Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    The responses to my question about costs in the other thread were great. http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=111501

Here's a summary of what I've learned at TC and on HoFo. Please feel free to make corrections.

------------------------
    1) CING has better coverage than TMO, especially in more remote areas of the US.

1a) Some people report that TMO has better roaming coverage than CING in Europe.

2) CING's "official" PDA Connect plan is $40/month, which is more than TMO's "official" plan ($30/month). But you can unofficially get the CING MediaNet plan, which has the same basic functionality as PDA Connect for $20/month. (PDA Connect allows for VPN connections, and may or may not be faster than MediaNet).

3) Some TMO users have been able to get on an old TMO data plan that costs $6/month. However, it doesn't work with apps that can not use a proxy, such as Verichat or Worldmate. And recently, people have been reporting trouble getting it to work even with the proxy.

4) CING's international data roaming rate *is* about 25% higher than TMO's (1.9 cents versus 1.5 cents per kb).

5) CING's international voice roaming rates *are* 30-50% higher than TMO's. You can get lower rates if you buy CING's $6/month international plan, but even then the rates in some countries will be higher than for TMO. For instance, in Serbia, CING is $3.99/minute with or without the international plan, TMO is $2.99/minute. (As a point of comparison, Sprint's international voice rates are $1.50/minute everywhere, although of course you need an unlocked GSM phone to make use of them).

6) You can get a CING handset with a new account for $275 from a company store, maybe about $250 from a franchise. You can get it from Amazon for $150, but Amazon can't transfer an existing number to CING. You can get it for even less at one of the many Wirefly clones such as Buy.com, but it takes a long time (6 months) to get your rebates, and many people have reported trouble getting their rebates at all.

7) TMO doesn't officially support the TREO, which may or may not be an issue in the future. But it definitely makes it difficult to get support for connection issues or newbie problems.

8) To use the TREO on TMO, you have to buy an unbranded Treo. You can get one from Palm for ~$600, or from J&R in New York for $300 (if you get a two year TMO contract). If you buy an unlocked device from Ebay or Craigslist, beware - sometimes they're not really unlocked, and sometimes the carrier won't except the EIN for other reasons, in which case you're screwed.

9). CING doesn't offer hardware protection for the Treo. Neither does TMO, although if you buy it from J&R, you can get an "extended warrantee" for $49 which covers hardware failures only. Either way, if you drop it, you're on your own. (You may be able to get insurance against theft from your homeowners' or from State Farm.)
    Last edited by jg70124; 04/19/2006 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Added 1a
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    You can officially get unlimited medianet on the treo through cingular. Website, call a CSR and even in store upon purchase. Just tell them you do not need VPN. If you need to utilize VPN, then yes you need PDA net
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Thanks, jg70124. Nice summary. I have T-Mo and have stuck there because of the data plan pricing differential.

I have fine coverage from T-Mo (L. A. metro area) so that's not an issue.

But the $20/month Cingular data plan matters. I have an unlocked/unbranded Treo that is coming from Amazon for $580. It's on the UPS truck now. I could send it back and get a 650 from Cingular for WAY cheaper. That might be the reason to switch.

I go to Europe and T-Mo international roaming was fine. Data and voice both. I'd get a cheapie quad band flip phone and buy prepaid SIMs, carry the cheapie for in-Europe yapping and the Treo for data and receiving calls from the U.S.

www.telestial.com is one place that a buddy of mine uses for his SIMs -- Canada, India, Pakistan, elsewhere. Swears by these people. He has a cool little credit-card sized SIM holder in his wallet with 4 different SIMs for the different countries he goes to.
    2. There is nothing "unofficial" about MediaNet.

5. My understanding is that no one roams internationally, you buy a prepaid SIM when you get of de plane.

6. Amazon's CNG phone is $85 counting the value of free BT headset ($155-$70 for $99 MSRP headset). My local brick and mortar will sell you a CNG Treo 650 (as a new customer) for under $150. I signed my rebates over to the store and took the cash but don't know if you can still do that. I got a 1 year contract for $74 less than what Amazonw as offering last year with teh 2 year contract.

8. You can unlock a Cingular after 3 months with "account in good standing".

9. Pay with AMEX and your warranty is doubled.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    2. There is nothing "unofficial" about MediaNet.

5. My understanding is that no one roams internationally, you buy a prepaid SIM when you get of de plane.

6. Amazon's CNG phone is $85 counting the value of free BT headset ($155-$70 for $99 MSRP headset). My local brick and mortar will sell you a CNG Treo 650 (as a new customer) for under $150. I signed my rebates over to the store and took the cash but don't know if you can still do that. I got a 1 year contract for $74 less than what Amazonw as offering last year with teh 2 year contract.

8. You can unlock a Cingular after 3 months with "account in good standing".

9. Pay with AMEX and your warranty is doubled.
    Jack, is AMEX still doubling, I thought they stopped that and at times will offer like an additional 30-60 day warrenty.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    6. ... My local brick and mortar will sell you a CNG Treo 650 (as a new customer) for under $150. I signed my rebates over to the store and took the cash but don't know if you can still do that. I got a 1 year contract for $74 less than what Amazonw as offering last year with teh 2 year contract.
    I went to two different Cingular company stores, one Cingular-only franchise, and 3 all-brands stores, and none came close to the deal you describe. The Cingular stores offered the phone for $$275 and $300. The franchise offered it for $250, but they didnt' have it in stock. Two of the all-brands stores didn't offer the Treo at all, the 3rd said he could get it in 3-4 days but didn't know the price.

Also, none would give me a 1-year contract.

So either its a regional thing (I'm in Northern NJ) or I don't know how to ask the right questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Jack, is AMEX still doubling, I thought they stopped that and at times will offer like an additional 30-60 day warrenty.
    Don't know if it covers all cards but I called two weeks ago before buying a new laptop and they double the warranty up to a year.

3 months becomes 6
    6 months becomes 12
    1 year becomes 2
    2 years becomes 3

5 years becomes 6
    the end
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124
    So either its a regional thing (I'm in Northern NJ) or I don't know how to ask the right questions.
    Maybe he just extra nice to me I don't know . But I paid $325 on the day the darn thing was released and he said the price has dropped almost $200 since then. Ya ever get out to long island ? See my PM.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Don't know if it covers all cards but I called two weeks ago before buying a new laptop and they double the warranty up to a year.

3 months becomes 6
    6 months becomes 12
    1 year becomes 2
    2 years becomes 3

5 years becomes 6
    the end
    Cool, I use my AMEX for all virtually all purchases, but for some reason I thought they stopped the warrenty program. I had them replace a camorder I dropped in Rhine river several years ago.
    <QUOTE> 3) Some TMO users have been able to get on an old TMO data plan that costs $6/month. However, it doesn't work with apps that can not use a proxy, such as Verichat or Worldmate. And recently, people have been reporting trouble getting it to work even with the proxy.</QUOTE>

T-Zone, now called T-MobileWeb,($6 plan) is not an old plan. It is an unlimited data plan with some closed ports requiring the use of the dreaded proxy.

Verychat can be used with this plan. Don't know about Worldmate. Emails work fine and do not need any special setting with this plan.

Until recently in some areas T-Mobile servers were not configured properly. As a result people in those area did not need proxy setting and could use all the ports. T-Mobile has recently stopped these holes. Now everyone has to go through proxies and has to face other limitations of blocked ports. The proxy works.

For unlimited web browsing and unlimited emails $6 is a great price.

Even though Treo is not supported by T-Mobile, I have always got good support. For example, incoming calls were going to voicemail too quickly when I changed my SIM from Nokia to Treo. In the Nokia I could select the number of rings before a call goes to voicemail. In Treo there is no such setting. I called T-Mobile CS. As soon as I told the CSR I have a Treo 650 he said he was going to transfer me to the "data group" or some such thing. The guy there knew how to fix my problem.

The bottom line is I am quite happy withT-Mobile's "no support" support.
    Prio Treo
    Unlocked Unbranded Treo 650 on T-Mobile-T-Zone
    I found Cingular data faster then T-MO data.

Around where I am, (northern NJ) I found Cingular better then TMO along highways. But when I am over a mile from a highway, like in town in a restaurant, I found TMO better.
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124
    Curious as to how you did with ABC cellular ? were they able to get ya the $150 price ?
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    The Center Moriches guy said he could, but that's too far from my office. The Wayne (NJ) guy was a little less certain, and he needed me to make two visits (one to do the application, one to collect the unit). Since even that store is about 40 minutes away, I elected to go locally and pay the premium.