Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    I've read here in lots of threads that MEdia Net works just fine with the Treo, and that there's no real penalty for switching from PDA Connect ($40/month) to MEdia Net ($20/month).

So today I added MEdia net using Cingular's web site.

But then I found out there is no way to delete features on the web, and so I had to go to a store to take PDA Connect off my account.

The rep at the store did it, but with a warning: according to him, it's possible I will be hit with pay-per-use data charges because MEdia Net is not "compatible" with the Treo. Further, there's no way to tell if that is happening until I receive my next bill, at which point I will be liable for the charges.

Is he right?
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124
    IThe rep at the store did it, but with a warning: according to him, it's possible I will be hit with pay-per-use data charges because MEdia Net is not "compatible" with the Treo. Further, there's no way to tell if that is happening until I receive my next bill, at which point I will be liable for the charges.

Is he right?
    No. I think many in store reps are people that McDonald's turned down because they couldn't rememebr to ask if you want fries with that.

You can check your charges daily via the web site....only reason to use PDANet is if you need VPN....I woulda suggested staying home and using the phone.
    I recently jumped from T-Mo to Cingular to get support for the Treo.

If you think about it.....Becuase of sims, no GSM carrier really knows what you are using? They may log what you originally bought from them. But, if you wanted to, and many of us do, I change phones depending upon my need. Treo for work etc. and a cheap GSM phone for mountain biking, sailing etc. I lose the cheapy...no big expense.

The issue is all a bunch of hooey! Cing and T-Mo had policies designed to maximize revenue (good for them!!) The Treo is a high end device and they saw the opportunity to sell higher end plans to the users of those devices. Whether then need it or not is not an issue.

Us more techie folks looked at it all and said...."Hey wait a minute" and for many uses found a better way. I have MediaNet and before switching used T-Mo web. I could do just about everything I wanted to do. If I had wanted to do more...I could always upgrade the capability. If you can live without the items that are excluded....aim lower...pay lower and live well.

Skigs
    My BBC appears to include unlimited MediaNet and I have no issues using the Treo using the MediaNet function.
    Quote Originally Posted by skigs
    If you think about it.....Becuase of sims, no GSM carrier really knows what you are using?
    Not true, actually. The IMEI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imei) which is used to identify blacklisted devices also identifies make and model. Not like it should matter, but if the carrier wanted to "do something" because you are using a Treo device, they certainly have that information available to them. That said, I really expect that you have nothing to worry about...
    What's funny is that media.net was offered in Cingular stores with the Treo 600 when it came out. Then their marketing devils got the idea of charging for the PDA plan. I've been happily using the unlimited media.net plan with my Treo 650 for some time now without any issues.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124
    I've read here in lots of threads that MEdia Net works just fine with the Treo, and that there's no real penalty for switching from PDA Connect ($40/month) to MEdia Net ($20/month).

So today I added MEdia net using Cingular's web site.

But then I found out there is no way to delete features on the web, and so I had to go to a store to take PDA Connect off my account.

The rep at the store did it, but with a warning: according to him, it's possible I will be hit with pay-per-use data charges because MEdia Net is not "compatible" with the Treo. Further, there's no way to tell if that is happening until I receive my next bill, at which point I will be liable for the charges.

Is he right?
    If you get MediaNet Unlimited you will not get hit for Pay Per Use. Media Net and PDA Connect work identically. They are 100% compatible.
    The in-store folks just don't always really understand how it works. And it's good of them to have warned you.

Log in to your Online account access, check your features. Make sure you don't see any pay-per-use "data connect" on your features list and you DO see "MediaNet unlimited." (It's ok to see "Multimedia pay per use" as that's just for MMS mutimedia messaging.)
    If you're still paranoid, call CS and ask them to make sure pay per use data is not enabled on your account.

On your treo, go to "Prefs" then "Network"
    You should see a profile called "Cingular GPRS" OR "MEdia Net". It could say either one depending on what version of software your Treo is running and when you set it up for the first time (merely a cosmetic difference>)
    This is the profile you should be using already.
    If the "User Name" field has "WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM" then you're using the Media Net connection profile already (and you were using it all along!)
    The only thing PDA connect gives you in addition to the Media Net connection profile is one that uses the user name "ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM" or "ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM". As far as I know you'd have to have created this profile manually as the Treo is not pre-configured to us it. This ISP/ISPDA profile is NOT included in Media Net, and that's where they potential for pay per use charges could come in.

Using the ISP access point is the only way you can incur pay per use data charges (if you have Media Net Unlimited), and this would only happen if you asked Cingular to add support for "Data connect pay per use". You would see this in your features list. Otherwise you are simply denied access.

So hypothetically, let's pretend for a second we're all wrong and you end up with a some large bill because of Media Net pay per use data charges. You could call Cingular and tell them to credit you for their mistake because you had an unlimited Media Net data plan. And they will. It'll be a hassle, but you but they'll do it.

