Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is from the thread over at Howard Forums:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...8402&p=7278913
    I just wanted to spread the news over here.

It looks like the most recent expected arrival of the new Media Max plans is June 18th.

In addition to Cingular's current MEdia and messaging offerings:
    MediaMax 200 - $19.99 w/ 200 Messages (Txt and MMS) and Unlimited MediaNet
    MediaMax 1000 - $29.99 w/ 1000 Messages (Txt and MMS) and Unlimited MediaNet
    Media Basic will be $9.99 and Media Works will be $14.99
    3000 Txt for $19.99 (Text only, no data on this one.)

These aren't exactly all that exciting. For example Media Max 1000 for $30 is really no different than having Media Net Unlimited for $20 + 1000 Txt for $10. But it does roll it in to one package and includes MMS which is nice.

What's more exciting is that for $20 you get 200 messages included with unlimited media net. That's a nice little imrovement for those who's only do a moderate amount of texting.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    media max 1000 here i come. i like how they arent seperating SMS and MMS now, i dont send too too many MMS, but it will be nice for it to jus be another "message"
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    I wonder how these medianet packages will transfer over if/when cingular transitions to HSPDA/UMTS?? Will the unlimited data plan grandfather you over like the vision/evdo??
  4.    #4  
    The Media Net plans already include UMTS/HSDPA. From what I understand the Media Max plans were designed to coincide with the launch of UMTS phones (for the phones.) So it'll be just like GPRS was to EDGE, and now UMTS and HSDPA, it's all the same data rate, you just use the fastest one your equipment allows.
    If you bought a UMTS phone or HSDPA laptop card right now (and they're available) you'd get Media Net unlimited ($20) for the phone, and data connect ($60) for the laptop card. The exact same plan you'd buy for an EDGE phone or an EDGE laptop card.
    Of course we'll see what they do to HSDPA PDAs when they come out. Will it still be $40 for the PDA plan? Will we still be able to get away with Media Net on the PDAs? (Maybe that's what you meant)

Also, I'm also glad they bundled MMS and SMS into just "messaging." T-Mobile did this a while ago and I think it's a great move. I hope the info is correct and it is as we think it is.
    It'll save me $5 a month I think.. Although I'll go from 1000 SMS to 200 SMS, I'll have to ponder on that one... Guess I'll see when it's really available. Considering I've heard the number of SMS in the package change three times now.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh

It looks like the most recent expected arrival of the new Media Max plans is June 18th.

These aren't exactly all that exciting. For example Media Max 1000 for $30 is really no different than having Media Net Unlimited for $20 + 1000 Txt for $10. But it does roll it in to one package and includes MMS which is nice.

What's more exciting is that for $20 you get 200 messages included with unlimited media net. That's a nice little imrovement for those who's only do a moderate amount of texting.
    thanks for the info!
    Can I safely assume, though, that these plans still block access to the isp.cingular APN, and therefore PPTP VPN connections won't work through them? The only reason I pay $40 for the PDA Connect Unlimited plan instead of $20 for the Media Net Unlimited plan is that PPTP VPN block on the wap.cingular APN. Grr...

Edit: For a good quick overview on Cingular's different APNs, see this earlier post by taylorh.
    Last edited by cshbell; 06/02/2006 at 01:57 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cshbell
    Can I safely assume, though, that these plans still block access to the isp.cingular APN, and therefore PPTP VPN connections won't work through them? The only reason I pay $40 for the PDA Connect Unlimited plan instead of $20 for the Media Net Unlimited plan is that PPTP VPN block on the wap.cingular APN. Grr...

Edit: For a good quick overview on Cingular's different APNs, see this earlier post by taylorh.
    I really should post that info (wap. vs isp.) once and for all on my web site. I think the only reason I haven't is because it could potentially open a can of worms (legally with Cingular) if I wasn't careful how things are worded.
    Anyway, thanks for posting that link for all.

While I have *0* evidence either way, I would assume that it is wap.cingular only. I believe Media Max is merely a 'bundle' of a "MEdia Net Unlimited" data plan with a Text & MMS messaging plan just like the current media works plans are now. Therefore it's still just MEdia Net.
    The second reason is that I also assume, because of the pricing, that Media Max is once again intended only for "Phones" and not for PDAs or laptops. Phones don't use VPN, therefore there is no reason to include access.
    isp.cingular is specifically for VPN usage on laptops and was apparently included in PDA plans because some people use VPN on their PDA.

Oh yeah. And on the HoFo thread another person has posted that an in-store rep confirmed the 6/18 date from an internal store memo.
    So I'm optomistic.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    OK, I'm paying for the PDA Connect plan on my Treo 650 with Cingular, but I noticed that it's connecting to the wap APN. I don't do VPN, shell access, or anything weird like that, but I do use the free CingularXpressMail (PE) for accessing my work e-mail (running a client on my desktop, we don't have a dedicated server for it). Can I change over to MediaNet and save a bundle? It won't affect web browsing (including https) nor the free CingularXpressMail PE?
    Quote Originally Posted by esperantisto
    ...I don't do VPN, shell access, or anything weird like that, ....Can I change over to MediaNet and save a bundle?
    Yes.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I really should post that info (wap. vs isp.) once and for all on my web site.
    What web site is that? URL please ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by esperantisto
    OK, I'm paying for the PDA Connect plan on my Treo 650 with Cingular, but I noticed that it's connecting to the wap APN. I don't do VPN, shell access, or anything weird like that, but I do use the free CingularXpressMail (PE) for accessing my work e-mail (running a client on my desktop, we don't have a dedicated server for it). Can I change over to MediaNet and save a bundle? It won't affect web browsing (including https) nor the free CingularXpressMail PE?
    Yes, (as Aprasad said) if you switch to MEdia Net absolutely nothing will change for you. Anything you can do now you'll still be able to do on Media Net since you'll still be using the exact same wap.cingular connection access point ("APN".)
    I also use XPress Mail PE with the Media Net Unlimited plan.

Aprasad, the url is http://www.gadgetech.info/ . It's where I host the Treo (600/650) 'select network hack' (URL is in my sig.)
    I put it up with the intent of puting info such as this as well as anything else nerdy that I felt compelled to share. But as you'll see I still haven't put jack on there except for the hack.
    It's amazing how much time and work it takes to post a page decently. Perhaps this is just the motivation I need to "get around to it."
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer

I just looked on the Cingular site, and I didn't see anything about this. Unless I overlooked it....

edit- found it. thanks.
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    just talked to customer service and got the mediamax 200 plan! yay for saving $5!
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by babydol
    I just looked on the Cingular site, and I didn't see anything about this. Unless I overlooked it....

edit- found it. thanks.
    Look at the post I posted before yours.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  17.    #17  
    Talk about messed up. This plan is hard to find. It depends which way you try to get to the link.
    If you go to the Media Net page and pick bundles, only the media works bundles are there. But if you go through "media & services" then pick packages, Media Max is there.
    Are they trying to make this as intentionally confusing as possible?
    Thanks for the link, though, I don't think I'd have found it otherwise.
    Wait, the same MediaNet which doesn't allow PPTP passthrough? Why should I be excited again?

Is Media Max "officially" available for Treo's?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Is Media Max "officially" available for Treo's?

Well MediaNet has never been legal for Treos in the first place. This makes me think that the Media Max offer is not for Treos either. I would imagine the only way to get this plan is through the web interface.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast