Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For months I was charged $150 a month for my phone bill. I'm told my data usage charge was around $20 a month. All of the sudden in February my bill spiked to $728.29 a month. !!!!!!!!!!

I didn't catch this because I had the feature that automatically charges to your credit card. So this weekend I am going through a mountain of old mail and I see that they have charged me this outrageous sum for three months!

I called and spoke with a manager and I might as well have been talking to my desk, or a piece of lint on the carpet, or a bucket of crap...all of which has the same IQ as this manager. I showed him on my past bills where the data usage charge was low and I was only getting charged extra for text messages. And then all of the sudden my internet usage magically jumps in February? To which he responded that he wasn't with me and couldn't tell how I used the phone. He basically said I was lying to him about the fact that I have been using the phone the same way since I signed up with Cingular last summer.

Man, I'm like at the mercy of these bastards. Does anyone have any helpful advice to offer?
    Just get it elevated to a higher authority. Then dispute the charge with your credit card company.

I have to ask this: how does a $600 increase in your monthly bill go unnoticed on your credit card statement when you cut them their check?
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bocraw
    For months I was charged $150 a month for my phone bill. I'm told my data usage charge was around $20 a month. All of the sudden in February my bill spiked to $728.29 a month. !!!!!!!!!!

I didn't catch this because I had the feature that automatically charges to your credit card. So this weekend I am going through a mountain of old mail and I see that they have charged me this outrageous sum for three months!

I called and spoke with a manager and I might as well have been talking to my desk, or a piece of lint on the carpet, or a bucket of crap...all of which has the same IQ as this manager. I showed him on my past bills where the data usage charge was low and I was only getting charged extra for text messages. And then all of the sudden my internet usage magically jumps in February? To which he responded that he wasn't with me and couldn't tell how I used the phone. He basically said I was lying to him about the fact that I have been using the phone the same way since I signed up with Cingular last summer.

Man, I'm like at the mercy of these bastards. Does anyone have any helpful advice to offer?
    Feels good doesn't it? Try to expalin to them that your Treo is faulty and is not disconnecting from the internet. Nicely though. Second why do you have a treo w/out an unlimited data plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Second why do you have a treo w/out an unlimited data plan?
    Forgot about that. I didn't think anyone had a metered plan any more...
    Have you made any changes to your plan in the past few months?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Thats why I don't have them take money automatically out of any credit card or debit account.
    at&t iPhone3G
  7.    #7  
    I could try to make an excuse for not noticing the increase, but it would only make me look as dumb as I already feel.

According to Cingular I was on the 5MB data plan. That is bunk though. I was originally on the 5MB plan the first month I had the phone. I then called and changed to a different program. media net maybe? At that point my bill revealed zero data usage every month. Zero.

Knowing this isn't right, i called Cingular and questioned someone about it. She basically told me that she wasn't sure what was going on, but if I wasn't being over-charged don't worry about it. (The manager claims this phone call never happened). My attitutude was "why fix what isn't broken"?

Indeed when you look at my statements for 10 months, it shows my data usage as zero. Then all of the sudden BAM!, it goes through the roof.

Like I say, according to Cingular I didn't send a single email or view a single webpage for those ten months. Then all of the sudden I magically master data usage over night and go hawg wild for three months. It's bunk.

I just pled my case to yet another manager and you know what I got? $150 credit on my bill. How kind of them.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    Have you made any changes to your plan in the past few months?
    I have made no changes in my plan.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    So.. you are upset that you were getting something free that others are paying $20-$40 per month for and they caught the error?

I can understand being upset about the change and disputing it, but don't be surprised if you need to purchase an unlimited data plan.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner
    So.. you are upset that you were getting something free that others are paying $20-$40 per month for and they caught the error?

I can understand being upset about the change and disputing it, but don't be surprised if you need to purchase an unlimited data plan.
    There is a devil's advocate in every group. I've paid $20 a month for the service. I called a year ago and asked if there was a way to see the details of my itemized usage and would have been glad to pay more. I just started with the lowest one to get a feel for how much data I would use in a month.

But I agree with you... I offered to pay the extra money for unlimited usage going all the way back to when I started the plan in May, `05. The remaining $1,500 they should refund to me. Or at least give me credit.
    I've paid $20 a month for the service.
    Dude, you didn't even fully understand what plan you where on or how much data you were using. Even worse, you didn't even track the monthly costs. I see it as you fault not Cingular's. Get onto an unlimited plan ASAP.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    bocraw,

this is ridiculous. Man, I cannot imagine the frustration of what you must be experiencing.

There seems to be a situation where the Treo will stay connected when a data session is established unless you force disconnect. I use ZLauncher, and when the icon shows a data connection - I usually kill it.

Do you have your email setup to auto retrieve at certain intervals? Do you have any 3rd party programs which are running tasks like active sync?

Whatever the case may be, you can only continue to elevate the problem until you reach a customer care representative who can assist you with your problem. Try loggin onto your account and see if you can pull your past bill history prior to calling. Have your facts straight about the plan you were on, what dates you made changes, and your consistent data usage under those plans.

Good luck - I hope you get some postive results.

Finally, if you are planning on using data - make sure you make the switch to an unlimited plan.

