Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys, I'm looking at picking up an unlocked treo 650, a cingular branded one. I currently have a sidekick 2 with the $39.00 a month 1000 minutes, $20.00 unlimited data, etc...

My questions are as followed, my wife and I always send pictures back and forth to eachother... How can I do this if she has a sidekick and I have a treo 650?

Should I keep my $20 data plan?? Should I switch to something else? Can anyone help me out?

I was wondering if anyone could give me a step by step as far as what changes need to be made to my account so i can use the internet/web browing on my new treo 650.

anyone?

thank you.
    I think you have to solve the problem a step at a time. I am no expert, but since no one reply yet, I suggest you try this:

Once you get your Treo, pull out the SIM from you SK, and plug it into the Treo. At that point, you should be able to make calls and you can setup email. SMS should require no setting.

Once you get to that point, you are pretty much done. Not knowing exactly what you have in your plan, you need to try and see. Check if you can web-browse without using the t-mo proxy. See if you can switch to T-Mo VPN. That will help you decide if you want/need to change your plan.
  3.    #3  
    thank you for the reply..

currently my plan includes this:

39.99 plan
    19.99 sidekick data plan
    6.99 mobile to mobile
    5.50 insurance

pretty sure that's it..

do i have to switch to the 4.99 internet plan?
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Love84
    thank you for the reply..

currently my plan includes this:

39.99 plan
    19.99 sidekick data plan
    6.99 mobile to mobile
    5.50 insurance

pretty sure that's it..

do i have to switch to the 4.99 internet plan?
    I'm trying to unravel all these plans too. I just bought two Treo 650s for my wife and I and want to get mobile internet - I read several other threads and heard mention of the 19.99 data plan, but could never find it on the tmobile web site. I think the reason I didn't see it was because it was the "sidekick data plan". Does that sound right?

cheers. --Karl
    I'm pretty sure the sidekick data plan won't work w/Treo. Sidekick has it's own backend servers, APN, etc. You need either the T-Mo internet plan or the T-Mo VPN plan, which USED to be avail for $19.99, but I don't think are anymore.

Howard Forums T-Mo board is a great resource for T-Mo related questions if you need more advice. I think that the "new" T-Mo data plans include T-Mo Hotspot access in the price, so they cost more, but if you frequent Starbucks w/your laptop...
    I do not know anything about the Sidekick data plan.

I do know that you can use two different plans depending on your needs.

TMobile Web plan $5.99 a month works for email and web(with a proxy). Basically ports 25,110,143 & 8080

There used to be a $19.99 plan that has been replaced with a $29.99 plan called T-Mobile Total Internet that will allow you to use all ports.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Crud. Looks like I just missed out on the 19.99 plan. I think we are stuck turning off and on the internet service since we only need it for short term jobs. At 19.99 a month, I'd probably leave it on, but $30 just tips over into the realm of unnecessary luxury for us.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    If you are sending picture messages, you'll need an add-on for that. 500 messages are $4.99 and unlimited are $14.99. The messages can be text, pic or video.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Actually, its more interactive than that; my wife is a private investigator and occasionally would like to use a GPS tracking device. The location is displayed via mapquest or google maps. I did try it out and it does work after a fashion, but I'd like to be able to change font sizes for the maps on the fly so we can see street names.

I was just hoping we'd be able to find a way to get the 19.99 plan.

Thanks for the help!
  10.    #10  
    so if i use the 4.99 plan, the internet on the treo 650 wont work?
    If you mean web browsing than yes, throught a proxy.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

12.    #12  
    so i picked up my treo 650, the internet doesnt work..

so basically i geuss i'll just call t mobile and ask for them to help me set it up?

is that the right way go about it?
  13.    #13  
    well, i called t-mobile and setup this along with my 39.99 1000 minutes plan:

*29.99 total internet
    *4.99 400 text messages (this will include all picture messages as well correct?)

i took off the:

*5.99 equipment protection plan
    *20.00 sidekick internet plan.

so did i do rhte right thing? i'm not going to see any hidden charges am i?
    Correction: Yes, the $4.99 Messaging includes Picture Messages. If you send the picture via email (not via messaging AKA MMS) on the Treo, Total Internet will be used.

Why don't you and your wife sign up for a family plan? T-mo has a family messaging bundle that expires today (5/14). $10/mo will get you unlimited text/picture/video/sound messaging for EVERY line on the family plan and any additional line you add to the family in the future (up to 5 total). This is what I have.
    Last edited by Treo305; 05/14/2006 at 09:33 PM.
    Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Tungsten T|3 > Unlocked Cingular Treo 650 on T-Mo

Favorite Apps: zLauncher (To run apps from SD card), Butler (MUST HAVE), Pocket Quicken, TCPMP, Profiles (Smarter than the Silent Mode switch on the top), MiniTones (to assign Mp3 Ringtones), SplashID, pTunes, VoicePad & NotePad (from a Lifedrive), HS Extension 2.0 Hack, TreoNaviText.
    I have the t-zones $4.99 plan for my internet connection. To get Blazer to work I did this:
    Launch Blazer and press the Menu key. Go to Options > Preferences > Advanced > Set Proxy.
    Check the box for "Use custom proxy" and enter this:
    Proxy Server: 216.155.165.50
    Port: 8080

You should be good to go.
    Great info, Rambo47! Can I ask how you came to decide on that IP and Port. The reason is I have a weather app from tinystocks.com that can update current weather info on demand. However, I am not able to get it to connect. It also has the ability to set a custom proxy but when I plug in the same numbers - no go.

Thanks for your insight. Is it just trial and error with free proxy servers?

townster
    I recall those settings were bandies about on another forum not too long ago. Perhaps it was Brighthand, but I don't recall. I gave it a shot and it just worked.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    I have the t-zones $4.99 plan for my internet connection. To get Blazer to work I did this:
    Launch Blazer and press the Menu key. Go to Options > Preferences > Advanced > Set Proxy.
    Check the box for "Use custom proxy" and enter this:
    Proxy Server: 216.155.165.50
    Port: 8080

You should be good to go.
    so rambo, I can cancel my $29.99 total internet and just sign up for the 4.99 t-zones plan and be able to access the internet ANYWHERE and not just t-zone places?
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    An important note... the $4.99 multimedia plan uses the Tzones internet connection! So as long as all you want to do is simple web browsing through T-Mobile's proxy, you should be able to get by with just that.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  20.    #20  
    with just t-mobile's proxy, is there anything that i'm limited too?

will my verichat still connect through blazer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast