Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    I'm thinking of switching over from Sprint, so I can use my phone overseas. If I do, I'm leaning towards TMO, because their plans seem to be cheaper than Cingular's.

For instance:
    - data plan - TMO = $30/month, CING = $40/month
    - international voice - TMO = $1-3/minute, CING = $2-5/minute
    - international data - TMO = $0.015/kb, CING = $0.020/kb

Based on those rates and my estimated usage, I'm figuring that for a 3 week trip to Europe and Asia, TMO would cost me about $425 for voice and data roaming, and Cingular would cost about $525.

Can anyone comment? Does that seem about right?
    T-Mobile's rates are in fact cheaper. But if coverage matters to you Cingular blow T-Mobile away. Cingular's network here in the states is second to none.
    T-Mobile, generally has cheaper plans. The coverage issue really depends on where you are and where you plan ongoing in the U.S. I've had T-Mobile in North Jersey, NYC, San Francisco & Los Angeles (living wise, plus have visited some other major cities) and have had pretty solid service.

It's outside of the cities in rural areas that I always had the worst service while people with either Verizon or Cingular tended to do a little better. It hasn't been a big deal to me because I'm usually in urban areas and my coverage is solid, but if you plan on traveling to more rural areas you'd probably be a bit safer with Cingular or Verizon.

As for European use, I'm not all that familiar myself, but the people I work with who travel say it's a lot cheaper just to buy a pre-paid sim card when they travel and that it's alot cheaper than enabling their plan for overseas use. But, as I said, I don't have personal experience with that myself.
    I dont know how much data you use, but you may be able to get Cingular's MediaNet package put on your plan for only $20/month with unlimited data.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies. 80% of my US-based travel is in urban areas, but decent coverage is important for me even for the last 20%. And if it's true I can get Media Net for $20 (instead of the PDA plan for $40), then I guess I'll go with Cing.
    I have used both T-mobile and Cingular. I am currently a Cingular user. I have used my 650 in urban and rural areas in the US, Israel, the UK, Switzerrland, Peru and SE Asia. All with little difficulty. However out of the US, it can get verrrrry expensive. I now buy sim cards if I am going to be in an area for more than 72 hours. In addition I have found that the techs and Cingular customer service people are the best I have found.
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124
    Thanks for the replies. 80% of my US-based travel is in urban areas, but decent coverage is important for me even for the last 20%. And if it's true I can get Media Net for $20 (instead of the PDA plan for $40), then I guess I'll go with Cing.
    You definitely can get the $20 plan. If a CSR "suggests" otherwise, merely tell him / her that you do not need VPN .... I am assuming of course that you don't need VPN.
    check to see if your employer has ny discounts with either carrier. in my case, the discount with cingular made up for the pricr difference with T-Mo. I'd also agree that cingular's coverage is better.
    What is the Media Net plan for $20 on Cingular. I looked at their site, but cannot find it. All I could find was the $40 unlimited data plan. I plan on getting 2 Treo 650s.

Also, I use a great deal of SMS, ~1000 per month.

Thanks for any advice you can offer,
    Russell
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender Doc
    What is the Media Net plan for $20 on Cingular. I looked at their site, but cannot find it. All I could find was the $40 unlimited data plan. I plan on getting 2 Treo 650s.

Also, I use a great deal of SMS, ~1000 per month.

Thanks for any advice you can offer,
    Russell

here is the website. I used the $40 plan for several months, could not get a CSR to change it, and the website would not let me change it. The CSR's have been instructed to allow medianet for the 650 and the website issue is supposedly corrected.

https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase

I have had absolutely no issue with the medianet package.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Thank you, you answered my exact question. I was looking at the website, but the Treo 650 was not listed under the Media Net capable phones.
    Thank you, you answered my exact question. I was looking at the website, but the Treo 650 was not listed under the Media Net capable phones.
    Yeah it's a big trick Cingular tries to play on you, to make you think that MediaNet won't work on a Treo. It is in fact the same identical thing as the PDA plan for $40 but for only $20 and doesn't give you access to the second access point for VPN support (which you don't need.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Does the wap gateway (medianet) work outside of the US (in Europe or Asia)? Or will I need the ISP APN (Data Connect).
    wap and isp gateways should aways work on your Cingular device when you're roaming, no matter where you're roaming. When you're roaming you're just roaming on the partner's GPRS/EDGE networ, but you're actually connecting back through cingular's access points using Cingular's settings.
    So the answer is both should work alike.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Yeah it's a big trick Cingular tries to play on you, to make you think that MediaNet won't work on a Treo. It is in fact the same identical thing as the PDA plan for $40 but for only $20 and doesn't give you access to the second access point for VPN support (which you don't need.)
    After a rash of former BB and exchange uses complaining that their e-mail didn't work, CSR's were trained to suggest PDANet. If you simply tell them you don't need VPN or you just add it yaself, there's no issue. CNG's problem is that they asked palm if the Treo uses VPN and took the "Yes, if ...." answer and seemed to have, at least initially, stopped listening after hearing "yes".
    On Cingular, if I got MediaNet, do I need to purchase any SMS package or is it included?
    On Cingular, if I got MediaNet, do I need to purchase any SMS package or is it included?
    MediaNet is for data only.
    SMS and MMS are both billed separately. So you'll need to get an SMS package. It's too bad they don't combine SMS/MMS into just "messaging" like T-Mobile has done but they don't. This would greatly simplify things.

