1.    #1  
    Hello everyone,

I bought a cingular branded Treo that was flashed by the seller (99.9% positive feedback) with a unlocked firmware about 7 months ago. I have been using it fine the past 7 months and also succesfully did firmware updates on it from palm's website for the unlocked gsm versions. I have been using it with a T-Mobile sim (in los angeles).

Yesterday as I was downloading email the Treo froze and then rebooted. Once it came back up I got the "Locked: You cannot use this Sim card" error message. I was pretty shocked and thought maybe its an error or a bug...so I removed the battery and rebooted again and same error message.

I then did a factory reset (reset button, power button and the up key) and tried it then and still the same.

When I do a phone info I get the following:

Firmware: 01.71
    Software: Treo 650-1.20-ENA
    Hardware: A
    CC-Cap: ENA-ENA-001
    Carrier DB: 255

Any idea what happened and why? Am I now looking at paying $20 or so to get my phone unlocked from ebay? Or is there another way?

Any info would be appreciated.

regards,
    Aashish
    "Flashing" doesn't unlock anything. The only way to unlock a phone is to get the unlock code from the carrier or a questionable 3rd party source. To my knowledge, phones don't get relocked. I would try a couple of things.

1. Hard reset so that phone is wiped of all info but ROM.
    2. Try another SIM, maybe yours is fried.

Also, did the seller give you a copy if the unlock code ?
    Yea, What Jack Said

I think some tend to confuse "Unlocked" with "Unbranded"
    Your Cing Phone running ENA, rather than CNG or CNB, is "Unbranded" Like Mine.
    Mine is also "Unlocked" that is; I am not "Locked" to just a Cing Sim.
    Just call me Berd.
    Sounds like a SIM issue to me.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Sounds like a SIM issue to me.

Yep!
    Gimme the P-Funk!
    I have had a phone get relocked. I had the unlock code and just entered it and it became unlocked again. The unlock code I believe is held in a token, pretty hard to relock.

Try to get the unlock code from the seller.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  7. blw
    Hmm... so "locked" actually refers to the SIM card?

I bought an unlocked 650 directly from Palm. I transferred my SIM card from a 600 that I had bought previously from T-Mobile. Sometime last week I was doing something in the Treo and I noticed that it said that the phone was locked. Unfortunately I don't know what I did to get that display, but I was rather surprised.

Is my phone really locked? I had to buy an unlocked phone so it would work with my T-mobile service, or so I thought. It does that - but I suppose if it's really bound to my SIM card that is no surprise as that card was originally purchased from T-mobile. Will I be able to put an Asian SIM card in my phone (I am frequently travelling in China)?
    i had very few t650's (2 maybe) become relocked... unlocked it again with the unlock code.

-so yep, it does happen once in every blue moon.