1.    #1  
    A few weeks ago I was in Italy on business (the Olympics!) and my T-Mobile T600 died. I went to a local store to buy a cheap phone, but decided to get a new T650 because my company subsidized the cost. It's unlocked, but is brand for TIM, the Italian phone company. My TMO SIM works just fine in there.

Now that I'm home in the US, I've had a few problems with resets and crashes. Lots of time on the phone w/ Palm tech support, but they haven't been very helpful. They won't replace the phone because I bought it out of the country -- even though it's brand new and still in mint condition.

I should probably upgrade the firmware. I'm on a Mac, but can go to a friend's house to use a PC for the upgrade. Do I use the North American unlocked GSM upgrade or will that completely screw up my phone?

If I still have trouble after the upgrade, does anyone live near Torino, Italy? Maybe you could exchange/return the phone for me!

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by dbergman; 04/04/2006 at 05:15 PM.
    You can use an SD updater to get it to 1.20ENA. Regular Palm updater won't work unless you change some tokens.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    You can use an SD updater to get it to 1.20ENA. Regular Palm updater won't work unless you change some tokens.
    Huh? I've never done any kind of firmware upgrade. What is an SD updater? And what are tokens?
    Palm has an "official" updater, that loads via a hotsync. It checks for certain versions and things that are stored in "tokens". The ones it checks will be the 1.06 and TIM values and will fail because they are the wrong versions.

So you either need to run an update that won't check (SD versions) or modify the tokens. The easiest way to do this with your Mac would be the SD updater method. If you want to do this on your friends Windows PC then the easier solution would be to download the RomTool change the TIM token to ENA or ROW then you could run Palm's official updater (Windows only).
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

5.    #5  
    I'd rather use my Mac and the SD updater. Did a search and looks like exactly what I need. So my next question is: SHOULD I do this? Can it really screw up my phone? Or should I just do the TIM update using a Windows machine? If I decide to sell it on ebay, am I better off with TIM FW or unbranded?
    It can, but I have updated mine more times than I like to remember and never had any serious problems. I think having it unbranded will help your resell efforts if that is what you decide to do.