One final note. You can obviously get charged pay per use if Media Net unlimited is not on your account. If they put you on Media Works, or just didn't set it up right, for example, this is where some people get burned.

Just make sure you see Unlimited Media Net on your online account access features list before you go using data.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    taylorh,

I signed up for MediaMax 200 yesterday, did the whole MediaNet registration thing online, and it should be working on my Treo tonight. However, when I launch Blazer, I get "Signing on", then it hangs for like a full minute, then I get "Error: GPRS connection no available. Check your settings in Network Preferences and/or try again later. (0x7143)"

I'm wondering if somehow my Preferences are not set up correctly (although I haven't changed anything).

Here are my Preferences:
    Service: MEdia Net
    Connection: GPRS
    User Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: [says "Assigned", but it appears that there is no password assigned]
    APN: wap.cingular
    Fallback: -None-

Do you have any clue why I seem to have the same setup as all of the people who are able to web-surf using MediaNet, while I can't connect? Is there some setup item that I need to change?

Thanks in advance,
    Adam
    Quote Originally Posted by as128
    taylorh,

I signed up for MediaMax 200 yesterday, did the whole MediaNet registration thing online, and it should be working on my Treo tonight. However, when I launch Blazer, I get "Signing on", then it hangs for like a full minute, then I get "Error: GPRS connection no available. Check your settings in Network Preferences and/or try again later. (0x7143)"

I'm wondering if somehow my Preferences are not set up correctly (although I haven't changed anything).

Here are my Preferences:
    Service: MEdia Net
    Connection: GPRS
    User Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: [says "Assigned", but it appears that there is no password assigned]
    APN: wap.cingular
    Fallback: -None-

Do you have any clue why I seem to have the same setup as all of the people who are able to web-surf using MediaNet, while I can't connect? Is there some setup item that I need to change?

Thanks in advance,
    Adam
    Those settings are right, that's not the problem. Especially if those are the built in media net settings from Palm and you didn't change them.

That password by the way is: CINGULAR1
    It says assigned, and it probably is.

It sounds like the 'media net' data isn't set up on your account yet. That's the behavior consistent for not having a data plan provisioned on the account.

Go online to Cingular.com and log in to the OLAM (log - "my account".)
    At the bottom left of the page under 'shop' is "Buy a feature" link. Click on it.
    It will list the features on your account.
    My Media Max plan looks like this:
    MEDIA MAX UNL MSGS (Expired 08/10/06 ) $0.00
    MEDIA MAX 1 MO UNL (Expired 08/10/06 ) $0.00
    MEDIA MAX UNL MNET (Expired 08/10/06 ) $0.00
    MEDIA MAX 1000 MSGS (Eff 08/10/06 ) $0.00
    MEDIA MAX 1000 BUNDLE (Eff 08/10/06 ) $0.00
    MEDIA MAX UNL MNET (Eff 08/10/06 ) $0.00

It looks a bit funny because it's "promotional unlimited" until august 10th, in my case then it switches to the normal media max bundle. Those first 3 (expired 08/10) will go away on 8/10 then and just leave the 3 (Eff 08/10) as the actual bundle. The promo is that you get your first month unlimited (they've always done that.)

The "MEDIA MAX UNL MNET" entry is going to be your media net data. If that's not there, then it's not set up on your account yet.

Also, I have on idea why there aren't prices on the features, but they are mysteriously missing from all of the features on this page. (That's just a glitch.)

Did you sign up with that weird online form on the media bundles purchase page? If so, I *think* that merely sends like an email to a customer service team that adds it by hand and they most likely just haven't done it yet or your request got "lost." Try adding the package through the "available features" tab on that buy a feature page in OLAM. If you do it this way and it's successful, then it will be active immediately. When I had them change me to the media max package over the phone it was reflected on this page in real time.
    The only thing I'm not totally sure of is if you'll still get the promotional unlimited messaging for the first month if you do it this way. I don't have any reason to believe you won't, but who knows. If you do it through the OLAM and don't get the first month promo (and if you care) then call them after the fact and complain that you didn't get your first month unlimited promo and they'll fix it. Again I don't think it'll come to that.

If it doesn't work to do it online (if it's not on the add features page or it gives you an error.) Then I'd just call them during business hours and request if over the phone. They won't ask what kind of phone you have (they just don't) but if they do just tell them it's a razor :/

One last thing, after everything is set up and working, make sure you don't have anything with the words "pay per use" on your features page. If you do then call them back and have them remove them. Those wills screw up billing for you.
    Last edited by taylorh; 06/28/2006 at 01:20 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Thanks. It works now, without me having done anything. The Cingular tech person that I originally spoke to said it would take 1 to 24 hours, and in the end it took a little more than 24 hours.
    There's nothing like saving $28 and only losing 20 messages a month!!! ( I had 20 mms and 200sms and unlimited PDA) I did have a little trouble connecting to GPRS after I switched but a soft reset fixed the problem.
    Thanks for everyones info on how to stop "The Man" from getting all of my money!!!