Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Ive been having a problem where i work with my treo going from 0-1 bars of service to full service with me standing in the same spot. I work at radioshack and we have a v557 as a store phone and i put it right next to my treo and it maintains full signal. I dont know if im jumping towers or what but its just starting to worry me that something is wrong with my treo. My store isnt the best with reception in the first place, verizon doesnt even work in it, but like i said the store 557 seems to always have full signal. I was thinking of the manual network hack but it makes me a little nervous putting it on there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot

Ty
    Have no fear with the manual network hack. Many have tried it with no negative issues. I assume you know where to find it if you are mentioning it. Try it, and see if another network besides the default Cingular gives you better strength.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Exactly. Find the one that matches your phone Software/Firmware version, and then install it via FileZ or whatever utility you use.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    if i install it can i still have it function as if it wernt installed, ie: search for towers automatically or will i always have to select the closest tower. Also, i read somewhere the only way to uninstal it is to do a hard reset. Is this true? Thanks
    1. If you install it, you can just set it to automatic if you want. Selecting "Automatic" will be as if you never installed the Network hack. What this means is with the Cingular sim in the phone, it favors the Cingular Orange tower first, then the others (Cingular Blue, or T-mobile if roaming agreement).
    Then, if you specifically want to select a particular tower, you can to do so manually by selecting whichever tower is listed. They probably all say "Cingular". The first is the Orange, the following may be Blue, or T-mobile. In any event, it doesn't matter what they are if you get more bars.

2. To uninstall, simply find the file using FileZ, and delete. Hard Reset is not required.
    Last edited by mistercoffee1; 03/20/2006 at 03:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Thanks a lot for your help mistercoffee, youve been a huge help. I think i will download and install it when i get out of work tonight. It seems to just be a problem in my store where i work so hopefully it will fix it.

Ty
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    thought i would just follow up and say that i did install the network hack and its pretty damn cool. It seems to have fixed my problem of my low signal at work. I was standing in one spot with 2 bars with the network on "automatic" and i went to select network and selected the 2nd of the 3, im assuming cingular blue, and my signal went to full. Im always looking for something wrong since i got the treo refurb but once again there is abolutely nothing wrong with it....knock on wood....
    Treo 650 Reception Problem – Fixed?
    I'll just tell my story, and see if anyone can learn anything from it.
    I bought a used 650, the antenna was detached due to lost screw, so i replaced screw.
    It had terrible phone reception, i had no signal at my house (we do have alum. siding, which causes some problems, but i'd always had ok reception before). I thought the phone wasn't working. Downtown (Chicago) i had ok reception. Since i'd gotten a good deal on the phone, i was willing to experiment. Bought an external antenna – let me clarify this: NOT the rip-off “antenna booster,” not an inductive one, but one that plugs into the phone. There is a small plastic thinggy which pops out just below the antenna, you plug in an adapter cable, then an antenna – usually sold to put on the roof of your car, etc. if you're in a rural area.
    The signal immediately improved, and i tried various combinations, etc.
    BUT a funny thing also happened: after i detached the antenna, the signal was still much better than before.
    The adapter cable has a little pin that goes into the socket, which leads me to two theories:
    1.the pin pushes against the built-in antenna connection and made it stick to the circuit board better.
    2.(less likely) there's actually some sort of simple micro-switch which disables the built-in antenna when you plug in an external one, and that switch was sticky.
    I'm now disenclined to disasseble the phone – now that it's working better – but maybe someone knows more about the mechanics of the phone to confirm this.
    In any case, i went from no reception (i.e. - “No signal, sos only” - to 3-4 bars at home.
    For more info. you can buy just the adapter cable for $5-$10, with the antenna for $20-$30 depending on your options – look on ebay.