Dim-Ize
    While I understand your frustration, I can't say that I sympathize for someone who does not check how much money someone is taking from them, and when asked to summarize his activity cannot be sure about what plan he actually has. I'm thinking that's how Cingular will see it too, good luck. My suggestion is that you talk calmly with a representative on the phone and try to be understanding about it. No one wants to help out someone who is yelling at them. Again, good luck, I hope you get this sorted out, that's a lot of money which they should not have charged you...

Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize
    There seems to be a situation where the Treo will stay connected when a data session is established unless you force disconnect. I use ZLauncher, and when the icon shows a data connection - I usually kill it.
    Unless you're using CSD, which I highly doubt, being connected to a data session does not USE any data, at least not in any significant amount.

However, if it's staying on data and won't stay disconnected, something is using the data and he needs to figure out what it is.

IM and Email programs are two which routinely keep the phone on the data connection, there might be others as well which actively (in the background) maintain a data connection.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    There is a devil's advocate in every group. I've paid $20 a month for the service. I called a year ago and asked if there was a way to see the details of my itemized usage and would have been glad to pay more. I just started with the lowest one to get a feel for how much data I would use in a month.

But I agree with you... I offered to pay the extra money for unlimited usage going all the way back to when I started the plan in May, `05. The remaining $1,500 they should refund to me. Or at least give me credit.
    Fair enough. Good luck getting the credit, most ppl have been able to when they get some crazy data charges. Then switch to unlimited data ASAP.
  16.    #16  
    For the record, the first things I did was change to an unlimited plan. Once they refused to budge I also removed myself from autopay and switched back to paper billing.

Jesus man, surely I am not explaining this correctly. I signed up for the 5 MB plan because I had no idea how much data I would actually use, and you can always upgrade but not downgrade as it was explained to me. My bill comes and it does not itemize my data usage. It says that I use NOT ONE KILOBYTE data per month. I call Cingular to ask how I can view the details of my data usage and she tells me not to worry about it if I am not being charged. This continues for 10 months and then all of the sudden they start tracking it. You can see this clearly when you compare my old statements to my new statements. I mean, had they been able to itemize my data usage when I originally had the phone, it would have been a no-brainer to get the unlimited plan.

So yes, I should have checked my statements more closely and caught this immediately. My mistake. That is still no excuse for them raping me like this.

What I can't get over is the fact that when I view the old bills with the reps they insists that the only explaination for it showing no data usage is that I didn't use any data. I ask them, "Are you saying that I didn't send a single email or view a single web page?". And they basically say that I must not have because if I did it would be on my bill.

I just need to figure out a way to get a smart enough person on the phone to help me out. My wife is less rough around the edges and I'll get her to call today and see if she can get better results. I was very polite until the manager guy, named Michael Pitts, basically said that I was lying and didn't use the data part of the phone for the first 10 months. That is when I told him that he is such a blithering ***** that he couldnt' get a job at the DMV. That was a bad move as I am certain there are all kinds of nasty notes associated with my file now.

It has been so long it is hard to remember the details, but I thought I remembered that when Cingular first came out with the 650, users on this board had trouble finding a data plan. If memory serves, they had a plan for cell phones (media net?), and they had a plan for laptops that was very expensive, but they really didn't have a plan designed for PDAs like they do now. Am I making that up or do I remember that being discussed here? I'm a little surprised this hasn't happened to someone else.
    bocraw,

If it comes down to small claims court, subpeona (sp?) the notes from Cingular. Disparaging comments in computer records go a long way in winning a case

just a thought...
    Treo 700P (& GoodLink Administrator)
    Simpsonized
    That's like "if a drunk driver hits you, you can sue!.. provided he doesn't kill you?"

So do you think Cingular is back-charging you for previously used data? Have you been using >5M the last few months where they were charging you? Did you assume that since they weren't itemizing data that you could use unlimited amounts? I don't think you've said all that.

I'm surprized you haven't gotten anyone who is willing to help you, or work it out. You might talk to the retention department, sometimes they have more ability to help people.

If you were using 100M a month for the last year, and they JUST started billing you for the other 95M, I think the best you can hope for is that they switch you to unlimited and work out a deal.
    Have you disputed it with your credit card company? As others have suggested, get on an unlimited plan ASAP! ( I think you have already done this from a previous post ) It seems from an earlier post that maybe they think you are now tethering your Treo to a PC as a modem. I know they charge more for that and I assume based on the level of Internet usage they can tell if this is the case. ( Not sure on that though )
    Sorry, but 700 is nothing compared to the 6000 that was on my bill when Cingular swapped my plan on me. However, after I came off the floor, I called CNG and spoke to a great rep. I think, because I was laughing about the charge, she dealt with me in a better manner than if I'd been overly upset.

The rep looked at my past history, instantly said that it must be their mistake. She worked the issue without much more input from me. I received calls from her at each stage of the change process until it was passed off to Accounting.

Even after the passoff, Cingular was great. The new rep was just as nice as the first and did a great job. When I got my Amex the next month, both the charge and the credit were there and I haven't had a problem since.

Lesson learned... keep a sense of humor in the face of disaster.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast