1.    #1  
    I just got a bill with $97 of international calls on my T-Mobile account.

Yes, I made them.

Is there a better, cheaper way to make international calls? I mean that better than doubled my monthly bill right there.
    Try Tel 3 Advantage.
    If you mean you want to reduce your costs when traveling out of the country the following would apply: If your 650 is unlocked you can buy sim cards for each country you visit. They can be bought here or in country. The effect is that people will have to call you using an overseas number for you, but your calling costs are greatly reduced both for incountry calls and international calls.
    $97...I wish mine were that though. I got one for over $500 from T-Mo.

T-Mo failed to mention to me when I activated International roaming that I would be charged for ANY call that attempts to reach me while in Europe. So I had hundreds of inbound calls from people in the US and despite the fact that I do NOT answer the calls and they did NOT leave a voice mail, I was charged $.99 per attempted inbound call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    I just got a bill with $97 of international calls on my T-Mobile account.

Yes, I made them.

Is there a better, cheaper way to make international calls? I mean that better than doubled my monthly bill right there.
    You may want to try changing the countries you call and/or getting a timer.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  6.    #6  
    Yeah, these are outbound calls, and yeah, they are for business. So I kinda gotta call the people I want to talk to where they are, and when they're awake.

The solutions are (1) live with it; (2) tie myself up in Skype knots maybe if I can figure out how to do it; (3) calling card; (4) whine and do nothing

I pick number 4.
    I bought a SIM card from united-mobile.com. They give you a phone number in Liechtenstien(sic?) and most inbound calls are free. The outbound rates are around $.50-$.65 cents per minute from what I can tell...depending on where are and where you are calling.

We'll see how this goes on my trip next week to Europe. I like having a single number that people can reach me on while I travel. The rates are better than T-Mo's outbound rates but I hate not having data. In the end, I figured I would just have to hold off on data until I get to the hotel.
    I've tried Onesuite, Tel3Advantage, and Pincity. I prefer Onesuite. You top up your account online and then dial one of their local or 800 numbers. You can register your phone number so it doesn't require you to enter your PIN. And you can setup speed dials for your frequently dialed numbers. Costs me about $0.02/min to call many parts of Asia.

Some people swear by Gorilla Mobile. I haven't tried it so I won't comment.
    Onesuite sounds similar to Tel3Advantage. What made you choose Onesuite over Tel3?
    Quote Originally Posted by hdtv4me
    I bought a SIM card from united-mobile.com. They give you a phone number in Liechtenstien(sic?) and most inbound calls are free. The outbound rates are around $.50-$.65 cents per minute from what I can tell...depending on where are and where you are calling.

We'll see how this goes on my trip next week to Europe. I like having a single number that people can reach me on while I travel. The rates are better than T-Mo's outbound rates but I hate not having data. In the end, I figured I would just have to hold off on data until I get to the hotel.
    I thought I should report back about the United Mobile SIM card - in short, don't bother. If you only need outbound calls at $.50 cents per minute from any country then this may work for you. My big gripe is that I have only had two people able to reach my United Mobile number while I have been traveling throughout Europe this past week. My wife has called from both our landlines and her cell to no avail. My friend in the UK was able to reach me once, but the next day he called and could not reach me. I have written United Mobile and called them (which they charge you ofr) and their service is friggin abysmal.

I'll probably just start buying SIM cards wherever I go. Problem is when I go to Europe and tend to hit 4-6 countries in a matter of a week or so. I really need on number for calls to reach me on - I know I could leave the new number at each stop on my US cell phone vmail, but I think that once someone writes down the new number they may not check my vmail again and realize the next day I have a new number.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the update.

I read a post on buzzmachine.com a while back. He has a Sprint Treo 650. He put his Sprint number to forward to his Skype number then went to Yerp and had a cheapie GSM phone with a local SIM chip. He set his Skype account to forward to his cheapie UK phone. If you're expecting a bunch of calls from home this might be interesting.

Warning. I don't speak Skype so don't quote me on the technical details here.
    I know some folks who get a local pre-paid SIM card when overseas. Most major airports have them in vending machines right in the terminals. Forget the international roaming, just send a text to those who need your number. Just be aware that you need to have an unlocked phone to do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz
    I've tried Onesuite, Tel3Advantage, and Pincity. I prefer Onesuite. You top up your account online and then dial one of their local or 800 numbers. You can register your phone number so it doesn't require you to enter your PIN. And you can setup speed dials for your frequently dialed numbers. Costs me about $0.02/min to call many parts of Asia.

Some people swear by Gorilla Mobile. I haven't tried it so I won't comment.
    Onesuite seems to have very good rates, I think I will give them a try. Thanks!