They have "Media Bundles" called "Media Basic" and "Media Works" which are packages that include data (MediaNet), SMS, and MMS all in one convenient package for $10 or $20/month.
    See "Media Bundles" on this page:
    https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase#step2

HOWEVER, neither of those bundles include unlimited (media net) data. The bundles have a limit on data, and trust me you would rather have unlimited data. Therefore in order to get unlimited data, you'll need to purchase each of these pacakges separately:

$20 MediaNet Unlimited - For Data
    https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase#step1
    $3-$20 SMS Package - For SMS/Text Messaging
    https://www.cingular.com/media/text_messaging_purchase
    $3-$5 MMS Package - For MMS/Multimedia Messaging (aka picture messaging)
    https://www.cingular.com/media/multi...aging_purchase

Or, you don't have to get a SMS or MMS package, you can pay per use if you want. It just cost more in the long run if you use a lot of either.

I have:
    $20 for Media Net Unlmiited
    $10 for 1000 Text messages
    $0 for 0 (Pay per use) Multimedia Messaging (I rarely use this.)

Keep an eye out, though. There is a rumor that in less than a month they are going to be adding a new "Media Bundle" called "Media Max"
    Media Max is rumored to cost $30 and include:
    Unlimited data (MediaNet/Internet)
    2500 Text Messages
    Unlimited MMS
    Unlimited basic video (for 3G phones)
    Here's the thread about it at Howard Forums:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...=868402&page=1

That sounds like an awful lot for $30 compared to the (overpriced) plans they currently have, but it should be some combination of those thing and hopefully still be unlimited data.

So sign up for a text messaging plan and keep your eye out for Media Max, switch to it when and if they start offering it.
    I assume details would be posted here when they are:
    https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Thanks. MediaMax is exactly what I am looking for.

I hear that the Treo 800 for GSM is a rumor, but I am looking forward to it or a similar device.

I have had Sprint for 7 years. I am happy with them, except that I cannot easily switch phones via SIM card. I have read about a near-future technology of a CDMA SIM card called a RUIM (Removable User Identity Module) card. If/When Sprint uses these in their phones, I will probably switch back to Sprint. This is main reason why I am changing to Cingular for now.

Locally, the coverage is about the same.

Secondly, the closest Sprint Store is an hour away and Cingular has a local store. I tire of having to drive to Sprint when I have a problem at $3 per gallon for gas.
    I hear that the Treo 800 for GSM is a rumor, but I am looking forward to it or a similar device.
    Check out this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=112252
    Unless that's what you're referring to already.
    One thing is for sure, Palm will have SOMETHING on cingular this year with HSDPA and I really believe that photo of what was thought to be "Hollywood" (at the time) is what that new device will look like. Not like I care what it looks like, but the point is I believe there will be a WM5 Treo with 3G data on Cingular this year.
    Well they have to release something new.

I do really like the ability to change SIMs in phones.
    I have a T-Mobile pre-paid SIM which I hardly use (long story) which I can, on any whim, use in my Treo instead of my Cingular SIM.
    Likewise when my wife or I have a problem with our Treos or service, I can swap my SIM in her Treo and do a little troubleshooting.
    I also have a couple of older GSM phones that I put my SIM in once in awhile.
    And finally, I have a Sony Ericsson PC-Card EDGE modem that I use my SIM in. It's a laptop modem that I use my SIM in with my Media Net unlimited data plan. (I only do this on very rare occasions and for short durations.)

The convenience of SIM alone isn't, in my option THE deciding factor, I just like it. The reason I'm on Cingular and not on Sprint is that anyone I know that ever calls me from a Sprint phone breaks up constantly. They don't hear it on their (recieving end) but I'm constantly telling them to repeat what they said because the broke up. I just don't experience this on GSM. But that's a hole other debate.
    If it wasn't for that I'd probabally be on Sprint.
    Last edited by taylorh; 04/20/2006 at 01:46 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Wow MediaMax sounds awesome.. $10 more than it used to be with the old MEdia Net Unlimited bundle, but oh well..