1.    #1  
    I just got a letter requesting me to come exchange my sim card but only for my treo not my 3 other phones . Hmmmm. Any Insights or Ideas?I see some of you prefer the old 32s
    Last edited by byronchurch; 07/10/2006 at 06:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    i got the same letter last week and made the change. i see a noticable improvement.
    morris stalk
    Is that the Gemplus 64k chip? Who's your carrier?

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    it is a cingular 64k smartchip
    morris stalk
    Morrie, what was the improvement that you noticed?

I just got the letter and I am trying to decide if I should change.

I do remember all the 64k chip issues a while ago. I think there were two type of sim cards Cingular were issuing and one had a problem. Which was the bad one and which was the good one? And are they easily to identify?
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    one side says :
    3Gc
    64205G

the other side says:
    64K smartchip
    cingular

i immediately noticed that i was getting a constant 4 bars in my condo rather then the 1-2 bars on my 32k chip. i used to get3- 4 bars on this chip and about 2 months ago i noticed the drop in performance. my neighbor just got a letter from cingular and a voice mail telling him to immediately switch chips. my internet connection is about 20% quicker. cingular says to immediately make the change to take advantage of their improved services.
    morris stalk
    I was using a 32k chip in both my Treo 650 and Cingular-branded Nokia 8290, switching it back and forth depending on how big/expensive an item I wanted to carry. Cingular mailed me a new SIM a few months back. When I upgraded to the new SIM, it bricked my 8290 which doesn't recognize a 64k SIM. No noticeable change in coverage in the Treo. Interesting way for Cingular to obsolete their old hardware. Now I need to buy another small cheap GSM phone to carry jogging or to the beach, etc.