Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Hi American folks,

I'm coming in two weeks to visit for the first time your country. My trip will include Washington area, Seattle and San Francisco.

As of today, I'm the owner of a Treo 650 with an Orange SIM card. As I want to receive call from abroad for a low cost and to access data services, I need to buy a prepaid SIM card.

- Is it possible to open a line without having an address in the US ?
    - What proof of identity do I need to open the line (if any) ?
    - Where can I do it ?
    - Which provider do you recommend (coverage / data cost) ?

Thanks for your help !

Gerome
    Last edited by Gerome; 05/03/2006 at 04:14 PM.
    You can stop by one of the malls and get a prepaid sim card for your treo. There is South Center Mall about 5 minutes away from the airport.

Oh and the two major GSM companies in this area are T-mobile and Cingular.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Thanks for your feedback ! Could you confirm that I do not need a valid US address/proof of ID to get a prepaid SIM card ?
    you can do a passport. Honestly though, you dont need an actual valid address. when you go to register the sim card under a prepaid account, they just need a physical address from you. It can be the address of the store, it can be the address of your hotel. it doesn't really matter.
    Go to eBay and do a search for prepaid SIM cards from T-Mobile and Cingular. I did this and spent MUCH less money (and they don't ask for any details from you like an address).

Two major problems with American Pre-Paid SIM cards: (1) you pay when you make AND receive calls and (2) NO data services. I don't know why they can't provide pre-paid data, but unlike SIM cards I've bought in many other countries, they don't. Jerks. Mainly in the US they assume pre-paid SIM users are drug dealers or worse, and treat you as such.

Nonetheless, as an American abroad I hope you enjoy your trip!
    -mbd26
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    You can use a T-Mobile prepaid SIM and browse the web using this proxy setup in Blazer:

Proxy: getmorespeed.t-mobile.com
    Port: 8080

You can access t-zones (with your prepaid balance etc.) using:

Proxy: 216.155.165.50
    Port: 8080

And it still works on the east coast as I just returned from NYC/Atlantic City last weekend. I also used it in Miami last October.

Also, it never worked on the west coast.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by eKeith; 05/11/2006 at 11:38 AM.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Oh yeah... that's for free too...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Thanks a lot for your feedback!

I'm very surprised by the fact that you have to pay to receive call! I never heard about that before... That's really a shame!

I've got a VoIP telco in France who provide free call to US mobile phone numbers and I was hoping to use a pre-paid SIM card to receive call form abroad for free...

Is there a way to achieve that simply?
    Thanks,

Gerome