Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    Well MediaNet has never been legal for Treos in the first place. This makes me think that the Media Max offer is not for Treos either. I would imagine the only way to get this plan is through the web interface.
    not neccesarily lol. I called up Customer Service and just asked to remove my media net and text messaging plans and to get the media max plan. But then again, according to my account I also have a Sony Ericsson phone...gotta love sim cards lol.
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Well MediaNet has never been legal for Treos in the first place. This makes me think that the Media Max offer is not for Treos either. I would imagine the only way to get this plan is through the web interface.
    "MediaWorks" _was_ officially offered for Treos for a short period of time. If you are lucky enough to have gotten on the plan then, you have been grandfathered in since then. It basically provided a similar service:

MediaNet Unlimited Data
    1500 Text Messages (wow... have to text alot for that!)
    So are people just making 1 call to cancel the old medianet and adding the new mediamax??
    That's how it *should* work..

I tried the webpage the other night and got a 'sorry we could not process' type message.. I'll be making the call myself once I remember to do it.. I get to work and get lost in stuff to do, and unless I call in the mornings it takes forever to get in.
    I am staying with my old grandfathered MediaNet. Unlimited internet, 1000 text and 200 MMS for $19.99.

Although I just got a $279 excess charge on my last bill for data overages. Called Cingular CS and they admitted it was their stuff up and reversed the charges.
    Of course, why would you NOT stay with the old plan..
    If by "not legal" you mean that many Cingular CSR's think a Treo is "like a BB", then yes it's not legal. But if you politely explain to them that a Treo doesn't necessarily need VPN (tho you may need one to access corporate e-mail servers) they will agree with you that it is perfectly fine and "legal" to have MediaNet / MediaMax.

I had MediaNet turned on (4 times ... it would last about a week and stop connecting in the first month...web site said I had it but it wasn't working and had to call to have them "bump" something...last tech guy found the problem...system had me on both MediaNet and pay as you go...luckily no charges were kicking in) and the switch to MediaMax done via telephone with a CSR with nary a complaint.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Just got off the phone Cingular -- they claimed to be unable to give me back my old plan: mediaworks ($19.99/unlimited/1500), but offered me the MediaMax plan ($19.99/unlimited/200). Not as good, but pretty close, so I chose to take it rather than fight.

And, they refunded $700 of charges.
    Wait, so they took away your old plan? Why? Had you canceled it or something?

No, they can't give that plan out, but they can't take it away either. If they just took it away for no reason, fight them on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xochi
    Just got off the phone Cingular -- they claimed to be unable to give me back my old plan: mediaworks ($19.99/unlimited/1500), but offered me the MediaMax plan ($19.99/unlimited/200). Not as good, but pretty close, so I chose to take it rather than fight.

And, they refunded $700 of charges.
    Same thing happened to me. They told me that I went to a retail store an changed it to a 5mb plan

I told them that I wanted it to go back to my original Media Works. I got a call two days later from CS confirming that the old plan was back in place and the overages had been reversed.

Oh, and I didn't tell them I had a Treo.
    Actually, I was on a call with customer service getting my Treo unlocked, and I had them change my old MediaNet Unlimited plan to the new MediaMax for the same $19.99, saving me $5 for the messaging. They didn't seem to care that I have a Treo.
    Just called Cingular CS and switched from the unlimited PDA connect to the MediaMax 200 with no problem.
    I just upgraded our cell phone, been with this Cingular plan for about 2 years now and became eligible for a phone upgrade so why not!

The hidden problem: They tacked on this MEDIA MAX 200 BUNDLE without my knowledge or permission. That was a $19.99/mo increase in our monthly bill.
    I didn't ask for it, I wasn't informed of it, I don't want it!

Consumer be ware! I received no paper work when I did the phone upgrade so this was a complete surprise. Don't trust the ATT/Cingular representative, read everything closely and check out what the rep is doing. I feel this was a "real slight of hand" and I'm not happy about it!

This is my first month after renewing, I plan on visiting the local office 1st thing tomorrow to get this straightened out. This, in my opinion, is just plain dirty!

The good news: You can logon your ATT/Cingular account and remove this option if you wish. Select "add/manage features" Go to https://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/welcome
    to manage your service.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    This is from the thread over at Howard Forums:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...8402&p=7278913
    I just wanted to spread the news over here.

It looks like the most recent expected arrival of the new Media Max plans is June 18th.

In addition to Cingular's current MEdia and messaging offerings:
    MediaMax 200 - $19.99 w/ 200 Messages (Txt and MMS) and Unlimited MediaNet
    MediaMax 1000 - $29.99 w/ 1000 Messages (Txt and MMS) and Unlimited MediaNet
    Media Basic will be $9.99 and Media Works will be $14.99
    3000 Txt for $19.99 (Text only, no data on this one.)

These aren't exactly all that exciting. For example Media Max 1000 for $30 is really no different than having Media Net Unlimited for $20 + 1000 Txt for $10. But it does roll it in to one package and includes MMS which is nice.

What's more exciting is that for $20 you get 200 messages included with unlimited media net. That's a nice little imrovement for those who's only do a moderate amount of texting.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcyn10 View Post
    The hidden problem: They tacked on this MEDIA MAX 200 BUNDLE without my knowledge or permission. That was a $19.99/mo increase in our monthly bill. I didn't ask for it, I wasn't informed of it, I don't want it!\
    Sounds like a minor issue. It's a very simple thing to go on their web site, go to "my account" and uncheck the service you don't want. If you want to pursue a refund, a phone call will do the trick.

Unless however you went for one of those big discounts on the phone purchase. If one bothers to read the ads, it's quite evident what is required to take advantage of the price discounts. Of course they are not really discounts but subsidies. The "hook" is the big discount....the "catch" is that you end up paying the same amount or more over time. Want that $250 off the new internet capable phone ? well the asterisk next to the price and the print at the bottom of the add says that getting the discount requires that you subscribe to the internet service at $19.95 a month or roughly $480 over two years.

Today, you basically wind up with internet service for the term of the contract for about half price and they are betting after 24 months of use that you will find it compelling enough to keep.

My son bought the iPhone with the big discount, it's costing him $30 a month for taking that subsidy....$9.95 for voice service and $19.95 a month for the MediaMax equivalent. When I bought my Treo, I bought it brick and mortar and was therefore able to avoid the MediaMAX commitment that was otherwise req'd for all online purchases as well as a 1 year contract commitment. Nowadays however, that same brick and mortar store requires 2 years....not sure if it's a industry wide thing or if it just has to do with the fact that after 20 years, the store stopped selling Sprint and Verizon phones and is simply towing the AT&T line.

In short:

-If it was charged by mistake, have it removed....I have had things pop up once or twice on my bill in the last 23 years and a phone call resolved it with no charges and no hassle.
    -If it's part of you getting the purchase subsidy, well then ya stuck with three choices ..... pay the bills, give the phone back or give the subsidy back.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12