1.    #1  
    I have been using a Treo 600 and now Treo 650 for 2.5 years with the $19.99 Media Works package. I believe I have always been using the GPRS network as the username for the network setup on my Treo is wap@cingulargprs.com. I would like to see if/how I can start using the Edge network instead of the GPRS network, but I'm not sure what the settings are to get on that network or if I'm even entitled to use it with the Media Works package. Could someone please let me know what the settings are for accessing the Edge network on Cingular and how Edge works vs. GPRS other then just being faster.

Thanks...

Brian
    I dont think the 650 has the internals to run on EDGE.
    650 does have the correct radio to run on EDGE. I don't believe there are any different settings. You should be on EDGE if you have MediaWorks. You must be in an area that supports EDGE. EDGE is available where my home is but I can only connect to GPRS at work. Go to www.dslreports.com/mspeed from Blazer to check your speed on your 650 vs what it was on your 600 to see if you are getting the faster connection speeds. I don't use a Treo anymore but on my Cingular 8125 the connection indicator uses an 'E' when Edge is available and a 'G' when I'm in an area that only GPRS is available.
    I tried the speed test in an area where EDGE is available - speed of 60 kbit/sec with 2.281s latency - not EDGE speeds. If the 650 does have the radio for EDGE, the settings must need to be changed. Why do you think that the 650 should support EDGE?
    Quote Originally Posted by canesfins
    I tried the speed test in an area where EDGE is available - speed of 60 kbit/sec with 2.281s latency - not EDGE speeds. If the 650 does have the radio for EDGE, the settings must need to be changed. Why do you think that the 650 should support EDGE?
    Well you won't find GPRS getting those speeds in many areas. You're in an area with slow EDGE speeds. The 650 has support for EDGE - check the specs. If there are special settings then I don't know them. It shouldn't matter their on the mediaWorks package - it should still pick up EDGE. Like I said - EDGE isn't available everywhere - I sometimes fall back on GPRS. There must be someone in these forums much more knowledgeable that can give the OP a straight answer...
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for all the replies! The Treo 650 definitely supports EDGE data connections as can be seen either on Palm's website for Cingular's (http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/cel...requestid=4077). I am in the metro Washington DC area (Northern Viriginia), so I'm pretty sure I should be able to get EDGE speeds. However, when I run the speed test on dslreports.com, I only get 20kbit/sec with 2.21s latency. So I would definitely say that is not using an EDGE connection. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
    Call Cingular, we can't help you with this.. There are no 'settings' for edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by bwh1248
    I have been using a Treo 600 and now Treo 650 for 2.5 years with the $19.99 Media Works package. I believe I have always been using the GPRS network as the username for the network setup ............
    I have the similar situation as above. Even in Atlanta metro I only get max speeds of 60k. Tried a friends verison Samsung with EVDO. He gets 761K !!!! Is anyone getting EDGE speeds like this or is it time for me to switch to a CDMA Verizon 700p?? I hate to pay double for the media plan but that is almost a 20x increase in speed. Sheez....

Hotoru
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotoru
    I have the similar situation as above. Even in Atlanta metro I only get max speeds of 60k. Tried a friends verison Samsung with EVDO. He gets 761K !!!! Is anyone getting EDGE speeds like this or is it time for me to switch to a CDMA Verizon 700p?? I hate to pay double for the media plan but that is almost a 20x increase in speed. Sheez....

Hotoru
    HA! You won't get even close to 761K with EDGE. Although, 60K is pretty slow for EDGE. I average between 80-120K. EVDO is nice, but there is UMTS/HSDPA rolling out on Cingular. Not any handhelds that support it yet (in the US anyway), but they'll be available soon. You'll see similar to EVDO speeds on Cingular's high speed network. I won't pay more than $20/mo. for a data package on my cell. I already pay for high speed at home and my handheld has WiFi anyway (Cingular 8125).
    Quote Originally Posted by canesfins
    This isn't necessarily true. Just because there is an EDGE network nearby doesn't mean that Treo will automatically attach to it. Think of it this way. You have an 802.11g network and a pre 802.11n network. The speeds of the N network are [significantly] slower further away from the access point than the G network. Ultimately it comes down to a lot of math. I think (and yes this is pure speculation) that the Treo can do some signal processing which takes in signal stength as some numerical value and converts it into a potential data rate. The faster network wins. The same problem exists in many places (especially where Cingular took over former AT&T) where an EDGE network exists, however the Treo chooses the GPRS connection (which may be further away, closer, etc.).

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...isp%40cingular

This thread may help with your settings. It was started by a Cingular employee.