Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Here is the latest...my wife called and spent over two hours on the phone with them. Cingular's latest is excuse is that because I accepted the $150 credit my case is closed. (Eventhough I repeatedly said I'd take what I could get, but I'm not quitting until I get all my over charges back).

I have been pondering what caused the sudden spike in charges. And this morning it came to me that the increased charges magically occurred at the same time I upgraded to 1.17 CNG.

My attorney has advised me to send a letter to them detailing my side of the case so that I can prove that I made every effort to handle this out of court. If anyone has had similar problems with Cingular that suddenly occurred after the 1.17 update I would like to hear about it. NRG and Nachtswerg, did your overcharges suddenly appear after the 1.17 update?
    Last edited by bocraw; 07/12/2006 at 09:59 AM.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bocraw
    Here is the latest...my wife called and spend over two hours on the phone with them. Cingular's latest is excuse is that because I accepted the $150 credit my case is closed. (Eventhough I repeatedly said I'd take what I could get, but I'm not quitting until I get all my over charges back).

I have been pondering what caused the sudden spike in charges. And this morning it came to me that the increased charges magically occurred at the same time I upgraded to 1.17 CNG.

My attorney has advised me to send a letter to them detailing my side of the case so that I can prove that I made every effort to handle this out of court. If anyone has had similar problems with Cingular that suddenly occurred after the 1.17 update I would like to hear about it. NRG and Nachtswerg, did your overcharges suddenly appear after the 1.17 update?
    Well it looks like they are attempting to bend you over the barrel.

I myself have never had overages, I have been on an unlimited paln w/ Sprint since 2001. But, I think you have got a pretty soild correlater with the update. You might want to try that angle.

How did the whole accepting $150, become case closed?
  3.    #23  
    You've got me NRG. This just keeps getting more bizarre.

The weird thing is that, like Nachtswerg, when I originally called the CSR I talked to was going to fix the problem and retroactively upgrade me to the unlimited plan. But his manager (the enfamous Michael the blithering ***** Pitts) refused to do it for whatever reason. It has been going downhill ever since...
    Generally when you accept a credit offer, things are final. When they offer $150.00 credit, it is assumed that you accept that in finality.

For what it's worth, I've had overages one time with cingular. Before calling them and yelling, I got all my ducks in a row and determined what the problem was by looking at the on line account manager and found that I had PPU (pay per use) and medianet on my account at the same time. I called CS, calmly explained the situation and they removed the charges (which were several hundred dollars) and fixed the account.

I guess we all should take this as a lesson - check your bill monthly, immediately dispute any discrepancies and be nice to CS - they are you best friend when you need something fixed.

I'm sorry to hear of anyone having trouble like this. I'm glad that the OP posted it here so we could learn from it.

Steve
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    You've got me NRG. This just keeps getting more bizarre.

The weird thing is that, like Nachtswerg, when I originally called the CSR I talked to was going to fix the problem and retroactively upgrade me to the unlimited plan. But his manager (the enfamous Michael the blithering ***** Pitts) refused to do it for whatever reason. It has been going downhill ever since...
    How willing are you cancel service? Call back and be very nice, level headed even if they call you data using *****. Ask to talk to retentions. Say something to the effect of you are wondering if they can help you straighten your bill out. If no progress is made try the old you are "eyeing the 700P" on Sprint, and their data rates being less. Only If things don't seem to be moving your direction.

But, please wait, till someone else can chime in on my advice here. Let's make sure you get the best advice/intel before we send you off to war.
    No. My charge change happened a couple of months after doing the upgrade. I'm not sure if they're tied together. Truthfully, they shouldn't be, since billing shouldn't be impacted by hardware.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg
    No. My charge change happened a couple of months after doing the upgrade. I'm not sure if they're tied together. Truthfully, they shouldn't be, since billing shouldn't be impacted by hardware.
    But, if the hardware would be connected to the internet longer than....?
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by eflightcentral
    Generally when you accept a credit offer, things are final. When they offer $150.00 credit, it is assumed that you accept that in finality.

For what it's worth, I've had overages one time with cingular. Before calling them and yelling, I got all my ducks in a row and determined what the problem was by looking at the on line account manager and found that I had PPU (pay per use) and medianet on my account at the same time. I called CS, calmly explained the situation and they removed the charges (which were several hundred dollars) and fixed the account.

I guess we all should take this as a lesson - check your bill monthly, immediately dispute any discrepancies and be nice to CS - they are you best friend when you need something fixed.

I'm sorry to hear of anyone having trouble like this. I'm glad that the OP posted it here so we could learn from it.

Steve
    You guys are assuming that I immediately called and flew off the handle. I'm smart enough to know that yelling at some low-level CSR serves no purpose. When I called I had a great conversation with the CSR and we agreed on a resolution. It was when his manager refused to approve the resolution that things started going down hill. It was only after he basically called me a liar that I retorted with the "you couldn't get a job at the DMV" comment.

