Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Represents an interesting cellular situation. I'm on Cingular, and have international roaming. I'll be on Royal Caribbean out of FL this May. They have an agreement of some sort, the details of which I'm unclear. I'll be in Jamaica one day, George Town the next.

What are your recommendations la SIMs, roaming plans; best rates, etc.?

Thanks!
    I bet roaming charges would be a big ouch!

The last time I went on a cruise I could not get a signal outside of FL. Fortunately, Carnival had a nice Internet cafe that I became familar with.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Yeah, past the Keys I didn't get a signal at all.. Although what's really funny is on the way back in, I apparently had some SMS's waiting on me because about 3am all of a sudden I heard BEEP BEEP.. BEEE BEEP.. BEEP BEEP... So I was like wth, checked my phone, and I was getting SMS's in. Didn't see any lights out the porthole, but I assume we were passing the far end of the Keys with a cell tower or something.

I found that SMS's involved no roaming fees.. Data I'm not sure about. A few calls I got in the keys I paid about $.80/minute for.. :-/
    Well Mr Iomatic it seems like we both will be in the same cruise, i am going to a Royal Caribean some time in may as well. I found out from a friend of mine (also works with Cingular) told me not to use my phone on the trip reson beeing yes its true Cingular and Royal Caribean do have some sort of agreement when it comes to using your phone on thier boats, the agreement is you will get charged 1.49 a minute when on the boat and 2.49 when ur off, the catch is when ur about to dock all though your still on the boat you might be picking up local land towers, for instance the boat is going to Jamaica and we are like 1 mile away there could be a possiblity that you will be icking up Jamaican tower and getong charged $1.49 a minute, best case is to do what i did have Cingular unlock the phone and buy a Pre-paid sim. That is what i am planning to do.
    If you dont want to hassle with the new sim ect...call cingular today and turn on World Traveler. They charge like 6$ and give you discounted roaming rates. Do the math and see if it saves you any $$ doing that instead of forwarding your calls. I have always found it's much better than wasting 5 mins to an hour looking for SIM's to buy.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Yup. My Treo is unlocked AND international roaming is on (checked in Mexico!) I saw some SIMs; not sure which ones are recommended.
    Where did you see these sims ast, I'm looking for some myself
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts