Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    Was asked by a buddy about this and I don't know the answer. He has been offered a CNG 650 for a nice price and wanted an unlocked one. His question was with regard to what I had previously told him that, to my understanding, the way to check was to go to : Phone \ Options \ Phone Lock and if it offers you the option to "Lock SIM", then it is unlocked.

    So here's his new question, If the phone is unlocked by what is indicated above then what is the lock shown on the Prefs \ Network screen ? I am assuming that it means this SIM is locked to the CNG network but not sure.

    And here's my question. Going back to the screen which offers the option to Lock SIM, can one just put in the "unlock code" provided by CNG to originally unlock the phone and thereby turn locking on and off ?

    Seems there might be some advantage to this for security reasons.
  2. #2  
    Or it simply means you can't just accidentally change your Network settings.

    I have a red lock, and I'm on Sprint. If I want to edit the network settings, I have to go through the "are you sure?". "No, I mean really, are you sure??" tap dance.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Was asked by a buddy about this and I don't know the answer. He has been offered a CNG 650 for a nice price and wanted an unlocked one. His question was with regard to what I had previously told him that, to my understanding, the way to check was to go to : Phone \ Options \ Phone Lock and if it offers you the option to "Lock SIM", then it is unlocked.

    So here's his new question, If the phone is unlocked by what is indicated above then what is the lock shown on the Prefs \ Network screen ? I am assuming that it means this SIM is locked to the CNG network but not sure.

    And here's my question. Going back to the screen which offers the option to Lock SIM, can one just put in the "unlock code" provided by CNG to originally unlock the phone and thereby turn locking on and off ?

    Seems there might be some advantage to this for security reasons.
    The only way to really tell if it is unlocked is to use a SIM card from someone other than CNG (like CNB or T-Mo)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    The only way to really tell if it is unlocked is to use a SIM card from someone other than CNG (like CNB or T-Mo)
    That's the problem.....ot exactly easy to come by where everyone yu know uses CNG.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I have a red lock, and I'm on Sprint. If I want to edit the network settings, I have to go through the "are you sure?". "No, I mean really, are you sure??" tap dance.
    I have the red lock too...now I see....I was chnaging it to green hitting done and coming back and thinking ....hmmm I didn't change anything....now I see that while green I can mess w/ stuff.

    So, anyone for the original security / locked question ?
  6. #6  
    Jack,

    mine is locked and i have the option you mentioned above. I think you need a SIM from T-Mobile to test.
    _____________
    Visor -> Treo 650 Cingular UNLocked (Cing. Blue Phone on Orange Network) -> vzw 700p -> VZW Centro (much better)
  7. #7  
    *#*#06# -unlock check
  8.    #8  
    Thx Trim....there's the answer I was looking for !

    You have any idea where to get the full list of these codes as I never seen that one before in other lists....would also like error codes like 4019 explanations.
  9. #9  
    Jack,

    sorry dude, but that code isn't what you are looking for. That is for SIM unlock not subsidy unlock.

    Any T-mo stores nearby? They could pop a SIM in for you and test
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."

Posting Permissions