I talked to an attorney and he suggested I send a letter in case things don't work out. He felt confident that American Express would handle it for me though. My wife finally did get through to an intelligent person, so I'm optomistic today. I feel better having vented in the letter too. Here it is:

http://www.tmtanglers.com/misc/cingular_letter.doc
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg
    That is just my theory. I'm grasping at straws here. Cingular could have changed anything and some CSR person would never know about it.

All I know is that prior to 1/12/06: pdanet + 5 mb plan = $19.99 data charges.

After 1/12/06: pdanet + 5 mb plan = $728 data charges.

I don't think my phone didn't disconnect. I just think that I hate the internet police at work, so I do a lot of surfing on my personal computer using pda net. All that adds up to a big surprise when I reviewed my bill last weekend. The bad thing is we finally pitched in and made a hot-spot. So I haven't really used pdanet since April.
    I don't think my phone didn't disconnect. I just think that I hate the internet police at work, so I do a lot of surfing on my personal computer using pda net. All that adds up to a big surprise when I reviewed my bill last weekend. The bad thing is we finally pitched in and made a hot-spot. So I haven't really used pdanet since April.
    IE, you got caught.....
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    IE, you got caught.....
    Are you not supposed to use pda net with cingular? This may be a case of I knew enough to be dangerous...
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Are you not supposed to use pda net with cingular? This may be a case of I knew enough to be dangerous...
    "I don't think my phone didn't disconnect. I just think that I hate the internet police at work, so I do a lot of surfing on my personal computer using pda net." ~ bocraw

That right there is your problem.
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    You might have a few more bills like that coming.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Using a pda as a modem goes against the acceptable use of your data plan. They (all carriers) have found a way to figure out when you do this and will charge you per kB unless you pay for an extra tethering or "phone as modem" plan.
  15.    #35  
    You see what happens when you give technology to the masses? It's chaos man! I'm telling you.

I've never heard of this before. I could swear that when I bought my Treo the user manual had a section on using your phone as a modem for your computer. It also came with a card saying that this feature wasn't active yet. Why would they put that in there if none of the carriers would allow it?

I guess maybe I did get busted doing something wrong that I didn't know was wrong. Oh well, all they had to say was "please stop doing that", or "there is an extra fee for that". Bending me over without vasoline was quite unnecessary.

NRG, hopefully I will not have any more bills coming because I haven't used pda net since I moved my office in April.

This is all very interesting...once I got the kinks out of my phone I kind of checked out from reading this message board for a while. I assume this was discussed in detail between last summer and now and I just missed it.
    no no no NO!! This has nothing to do with PDA on MEdia net. It's a simple matter of overusing data on a limited plan.

He's said multiple times he has a 5M plan ($20, that would be the now old MEdia Net 5m which had 200 SMS and some number of MMS, and of course 5M of data), has always had a 5M plan... He's assumably updated now, but during this billing period where he got "overbilled" he was on a 5M plan.... Tethering to his laptop and browsing the net.

1 single forum with emoticons, avatars, banners, etc, might be 1meg.. Browsing with images and multimedia stuff that's all over the net these days uses a lot of data.

Somehow they weren't charging you for the overage at first, now they are. I don't see how this is Cingular's fault the way you've described it already.
    You signed the dotted line when they presented these terms to you. They make you sign the terms under the understanding that you actually read them. In your letter you have a screenshot of your itemized web usage. It looks like on average you used at least 2MB a day, with a 6MB peak and a 500KB low, I don't understand how you could not notice that you were using more than 5MB, even if it wasn't on your bill. As far as using PDAnet, carriers do allow it, Cingular calls it PDA Connect, it's a $40(?) a month plan. I agree with khaytsus, basically, you got caught. IMHO, given the facts presented in this thread and your letter, the only thing Cingular has done wrong is to be rude. And given the insults you have traded with their representatives, perhaps even their behavior is justified.

18.    #38  
    Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. For whatever it is worth even my fishing buddy seems to think I don't have a leg to stand on with Cingular. I'm a Libertarian (with a capital "L") and a free-marketeer. In thirty five years I've never disputed a credit card charge or contacted an attorney about the possiblity of taking a company to court. But I think these charges are so outrageous that I'll go all the way to the mat with Cingular eventhough $1,500 isn't worth the time it will take to do it. I think it will be a slam dunk case too. (Hopefully it won't come to that...I will try NRG's retention suggestion first)

But only time will tell.
    Something similar happened to me a few years back with Cingular. I cancled two lines and they forgot remove the lines from my account. I used the autopay for the bill and didn't discover until 6 months later and was overchaged 400+ dollars.

Cingular agreeed the error was on their part but would not "refund" the money as they had no way to issue a check. I asked the person how they were getting a paycheck? There were willing to issue a credit to my account, which I felt was unacceptable. So I filed a complaint with the State Utilities Commission and FCC to get this resolved and I cancled my service and they sent me a check a few months later.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    But, if the hardware would be connected to the internet longer than....?
    The increase in net usage actually came into play when I bought PDANet. I'm doing 3-4 hour connect sessions sometimes. Actually, I've been known to be connected for 12+ hours between my client site and the hotel in a day.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast