Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I have spoken to two "major account representatives" in the last month with regard to signing up 2500+ users. Anotehr forum user echoed my experience. When inquiring about the 700p, both have told me that "at this point, Cingular does not plan to carry the 700p or the 700w but will be definitely releasing a new Treo in 3rd quarter."

I'm thinking we will see two new Treos on GSM this year....a $750-$900 model and a $399-$499 model to compete with the Q and stuff.
    I've been following simillar threads. I get encouraged each time I read one from JackNaylorPE.

I hope you are right on with your predictions.

I'm T-Mo using unbranded / unlocked 650. I want to stay with the plan, since it is 3,000 anytime minutes, unlimited data, 500 SMS for $55.00 per month (+ tax). I can't imagine switching carriers and giving away this sweet package.

I have no idea if the wireless high speed will come to T-Mo - but if they launch a Treo (either WM5 or POS) in GSM this fall - that improves form factor (thinner), no antennae, wi-fi, camera, memory, clock speed, BlueTooth over my 650 - I will buy one in a split second and unbrand it / unlock it. I'd pay in that ball park for those features. I think that is a reasonable price for that package. I will be able to sale my T650 (barring any unforseen accidents) with all the accessories for a bit of change and make the switch happily.

I'm hoping that a wait will be worth it.
    i'm sticking with my 600 for now
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize
    I've been following simillar threads. I get encouraged each time I read one from JackNaylorPE.

I hope you are right on with your predictions.
    Well I said April 15 - May 15th announcement for the 700p and a release within 45 days so I am 1 for 1 .... but by the skin of my teeth.

I say we see a new GSM Treo announced between September 25 and October 25 and release by December 5th. I figure odds gotta be against me being right twice ... just ask my wife who answers the question "If a man speaks in a forest and no woman hears him, is he still wrong ?" with:

"That's a stupid question . Of course he is wrong."
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Excellent. Just in time for an early Christmas present.
    See the new sagio Report in the "No More Hollywood" thread

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=112252 post 174
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Thanks, Jack.

I read through the Saigo report.

Sounds very positive - especially considering an investors purchase with knowledge of forthcoming product development.

It appears Palm's plan is to introduce two more phones this year:
    1) a slimmer, antenna-less, 3G, high end Treo running WM5+ for the high end market (also to develope the European market where they have been struggling). This will be a GSM phone.
    2) a less expensive, stripped down version for the mainstream market. I cannot tell if this is also GSM or CDMA (maybe both).

I'm very inclined to believe the GSM version this fall will exceed the current features of the 700P. There will have to be more to it than cosmetics - that's why I think it will be WM5+ instead of POS. To allow for things like integrated voice and WI-FI. Just my 2 cents.

Dim-Ize
    I wish they would just say what they are going to do instead of making us wait. I am moving from Cingular to Sprint to get the 700p and SERO.

I like Cingular, but I am not going to wait around for the possiblity of a new Treo. Once good thing is that Sprint has great EVDO coverage. Cingular will really need to push their 3g network to compete.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    They would be better off just telling us something Officially.
    If people knew something was on it's way, they would be less apt to jump ship.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/25/2006 at 02:04 PM. Reason: changed speeling airer
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    ...I like Cingular, but I am not going to wait around for the possiblity of a new Treo. Once good thing is that Sprint has great EVDO coverage. Cingular will really need to push their 3g network to compete.
    I know, it's hard wadding through the minutia of updates on the 700P knowing full well that I have to sit patiently until the fall (minimum).

But, I think (and not simply from wishful thinking) that the wait will be worth it. I would hate to jump ship and then in 4-5 months kick myself.

Those contracts you get in are hard to break.

If you do switch see if you can do so without committing to the time by buying your own phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    Wait patiently and eat bon-bons.

Too lazy to learn something other than Palm
    Too much money in software
    Too much international travel to consider CDMA
    Ditto
    -mbd26
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I was late to upgrade to the 650, December '05. We are still in our honeymoon and very happy. But it doesn't mean I can't look at another phone. I'm very curious what Cingular will do and confident it will be worth the wait. But please, let it be POS.

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Quote Originally Posted by McTreo
    I was late to upgrade to the 650, December '05. We are still in our honeymoon and very happy. But it doesn't mean I can't look at another phone. I'm very curious what Cingular will do and confident it will be worth the wait. But please, let it be POS.

Mac
    My bet is XXXw in fall and XXXp in 1st 45 days of 2007.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    JackNaylorPE,

You really think they will launch a P version of the phone in Q1'07?

That would be interesting. Lately, I've been of the opinion the GSM models would be W only - to appeal to a broader audience in Europe.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm GSM with unbranded / unlocked 650 on T-Mobile. It is ridiculous how often I am checking these boards for a sneak peek (glimmer of hope) at a replacement model.

I love what my phone can do, but I long for a few of the things a next - gen model could bring. Primarily, the smaller form factor, improved BT stack, no antenna and (the feature you are not keenly interested in) concurrent data & voice.

I would be inclined to go with a POS model. But, after reading several posts on this board, it seems like Garnet has some limitations which may not be able to be overcome (sorta like earlier versions of Windows couldn't see large HD's and RAM banks). Maybe they will come out with a completely new OS build.

My concern mainly - is that it seems like the developer pool is leaving POS as a platform - and focusing thier efforts on the WM5+ for a possible greater opportunity in revenue for themselves.

This may be a hunch, but in searching the titles of existing software for both OS's - it seems like there are more "new" apps being written for WM than POS. Maybe that's because POS has been out longer - or maybe it's that the $ is better for the other... dunno.

Wow, it sure is hard waiting when 90% of the posts are for a set of phones which I cannot go to if I want to stay GSM. What is the silly problem anyway? Why can't they get a product out sooner - when the European market is so heavy into GSM... It's frustrating.
  14.    #34  
    Signs seem to be pointing to a snazzy Euro (W) and a Low end (P). If Thats the case I guess I'll be loven' my 650 for a while .It could be worse ! I'm thinking on buying a back up 650 I think that could cary me another year just fine .I'd really like my next device to have a full touch screen,g.p.s.,great sound and say 60gb Then it would fell like a new Phone
    Lately, especially since the 700p release, I have been thinking I will stay w/ my 650 for now. Although I really like my 650, I'm not sure if I'm going to stay w/ palm, if and when a PalmOS Gsm comes out. I feel I'm getting backed into a corner, waiting for them. My recent reasoning has been this; if a good portion of smartphones are now running windows, and more cool phones keep popping up (Q), then I have more choices for new releases. For example; if I get a Q and then something better comes out, I just get it, even if it's a Treo, I still have a windows device. Right now I feel 'Stuck' with Palm. Waiting for them to do something. Yes, I'm sure they're going to do something pretty cool.
    But then again, how long after that for something new?
    Just call me Berd.
    I jumped ship from Cingular to Sprint for the 700p. I was under contract with Cingular, so I will be hit with the $175 ETF. However, with all the discounts I got from Sprint and Palm and the price I got for my 650 GSM on eBay, I am paying about $110 for the 700p. My reception is a ton better on Sprint than it was with Cingular, my rate plan is much lower, and I have EVDO. For me, this was a good change.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    My 650 has been working great for the past few months (touch wood).

But I will jump at the HTC Hermes when it comes out. HTC are now the biggest and best innovator of the industy. And once I go WM, then I am will probably not come back to POS.
    You really think they will launch a P version of the phone in Q1'07? That would be interesting. Lately, I've been of the opinion the GSM models would be W only - to appeal to a broader audience in Europe.
    Palm's been selling 1 million + Treos a year. Less than 20% oif those were WM models. It would seem to be an unnecessary big loss of revenue to drop in porder to take a chance in the new market. I think Palm will keep making POS Treos until pepps stop buying them.

My concern mainly - is that it seems like the developer pool is leaving POS as a platform - and focusing thier efforts on the WM5+ for a possible greater opportunity in revenue for themselves.
    I don't see that at all.....Palm's move to Linux means an even lkarger development pool....and the amount of freeebies on WM seems awfully small.

Why can't they get a product out sooner - when the European market is so heavy into GSM... It's frustrating.
    I am still asking for someone....anyone to post a link to this magic device that has all these new suppossed features and still provides a touch screen, no slide out KB, solid one handed operation and 320 x 320 min screen size....no takers so far. I also don't really see the logic in pushing out a new HSDPA device when there's only 95 major metro areas equipped with HSDPA 3.6 Verizon released the 700w with only 60 MMA's and that didn't exactly rock the charts with its sales. I still have no EVDO or HSDPA in the USA's 22nd most populated county. Well Sprint has one or 2 sites on their coverage map but ya can't even get a phone signal let alone 3g coverage when ya visit those areas.

My guess is we'll see a repeat of this year's strategy....a Windows GSM model will need a 4-6 month exclusive to get any significant marketshare and then a POS, ALP or PLOS model on or about the 2nd anniversary of the 650's GSM release.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    As always - thanks, Jack.

You're assertions and hunches are right on track (from history).
    You're assertions and hunches are right on track (from history).
    There's a slider that has "Common Sense" on one end and "Dumb Luck" on the other. I'm not quite sure where I'd put it myself but I'm sure most would put it farther to the right than the left

Common Sense -------------------0---------------------Dumb Luck
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast