Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    I'm traveling in Europe and will be going to Asia later today. My phone sees the networks where I am, but won't register.

Before I left, I went to the store and added international service.

And of course Cingular customer service is closed Sundays, so they're no help.

Does anyone here have any ideas about how I might get service?

Thanks

(I have a conference call at noon my time today which I can't get on now. I'm so furious right now, I'm thinking about switching to TMO once I get back.)
    Did you ask CS to add 'International dialling' or 'International Roaminng' service? The first one is for dialling international # from your home country, whereas the latter is for roaming in foreign countries. The CS normally won't make the mistake but I always make sure that they added the correct type via the Cingular website.
    If you have a Treo, dial the + sign before the number you are trying to call. It worked for me when I was in Italy.
    I do travel often to Europe and Asia with my cingular treo 650 - it seems to work fine. I assume you have reset your treo a few times already, if not, please do so. Secondly, please try to pick it a network to register with IT (menu, select networks...), instead of letting treo register the default network - perhaps the default network doesn't have an agreement with cingular. T-mobile, Orange are safe bets of having a roaming agreement with cingular. If that doesn't work, buy a local sim to tide you over until you can get on line with cingular, of course, that requires an unlocked phone.

let's us know how you are doing

zinan
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CountZero
    Did you ask CS to add 'International dialling' or 'International Roaminng' service? The first one is for dialling international # from your home country, whereas the latter is for roaming in foreign countries. The CS normally won't make the mistake but I always make sure that they added the correct type via the Cingular website.
    Bingo.

I asked for "Roaming", they apparently gave me "dialling". And charged me for "Roaming."

My wife went to a Cingular store back home that's open on Sunday and got it fixed, I'm all set.

Thanks everyone.
    jg - what' the roaming rate? data? which country?

I was told to get local sim as more cost effective.
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Playcentric
    jg - what' the roaming rate? data? which country?

I was told to get local sim as more cost effective.
    Switzerland and Malaysia this week. Switzerland, Serbia and Italy next week.

The rate is expensive - about the same as with TMO, much more than with Sprint's international loaner - even if you buy Cingular's $6/month "preferred" international plan. (For instance, Serbia is $3.99/minute with Cingular, $2.99/minute with TMO, and $1.50 with Sprint).

If you have time, and an unlocked phone, then a local SIM is absolutely cheaper. But it won't work for me - my phone is not unlocked, I'm only ever in a place for a couple of days, and I need my regular number.
    thanks for the roam rate info and have a safe trip
    CNG ATTWS Treo650