1.    #1  
    Hey there, so I've been searching around the site and see hints here or there, but not really understanding the fundamentals of upgrading - I was hoping someone could let me know what the options are for an unlocked but cingular branded treo 650?

I saw someone post they they may have successfully upgraded, but another said it wouldn't work, etc... Any help or pointers is greatly appreciated.
    When you upgrade, the update program looks at the existing software to see if it is the right updater. This means if you have a Cingular version of software, you will only be able to use Cingular updates. There was a point where you could use the unbranded firmware on a branded Treo due to a glitch in the updater, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $this$ $glitch$ $no$ $longer$ $exists$. $Look$ $at$ $your$ $software$ $revision$, $if$ $it$ $says$ $CNG$ $or$ $CNB$ $then$ $you$ $use$ $the$ $Cingular$ $updater$, $if$ $it$ $says$ $ROW$ $then$ $you$ $use$ $unbranded$ $updater$.

3.    #3  
    Ok, thanks a lot! sadly, it seems I must be on the Cingular track.
    If you want to do this you will need to do it via a Custom ROM. There is a lot if info on how to do it but in short if you download a custom ROM and run it from SD it will change the firmware, software level & tokens. The CNG token will be replaced with ENA and then you can rerun the updater if you want or just run a trimmed down version.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS