. It seems that it would then take about a year to recoup the extra amt paid for the 3G phone just to be able to save $25 a month. (difference btwn by paying $20 with Smartphone Connect or MEdia Net Max 200 and the PDA Connect Plan)

One more question...Because I will be managing a website, someone suggested that I request a dedicated (something-or other) than a "shared" so that nothing gets blocked. Can anyone explain this to me? THANKS!
    EMyers, Yes, you can buy any Cingular phone (that qualifies for Media Max) and simply use your SIM in a Treo and get away with it. Many have done this for years.
    Or, should you buy a Treo from Cingular and them sign you up for PDA Connect ($40), simply log in to your account at cingular.com and change your data plan to Media Max under the "Add/remove features" link.
    You can do this, it works. At least for now it does. You don't even need to keep the PDA plan a whole day.

So it's your choice how you want to go about it.
    When I initially signed up I got a flip phone because I already had an unlocked Treo 650. They "thought" I was using that flip phone for years.
    Now I've bought a Treo 750, they know I have it, but I still just use Media Max.

If they do enforce plans, they'll do so from the IMEI number a Treo sends to the network when you're using it. So regardless of what phone they think you're using (or last purchased) they could tell what you're actually using.

I don't know when/if they'll enforce this, but so far haven't over the last several years. But you'll certainly be able to do it for a while.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    i hate to have to make anyone repeat themselves but since plans seem to be changing so fast i'm having similar problems.

I am on Tmobile and have a HTC TyTN. I'd like to switch to Cingular since I'm in a UMTS market.

I am looking at purchasing the Cingular 3125 with the unlimited SmartPhone connect plan (which I believe uses their wap proxy). Their MediaNet package is also an option though I'm a bit more worried about getting hammered for overusage compared to the SmartPhone plan.

My monthly usage is roughly 200/250MB. I use push mail to grab mail from work. I also have a POP account configured.

My question is as to whether this is possible, if using the proxy will prevent some features, and if performance suffers as opposed to using their PDA Connect Plan. I already know that VPN functionnality is not possible with any other plans than the PDA Connect.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Last edited by samw5; 03/27/2007 at 12:40 PM.
    There is also "Media Max" which is the unlimited version of Media Net.
    Smartphone Connect is, in fact, identical to Media Max. The only difference is the name, and Media Max comes with 200 sms/mms messages which smartphone does not.
    Additionally Media Net (limited plans) are merely limited versions of media max.
    All of the above are 100% identical in terms of using the internet.

The proxy isn't a problem. The use of the proxy is optional. In your connection settings you just add the proxy: wireless.cingular.com on Port 80 or 8080, and you can now access the media net site at http://device.home/
    But you absolutely do not have to use the proxy to access the internet. In fact I'd leave it disabled UNLESS you want to access Cingular's media net site (the only reason.)

Theses plans require you to use the wap.cingular access point only. But understand that even the PDA plan ($40 unlimited) also uses this same wap.cingular acccess point. But PDA connect DOES alllow you to use the second access point isp.cingular

The difference between (default) wap.cingular and isp.cingular is really just wap.cingular=NAT, isp.cingular=Not NAT (real IP address.)
    PPTP VPN is the only limitation I've ever heard on wap.cingular. it's a limitation of some NAT routers, not an intentional blocking of ports or anything.

I attempt to explain all of this here:
    http://www.gadgetech.info/wireless/cingular/data/
    Not the best written web site, but I created this page because I end up answering this question a lot.

So the short answer is no. You won't be limited to anything at all on Media Max or Smartphone connect. And it's even identical to the connection you'd use by default on PDA connect.

The Cingular Proxy WILL not allow you to do streaming video. But do not configure the proxy, and you can do anything you want (except PPTP VPN). Also you can't run any kind of peer to peer (which you won't) because it does have a firewall.

Push fully works on wap.cingular. There is 1 exception. (on PalmOS) Chatteremail's exchange server plugin doesn't. But IMAP IDLE push, MS direct Push, goodlink, xpress mail, etc. all work fine.
    Performance is actually a little better on wap.cingular than isp.cingular these days. However they are supposed to (and generally) do perform the same.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    thanks for the reply!!!

I just gotta figure out how to get the Media Max 200 plan with a Cingular 3125 (or maybe I should look at another phone).

I'm also a bit worried of getting hammered for usage... I don't think 200-300MB/month is too much but again, probably slightly off what you won't expect from a phone only access. (unless SP)
    How to get it is not hard....
    Get the 3125 and smartphone connect or without data at all.
    Then log in to your account at cingular.com
    Click on "manage features" (or add/remove features)
    Select 'remove' smartphone connect and 'add' Media Max 200.
    Done. The change is immediate.

You don't have to keep smartphone connect for any length of time.
    If you have a separate text and smartphone connect. Then you'll have to remove both, click "next" and finish removing them completely. Then go back and add Media Max to your account (that no longer has any text or data packages.) The system just doesn't like to convert from separate text / data packages to one bundle
    See this screen shot:
    http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/3495/featuresqm8.gif
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    In my case, when I ordered my two 680's at the 75 fee they offered a while back, I told them I already had unlimited data but my wife didn't, so they didn't touch my account at all and just changed hers to PDA connect. I waited a day then removed PDA Connect and when I tried to add Media Basics (she doesn't use data much) it barfed.

So if it fails to add (as it did for me for some reason), just do the "chat with a reprenative online" thing.. I could get work done while I waited on them to do stuff rather than sitting around on the phone, and they didn't ask me any questions. All seemed rather canned actually, but it worked out well for me.

Only problem is it seems they charged us about $20 for having PDA Connect for two days, but I figured I better not press the issue as they might decide she needs to stay on PDA connect period.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Sweet! Thanks a bunch for the help, you guys rock!

One last question and I promise I will let it go.

Can I change data features regardless of the phone I order? I could get the Blackjack for free from Amazon but I'm a bit scared to get in trouble if I was to remove the PDA connect plan and add the Media Max package instead. What about phones that don't support the Media Max plan (such as the Sony W810i)...

Thanks again a million for all the replies, very helpful!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast